Overplay is one of the most used Smart DNS proxy services out there. Unfortunately, since Netflix’s crackdown on such service has begun back in February, 2016, more and more Overplay users are reporting that the Netflix proxy error when attempting to watch American Netflix or other regions while using Overplay DNS. The Netflix proxy error states that “You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.” In this article, I’ll introduce another Smart DNS proxy service, Unlocator, that still works with Netflix. You can also use ExpressVPN, as a VPN alternative to bypass the Overplay Netflix proxy error and get US Netflix in UK, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, or Japan again.
Overplay Netflix Proxy Error Fix VPN/DNS Workaround
Overplay Netflix Proxy Error Fix – VPN Solution
VPN is a completely different method to bypass region restrictions, both in terms of setup and functionality. While Smart DNS tricks geoblocked channels to think you are located in a region where they are supported by redirecting specific geo-related traffic, VPN takes a more radical approach. When using VPN, all your traffic is re-directed via a remote VPN server. This has both its benefits and disadvantages.
- Connecting to a VPN server completely hides your IP address. Streaming channels and websites will only get to see the IP address you obtain when you connected to the VPN server.
- To unblock and watch US channels overseas, connect to an American VPN server. This process unblocks American Netflix, Hulu, ABC Go, Discovery Go, WatchESPN, and the rest of US-only channels.
- When using VPN, all your data is encrypted which means you get to increase your privacy online.
- VPN cannot be setup directly on Android, iPhone, iPad, PC, or Mac. You can set it up manually or use the VPN app which most VPN providers offer.
As with Smart DNS proxy services, not all VPNs are working with Netflix. Using some VPN services will also result in the infamous Netflix proxy error message. If you want to use VPN to change Netflix region to USA, use ExpressVPN. They are one of the few VPNs that still properly support Netflix.
Overplay Netflix Proxy Error Workaround – Smart DNS Alternative
If you have configured Overplay on your streaming device or router, you’re already familiar with setting up Smart DNS. The difference between one Smart DNS service and another is the DNS server addresses they use. That means in order to switch over to Unlocator, which still does work with American and UK Netflix, all you have to do is the following.
- Head over to Unlocator and sign up for a free Unlocator account. Signing up does not require a credit card.
- Once you have created your free Unlocator account, follow these setup guides and video tutorials to configure Unlocator DNS on your streaming devices. Alternatively, you can setup Unlocator DNS on your router instead of each devices individually. That process might seem too complicated for some though.
- All what’s left to do is log into your Netflix account and start watching American Netflix again.
In addition to Netflix, Unlocator also supports Hulu, HBO GO, Crackle, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, BeIN Sports, among other streaming channels.
Overplay Netflix Proxy Error Fix with Smart DNS or VPN Alternative
So there you have it. If you wish to change your Netflix region and unblock American Netflix outside USA again, use either Unlocator Smart DNS or ExpressVPN.