is Google’s new media-streaming set-top-box. It cost around 99$ in USA and comes with Netflix, Hulu, UVideo, Pandora, and Crackle preinstalled. If you want to unblock American channels on Nexus Player outside US
, you have to use Smart DNS or VPN. Both method’s are explained with info and instruction for setup on Nexus Player in this tutorial.
How to Unblock American Channels on Nexus Player
Unblock/Access American channels and apps on Nexus Player outside US – Smart DNS Proxy
You won’t gain access to American apps and channels on Nexus Player if you connect it to the Internet outside USA (UK, Germany, France, Spain, Australia, Italy, Mexico, Canada). That’s because the channels determine your location based on your IP address. Smart DNS tricks Nexus Player to think you’re actually located in USA. The same method can be used on other streaming devices. Let’s look at Smart DNS features.
- No Internet speed slowing down. You need a fast and reliable Internet speed to stream Netflix, Hulu, and other video services. That’s why it’s important that your Internet speed does not get affected.
- Multi-national channel support. You can watch UK channels and US channels online on your Nexus Player using the same Smart DNS setup.
- Compatibility. Nexus Player, like all other streaming devices, can be set up with Smart DNS.
- DNS Hijacking and Transparent Proxies can stop Smart DNS from working properly. Some ISPs do use such methods.
Verify that the Smart DNS Proxy service you choose offers DNS codes that unblock native US apps on Nexus Player. Unlocator, for example, unblocks Netflix, Crackle, Hulu, Pandora and around 155 other Internet streaming websites. After checking their videos and installation guides, you can sign up for a free one-week trial.
Unlock American channels and Apps on Nexus Player outside US – The VPN Way
Another way to unblock all American channels on your Nexus Player is VPN. VPN bypasses geographic restrictions by routing all your traffic through a VPN server. That way you can change your local IP address and acquire an US IP address. Your Nexus Player will now appear to be connected to the Internet from inside US. Features of VPN include.
- Full data encryption. Protect your privacy online.
- IP address cloaking. Change and hide your IP address. Websites cannot track your online anymore.
- One US VPN server. All US channels unblocked. When you choose an American VPN server, you unlock Netflix, CBS All Access, Amazon Instant Video, WWE Network, Hulu, and all other American streaming services.
- DNS Hijacking and Transparent Proxies are ineffective against VPN.
- Nexus Player does not have a VPN client. This means you need a VPN compatible router. Set up VPN on it. Connect Nexus Player to it. Alternatively, simply use Smart DNS instead.
Trustworthy VPN providers, like ExpressVPN, do not keep logs of your online activity. Make sure the VPN provider you choose guarantees no logging.
Unblock American Channels on Nexus Player outside US – Wrap Up
Nexus Player’s release date is November 2014 in US. It’ll probably be released soon after in UK and other markets. Since Nexus Player is relatively a new streaming device on the market, there are limited native apps to choose from. This might change later on.
- Travel Channel
- Food Network
- Google Play Movies & TV
In conclusion, that’s what you need to know about accessing American channels and apps on Nexus Player. The absence of VPN client on Nexus Player grants Smart DNS the advantage over VPN when it comes to unblocking US channels on Nexus Player.