How can I unblock Wikipedia at school, college, or in countries where it is banned? Wikipedia is the world’s largest online encyclopedia. Readers can find useful information about all sorts of historical events, celebrities, sports events, and geography. Unfortunately, Wikipedia is partially or completely blocked in some regions around the world. In this tutorial, I will show you how you can use VPN to bypass Internet censorship. Thus, access Wikipedia freely in China, Iran, Pakistan, Russia, or anywhere else around the world.
List of Countries Which Banned Wikipedia
The countries listed below have either completely or partially blocked access to Wikipedia. In some cases, only certain pages are banned. In case you know of any country where access to Wikipedia is blocked, but isn’t included in the list, please let me know by dropping a comment below.
- Saudi Arabia
- United Kingdom
Why Can’t I Access Wikipedia?
Some of the countries mentioned above have placed restrictions on a large number of websites from around the web as a form of Internet censorship. In other cases, governments have only blocked certain pages on Wikipedia that the have deemed either to sensitive, inappropriate, or offensive.
How to Unblock Wikipedia Using VPN?
A virtual private network allows you to redirect all of your traffic via a secure, private server. Thus, your ISP can no longer see which websites you are visiting. This process not only allows you to bypass government censorship, but also enables you to access streaming channels and websites that would normally not be available in your region. In order to use VPN to unblock Wikipedia or any other banned website, follow these steps.
- The first thing you need to do is sign up with a VPN provider.
- After you have created your VPN account, download the VPN application to your PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
- Then, launch the application and sign in. From within the app, connect to a VPN server.
- Finally, head over to Wikipedia and freely browse any of the pages you want.
Some government have even banned VPN providers in certain regions. That is why you need to carefully choose which VPN you can use to overcome Internet censorship. Below, you can find a list of best VPNs to unblock Wikipedia anywhere in the world.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
Other Popular Sites that are Banned around the World
- Google Play Store
Wikipedia Fun Facts
- George W. Bush’s Wikipedia page has recorded the most edits in history.
- Wikipedia is one of the most popular websites in the world, boosting more than 500 million visitors each month.
- Wikipedia is the world’s largest encyclopedia.
- “Wiki” is Hawaiian for quick.
The Five Pillars of Wikepdia
- Wikipedia is an encyclopedia.
- Wikipedia is written from a neutral point of view.
- Editors should treat each other with respect and civility.
- Wikipedia is free content that anyone can use, edit, and distribute.
- Wikipedia has no firm rules.
Access Wikipedia Anywhere in the World
As people living in China, Russia, or Iran can certainly attest, government censorship is on the rise. However, citizens in UK, Sweden, Canada, and even USA are also starting to experience of being banned from accessing certain websites. This is why VPN has become so crucial for a free, unrestricted Internet.