VPN and DNS are both great solutions to bypass location restrictions and protect your privacy. Both can be used to hide and change
your location. I was in a situation where I wanted to stream my favourite TV show “My Name Is Earl, if it matters :)” on Netflix
only to find out that it does not show in my current Netflix
library, so I had to change my location to be able to do so. I had two choices VPN vs Smart DNS proxies.
Please check my About page
to know why my opinion might matter.
VPN vs Smart DNS Proxy to Bypass Location Restrictions
VPN vs Smart DNS Proxy, what to choose.
Both solutions can be setup in seconds, and both solutions do have certain advantages. It is up to you to choose which one suits you best. I will describe what differences I found when I did compare VPN vs Smart DNS proxies, what services I used and leave you to make a decision. Please see the VPN vs DNS comparison below.
VPN to bypass location restrictions.
- Easy to set up, just signup get your username and password and follow the instructions
- All your traffic is encrypted and masked, virtually speaking no one can eavesdrop on you.
- You will notice that your Internet is slower if you do use a low-quality VPN service, I am using Express VPN and it is working great for me though.
- VPN does provide Apps for IOS, Android, MAC and PC, which makes it really easy to setup and use.
- If you are living in Denmark, and you use a VPN server in the USA, all USA sites are unblocked. However, your local sites will not work anymore.
- There are more than 300 servers. Globally distributed anywhere.
- Your Smart TV and a few other devices will not work with VPN unless you have a router that supports VPN.
- The safest solution to protect you from MITM Attacks and Hijacking of your DNS Traffic.
Below, you’ll find a table that lists the top VPN providers.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
Smart DNS proxies to bypass location restrictions.
- All your devices will work, all you have to do is either change the DNS IPs on your devices or on your router.
- Easy to set up, just signup, authorize your IP and change the IPs. See Video and Picture guides for setup here.
- Your Internet speed will not be affected, as only relevant traffic is piped through the Smart DNS proxy service provider.
- Not all sites work. Unlocator the Smart DNS proxy service I use, does support Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Amazon Instant Video and many more.
- Your local sites will keep working.
- You can change regions without doing any configuration changes of your devices, watch BBC Iplayer as if you are in the UK, while watching Netflix Brazil.
- If you are unlucky enough to have an ISP which does actively apply DNS Hijacking or Transparent proxies, Smart DNS proxies will most likely not work for you.
Smart DNS Supported Devices
- iPhone Ipad
- Smart TVs
- Blue Ray Players
- Playstation 3 4
- Xbox One 360
- PS Vita
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV
- Sky+ boxes
- NowTV boxes
VPN vs Smart DNS: Bypass Location Errors
Having said that, it is up to you to choose either VPN Service, Unlocator Smart DNS Proxy or similar services. I did post these two services because they actually do work for me. If you have other service you have used successfully or do have any other comments. Please post below.