How to enable English subtitles on Netflix? For over two years now, Netflix has become available in almost every country in the world. The movies and TV shows you get to watch on Netflix solely depend on the region you currently reside in. The same applies to subtitles. You won’t see any English subtitles in case you are currently spending time in a non-English speaking region. Luckily for American and British expats living abroad, there’s a workaround they can use to get English subtitles on Netflix anywhere around the globe.
Why Can’t I Get English Subtitles on Netflix?
Whenever you log into your Netflix account, the Netflix app detects your IP address. The content you get to stream is determined by the region of your current IP. That means if you’re browsing the web using an Italian IP address, for example, you will be granted access to the Italian Netflix library. This process also dictates the nationality of subtitles.
How to Get English Subtitles on Netflix Abroad?
In order to get English subtitles on Netflix, you have to change your IP address to an American IP. That way, you will switch your Netflix region to the USA and subsequently see English or American captions. Keep in mind that by doing so, you will also be able to watch content on Netflix you previously didn’t have access to.
By using a virtual private network, commonly known as VPN, you will be able to cloak your real IP address and appear to be surfing the web using an American IP instead. This, in turn, enables you to unblock geo-restricted American websites and apps including American Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video, Hulu, HBO GO, and many others.
Follow these steps to get English subtitles on Netflix from anywhere around the world:
- First, sign up with a VPN provider.
- Then, download and install the VPN application to your PC, Mac, Android, iOS device.
- Launch the VPN application and sign in using your VPN account.
- Now, connect to an American VPN server.
- Finally, go to the Netflix website or launch the Netflix application.
- Watch American Netflix outside the USA with English subtitles.
ExpressVPN also provide their users with Smart DNS proxies that work on PS3, PS4, Xbox, FireTV, Roku, Smart TV, and routers. These devices do not have VPN clients. Therefore, you cannot install VPN directly on them. A Smart DNS proxy enables you to fix that issue.
How to Enable or Disable Subtitles on Netflix?
You can choose to enable or disable subtitles on Netflix altogether. Although the process slightly varies from device to device, the steps are largely the same.
- First, launch the Netflix app.
- Next, select a TV show or movie.
- While your TV show or movie is playing, press the Down arrow on your remote or controller.
- Then, highlight the Dialog icon and confirm whether you wish to enable or disable subtitles.
- Finally, select your preferred audio or subtitle options.
How to Change Subtitle Appearance on Netflix?
You can also control the size, type, and shadowing of your Netflix subtitles. To do so, you need to log into your Netflix account from your PC or Mac.
- Open a web browser on your computer and log into your Netflix account.
- Click on your Netflix account’s avatar in the top-left corner.
- Now select ‘Account’.
- From here, scroll down to ‘My Profile’ and click on ‘Subtitles Appearance’.
- You will now be able to change the subtitles’ font type, size, and shadowing among others.
- Once you’re done, click on ‘Save’.
Make sure you restart your Netflix app for the changes to take effect.
Getting English Subtitles on Netflix – Final Advice
Should you wish to go back to your local Netflix region, all you need to do is turn off your VPN connection. If you’re using VPN to get American or English subtitles on Netflix, make sure that the VPN service provider you have subscribed to actually supports unblock American Netflix overseas.