PlayStation has become so much more than a gaming console, especially when it comes to streaming. Let’s not stray far from gaming for a little bit and talk about some “Game of Thrones”. Ever wondered if you can watch HBO on your PS4? Well, you can, provided you live in the US. If you don’t, follow this guide and learn how to stream HBO Now and HBO Go on PlayStation 4 outside the United States.
How to Watch HBO Now and HBO Go on PlayStation 4 Outside the US
HBO’s content is only available to viewers that live in the United States. That’s due to geo-restrictions. It is a technology that blocks the access of users residing outside the channel’s country of origin (based on users’ geographical location). The channel uses geo-location techniques such as checking your IP address. If you happen to hold a foreign one, you’ll won’t have access to the service.
Even with a valid subscription, once you leave the country and connect to the internet, your IP address will change instantly. Thus, prohibiting you from watching your shows that are available back home. Let me give you an example. Here’s what I got when I tried to watch HBO Now outside the United States:
“Not in service area. HBO Now is only supported in the U.S and certain U.S territories.”
Do you know how frustrating this is when you’re all ready to stream your daily episode on time? What if you couldn’t fix the issue before Game of Thrones starts? You’ll have to avoid your friends to spare yourself some spoilers. No, not really. I wouldn’t be writing this if I don’t have a solution to your problem. It’s quite simple, either use a VPN or Smart DNS. These two methods are the perfect ways to unblock HBO on PS4 outside the US. Let’s take a look at how you can do so below.
How to Watch HBO on PlayStation 4 Abroad With a VPN
A Virtual Private Network is an internet software that allows users to change their virtual location. Imagine yourself in the UK. With a VPN, you can appear to be browsing from the United States and so many more countries around the world. This helps you gain access to hundreds of restricted channels, including HBO.
Before we begin, I need to point out that PlayStation 4 is not natively compatible with VPN clients. However, it’s not hard to set up a VPN on your PS4. In order to get HBO outside the US, you must connect to an American VPN server. This way, you’ll be viewed as if you’re an American resident surfing the internet. As a result, HBO Now and HBO Go will give full access to their content.
Here’s a step by step walkthrough on how to watch HBO on PlayStation 4 outside the US:
- First, you need to sign up with a credible VPN provider. I highly recommend ExpressVPN as it has fast servers in the US.
- Now, you need to install the VPN on your router since PS4 is not compatible with VPNs.
- Sign in and connect to an American server. You’ll find dozens of those in ExpressVPN’s list.
- Wait a few seconds for the connection to take place.
- Once connected, launch the HBO application you have on your PlayStation 4.
- Enjoy premium HBO content on PS4 outside the US.
Results are guaranteed when you operate with ExpressVPN. Every time you connect to one of its servers, you know that you’re safe no matter which website you visit. Not only that, but you’ll also have access to streaming channels in different countries such as Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer. Go ahead try it out, they do offer a 30-day money back guarantee in case you change your mind. Nevertheless, HBO can be unblocked by several other providers. Learn more about them in the following table that highlights the best VPNs for PlayStation 4.
Last Updated 2 Days Ago
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
Smart DNS – An Excellent Alternative
Another way to get HBO outside the US is by changing DNS settings on PlayStation 4, particularly using Smart DNS proxy.
Smart DNS works in a completely different way than a VPN does. You should know this before you proceed. When you’re using Smart DNS Proxy, that extra layer of protection a VPN gives you doesn’t exist. The service is strictly for streaming geo-restricted content, not more.
The benefit of having Smart DNS is that you can stream geo-blocked channels without losing access to your local ones. That’s because Smart DNS doesn’t change your IP address while bypassing regional blocks. Moreover, since your data doesn’t get encrypted in the process, you’ll be operating at full streaming speed. A VPN lowers your connection speed which can be a bit daunting if your binge-watching a show. Take a look at what more benefits you can get from using Smart DNS.
- Supported Devices: You can literally configure DNS on all devices. Doesn’t matter what operating system it is, if it connects to the internet, it’s compatible with Smart DNS.
- Blazing Fast Speed: You’ll be able to stream your favorite HBO shows without worrying about buffering issues. Stream at full speed when you use Smart DNS.
- Simple Configuration: Every Smart DNS service offers guides on their website to aid you through the configuration process. No matter what device you’re using, setup guides are available.
- Bypass Regional Restrictions: There are services that can unlock more than 200 channels with ease. I specifically recommend none other than the Danish Unlocator.
- Payment: Smart DNS services are relatively cheaper than VPN subscriptions. However, some VPNs offer both services, so you’ll be getting what you paid for and more.
Finding the best Smart DNS service can be pretty daunting for someone who’s new to this. But when you follow a guide such as this, you’re guaranteed to leave satisfied. One of the top Smart DNS clients would be Unlocator. It’s capable of unblocking over 230 channels including HBO Now and Go. In addition, you get to take the provider for a test drive as they offer a 7-day free trial. There’s no need for a credit card or any additional software to use Unlocator.
What’s on HBO – Stream on PS4
Here’s a couple of titles you can stream on your PlayStation 4 using HBO Go and HBO Now apps:
- Big Little Lies
- Silicon Valley
- Big Love
- Six Feet Under
- Game of Thrones
- The Sopranos
- True Blood
- True Detective
- The Pacific
- The Leftovers
- Band of Brothers
- The Newsroom
- Boardwalk Empire
- Room 104
How to Watch HBO Now or HBO Go on PS4 Overseas – Conclusion
PlayStation has been in the gaming industry for quite some time now. However, it’s streaming content is also considered as a force to be reckoned with. You can find dozens of channels on the gaming console that aren’t available on others. As for watching the channels outside their area of coverage, you now know how. Go ahead, get a VPN as soon as possible, I don’t have to remind you that “Winter is Here”.