How to watch American Amazon Prime on Roku in Canada, Australia, or the UK? Amazon Instant Video is a video-on-demand streaming channel that is available on almost all streaming platforms including Roku. Next to Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Go. Amazon Instant Video is one of the best streaming services. However, like other American channels Amazon Instant Video is geoblocked on Roku outside USA. In this help guide, you can find info on how to use Smart DNS proxies or VPN to access Amazon Prime outside USA. Thus, unblock and watch Amazon Instant Video on Roku in UK, Canada, Australia, Germany, France, or Australia.
Unblock and Watch Amazon Instant Video on Roku outside USA with VPN or Smart DNS Proxy
: Amazon recently launched their Amazon Prime Video service globally. If you have signed up for a local Prime Video account, you can use it along with ExpressVPN
to change your Amazon Prime Video region to USA
Unblock Amazon Instant Video on Roku outside US with Smart DNS Proxy
Before going into detail on how Smart DNS and VPN allow you to bypass regional restrictions, it must be noted that none of the Roku streaming devices support changing network settings. Thus, any changes must be done on your router.
If you try to watch any video via Amazon Prime on Roku abroad, you get an error message “This video isn’t available due to geographical licensing restrictions.” So, how can you hide your location from Amazon? By changing your DNS settings on your router, Smart DNS will redirect the portion of your traffic which reveals your location to Amazon. Thus, you can unblock and watch Amazon Prime videos on Roku outside USA.
- Smart DNS supports unblocking Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, Showtime, and other US channels on Roku.
- Other than changing your router’s DNS settings, there is no need to alter anything else. No software installation.
- Smart DNS does not change your Internet speed or affect your streaming capabilities.
- In case your ISP uses DNS hijacking or transparent proxies, switch to VPN in order to watch Amazon Instant Video on Roku overseas.
Register a free Unlocator account to unblock Amazon Instant Video on Roku outside USA. Unlocator is a Smart DNS proxy service that enables users to unblock over 215 streaming channels. Use these tutorials and setup guides to configure Smart DNS on your router.
How to Watch Amazon Instant Video on Roku outside USA with VPN
VPN stands for virtual private network. Connecting to VPN allows you to do two things. First, all your traffic will be encrypted when using VPN. Hence, improved privacy and security. Connecting to a VPN server also changes your IP address according to the country the VPN server is located in. In other words, connecting to a US VPN servers gets you an American IP address. As a result, you can watch all American streaming channels outside USA.
- Similar to Smart DNS, you have to setup VPN on your router to unblock Amazon Instant Video on Roku.
- Enabling VPN on Roku unblocks all American channels including Showtime, ABC Go, Netflix, HBO GO, Amazon Prime, and Crackle.
- Your Internet speed will drop by around 10 to 15% when using VPN.
- DNS hijacking and transparent proxies do not affect VPN’s capability to unblock geo-restricted content.
If you want to give VPN a try, sign up with ExpressVPN. They have VPN setup guides for various routers and do provide 24/7 support in case you need it. Here is a list of the best VPN providers to unblock and watch Amazon Instant Video on Roku outside USA.
Roku with Amazon Instant Video outside USA? Smart DNS or VPN.
Due to the fact Roku does not allow you to change your network settings, getting Smart DNS or VPN on it can be a bit of a challenge for tech-novices. However, once you get your head around it, everything should run smoothly and you will be able to watch US Amazon Prime videos on your Roku abroad.