Is your Sky Go VPN not working? Sky Go, along with Now TV, has become the United Kingdom’s best streaming service. Not only does it allow you to watch some of the best on-demand content British drama has to offer. Sky Go also allows subscribers to watch all their favorite UK channels on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Roku, PS4, and Xbox One. There is one small catch though. Sky Go only works in the United Kingdom. That means that British citizens and expats traveling abroad on holiday won’t be able to watch Sky Go unless they use a VPN. Recently, Sky Go has begun blocking these VPN service provider though. As a result, many VPNs no long worker with Sky GO. In the guide below, you can find more info on how to fix your Sky Go VPN and watch UK TV overseas again.
Sky Go VPN Not Working
Due to geo-restrictions, you won’t’ be able to watch live or on-demand content on Sky Go while living in USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland or anywhere else outside the United Kingdom. That’s why people have turned to proxies and VPNs to spoof their online location and unblock Sky overseas.
- “Sky go is only available to users connecting from within the UK or Republic of Ireland. You appear to be outside of these territories.”
- Sky ID Error 288
- “Failed to set location settings”
- “Rights restrictions mean that this programme is not currently available”
- “Media streaming: unable to connect to stream”
- “Video unavailable”
- “This show is currently unavailable. Please try again later”
- “Unknown error: please restart the app”
How Does Sky Go Know I Am Using VPN?
Similar to other streaming services, including BBC, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video, Sky started blacklisting VPN IP address. Therefore, you might still receive the error messages listed above when you’re connected to a UK VPN server. That means that your VPN is actually working and that you appear to browse the web from the UK. It’s just that your VPN server’s IP address will not work with Sky or Now TV for that matter. Sometimes connecting to a different VPN server in the UK helps solve the issue. If it doesn’t, it’s time to look for a new VPN service provider. Let’s take a look at the best VPN services that actually still work with Sky Go.
Best VPN to Fix Sky GO VPN Block
To unblock channels such as Sky or Now TV, you need a quality VPN provider. On the Internet, there are many free VPNs but after signing up with such, you’ll only find out that they do not live up to even half of what they promised.
After conducting various tests, I found out that ExpressVPN is the best VPN service you can use to bypass regional restrictions. This includes being able to get Sky Go outside the UK. Here are some key VPN features.
- Unblocking all UK channels overseas. Sky GO, BT Sport, BBC, my5, Channel 4, and ITV.
- Providing easy-to-use software for devices running on Android, Linux, Windows, Mac, and iOS.
- Running up to 3 concurrent VPN connections.
- Around the clock support to help solve any of your problems.
- A 30-day money-back guarantee.
As you can see, ExpressVPN has the best features compared to most of the other VPN providers you can find. Here is a list of other providers I compared it with.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
The Smart DNS Proxy Alternative for Sky Go
If the four VPN service providers are still not to your liking, then perhaps a Smart DNS provider will do. A Smart DNS Proxy also unblocks geo-restricted sites like Sky Go even for users outside the UK. Here’s what you should know.
- Smart DNS is compatible with any streaming device. You can watch Sky GO on iPhone, Mac, Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, PS3/PS4, and Xbox.
- A Smart DNS does not change your IP address.
- A Smart DNS does not encrypt your Internet traffic.
- If your ISP uses transparent proxies or DNS hijacking, then Smart DNS will probably not work well for you.
- Smart DNS also doesn’t guarantee any anonymity since your IP address is still visible.
If the mentioned features sound appealing to you, I suggest you try Unlocator as your Smart DNS provider. They offer a free 7-day trial period and support unblocking Sky Go, Now TV, Channel 5, BBC, ITV, among other UK channels.
Sky Go VPN Not Working – Extra Tips
You can also try these easy-to-implement workarounds if Sky is not working for you at the moment.
- In case you’re using VPN, try connecting to a different UK VPN server. Sometimes several VPN IP addresses get blocked by Sky.
- If you’re trying to watch Sky Go on a PC or Mac, switching the web browser you’re using can help resolve the issue as well. Try using Chrome, FireFox, Edge, or Safari.
- Contact your VPN’s support team and see if they can help you bypass the Sky Go VPN ban.
- If all else fails, the only alternative would be signing up with a VPN service that works with Sky Go or Now TV.
Sky Go VPN Not Working – Best Workaround
Spending your holiday in some sunny location abroad can be a refreshing experience. But every now and again, you’d want to watch some UK TV on your streaming device. Getting a VPN that actually still works with Sky Go is important whenever you travel abroad. Have you tried any of the tips we have suggested above to get Sky Go working again overseas?