VPNs are slowly but surely becoming a service most people can’t live without. As popular as they’ve become, many VPN providers have popped up that promise their users’ safety and privacy but fail to deliver on it. In this blog, we’ll be answering the “Is IPVanish Safe” question by taking a look at what this provider has to offer.
Is IPVanish Safe
First Things First
“IPVanish does not collect, monitor, or log any traffic or use of its Virtual Private Network service, under any circumstances, on any platform.”
They are also clear about using cookies, pixels, and Google Analytics on their website. The website collects the following information:
- Average time spent on site.
- Browser type.
- Operating System.
- Bounce rate.
- Page requests.
IPVanish’s Security Features
IPVanish does not claim to be a feature’s heavy VPN. While they might not offer added features, what they do have with regards to security reflects a commitment towards their users.
- Military-grade encryptions: IPVanish uses AES-256 cipher with SHA-256 data authentication and an RSA-2048 handshake. This guarantees that your data is safe. To date, no one, not even a supercomputer, has been able to break this encryption. This encryption is coupled with the most prominent VPN protocols: OpenVPN, PPTP, and L2TP/IPSec. They even offer an OpenVPN setup that is tailored against potential hacks and attacks.
- P2P file sharing: One of the things that attract many users to IPVanish is their torrent-friendly service. Their servers allow P2P file sharing, and their zero-logs policy shows that they have no idea what their users do with this feature. That being said, they dictate the illegal actions they do not tolerate in their Terms of Service pages very clearly.
- Anti-DNS Leaks: Another feature that puts IPVanish ahead of the crows is their DNS protection feature. DNS leaks are a common way that most VPN providers accidentally give away their user’s information. Our experts thoroughly tested out IPVanish and found absolutely no DNS leaks.
- Killswitch: IPVanish will automatically kill your connection if it falters. A kill switch makes sure that your information is protected at all times. In other words, if your connection falters, you will still maintain your anonymity.
Do check out IPVanish’s full review to get a better picture of all this VPN provider has to offer.
Usually, I am very anti any VPN that operates out of the 5 Eye’s jurisdiction. That being said, I’ve managed to make a small exception for IPVanish.
Here’s the only problem with IPVanish being located in the US: If the government asks for the information, IPVanish has to give it.
However, it’s not really that simple. The Government would need to have a warrant to seize the information first (or a court order. Now, unless you’re involved in some illegal activity the US government most probably won’t waste its time on your information.
In other words, if you’re not doing anything illegal, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.
NB: The VPN Guru in no way endorses the use of VPNs or any other software/tool for illegal purposes. The above sentence is there to explain the unlikeliness of the situation.
Is IPVanish Safe to Use – The Verdict
All in all, despite its location, the answer to “is IPVanish Safe” is, simply put, yes. As long as you’re using the VPN for legitimate purposes, then you have nothing to worry about using IPVanish’s services. If you’re looking for a VPN with great usability, fair prices, and high levels of safety, then IPVanish is the service for you.