has great American channels
. All Rokus support the same US channels from Roku 1, Roku 2, Roku 3 and the Roku Streaming Stick
. The problem is that if you are outside the USA
simply as a Roku fan, or an expat
. You cant even add American channels and apps
to your Roku “Netflix, Hulu Plus, ABC, MLB, NHL, HBO
“. And even if you bring the Roku device from the USA with American channels loaded. The channels will still not work. In this simple guide
, I will show you to to get and American Roku account
, how to bypass location restrictions and unblock/add
American channels on Roku. This guide has been tested in Canada, UK, Germany, Dubai, and France
, it should, however, work anywhere outside the USA
Unblock American Channels and Apps on your Roku
American Channels on Roku – The list
Below you can find a list of the most popular American channels you can find on Roku. There are many more though.
- Amazon Instant On Demand
- Hulu Plus
- HBO Go
- HBO Now
- PBS Kids
- ABC Family
Roku American Channels – The basics
In order to get American channels on Roku you need to appear to be coming from the USA both as an account holder, and as a streaming device. So what you need to do is the following :
- Reset Your Roku
- Sign up for a new Roku account AFTER using one of the two methods below. If you sign up for a Roku account while appearing to be from a non-US location you will NOT get American channels.
- Setup your network “Not the Roku itself, it has limited Network config options” with one of the two methods below.
- Log in with your American Roku account.
- Add American Channels
Get American Channels on Roku – The VPN Way
VPN stands for Virtual Private Tunnel, using a VPN will allow you to set your traffic to be coming all from the USA or otherwise, based on your VPN server. A few notes about VPN are listed below :
- All your traffic is encrypted, this will prevent your ISP or Government watchdogs from spying on you.
- All your traffic is going to appear to be coming from the country of your VPN server “USA in this case”.
- Local stations with geo restrictions “ex: BBC Iplayer if you are in UK”won’t work anymore, as you appear to be coming from US.
- Roughly a 10% bandwidth speed test with a good VPN provider.
- You need a VPN enabled router for Roku to work with VPN.
Below is a list of VPN providers, tested and assessed based on speed, reliability and support quality.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
However, not all devices are supported by VPN “Smart TV, Apple TV are two popular devices that don’t support VPN”. If you are trying to get those devices to work. See the below.
Get American Channels on Roku – The DNS Way
Smart DNS Proxies are a different kind of technology. They do not encrypt your traffic, nor do they re-route all traffic. Smart DNS Providers “at least the good ones” apply a smart logic to only re-route the relevant geolocation aware chunks of your traffic. A few notes about Smart DNS can be seen below:
- No encryption. But in return there is no speed penalty.
- You can watch American Netflix on Roku and BBC Iplayer on your Apple TV at the same time. I.e. multiple regions are supported simultaneously. A total of around 90 sites are supported.
- Easy to setup for Roku or otherwise, all it takes is to sign up, get DNS codes and setup those codes on your router. See Video and Screenshot installation instructions for setup here.
- If you are from a country where the ISP applies transparent proxies and or DNS hijacking. Smart DNS will most likely not work for you.
If you want to give Smart DNS a try. Sign up for a free 7 day trial at Unlocator. Set up your router and enjoy. I did also write a comparison of Unlocator vs Other Smart DNS providers.
How to Get American Channels on Roku outside USA
So in short, by now you should have a pretty good idea how to get an American Roku Account and how to Install American Channels on your Roku using either VPN or Smart DNS. For questions and comments please use the input boxes below. Enjoy!