The SyFy channels is an American streaming service that focuses on science fiction and fantasy TV shows. Znation, Van Helsing, Ghost Wars, BattleStar Galactica, and Superstition and are all popular TV series available on SyFy. American expats who’re living abroad cannot watch SyFy due to geo-restricitons. In order to unblock US channels overseas, you need to hide your online location. There are two ways you can do so. Either use VPN or Smart DNS proxies.
How to Watch SyFy outside USA with VPN
“The media cannot be played.” If you have come across that error while trying to watch any TV show episode on SyFy, chances are that you’re currently outside the USA. The SyFy channel, just like any other VOD service, checks your location by looking at your IP address. In case you don’t have an American IP address, you won’t be able to stream any content that is exclusively available in the United States. So, how can you get a US IP address while living in Canada, UK, Australia or elsewhere overseas? The answer is VPN. Here’s how you can change your IP address and appear to be browsing the web from the US.
- First of all, you have to sign up with a VPN provider that has VPN servers in the USA.
- Once that is done, download and install the VPN application on your PC, Mac, Android, or iOS device.
- Next, launch the VPN app and connect to an American VPN server.
- Your real IP address is now hidden and you can browse the web as if your were in the United States.
In terms of best VPN services you can use to spoof your online location and encrypt all of your Internet traffic, ExpressVPN is right there at the top. They even have a 30-day refund policy. Here are our favorite VPN service providers as of 2017.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
How to Unblock SyFy in UK, Canada with Smart DNS Proxies
You can also use Smart DNS proxy services to unblock SyFy outside USA. In this case, you do not get a new IP address. Only those URLs which reveal your location to the streaming channel you are watching are re-routed. Setting up Smart DNS on your streaming device involves configuring its network settings. If that seems to much of a fuss to you, use VPN instead Smart DNS.
- You can either configure Smart DNS on your router or directly on your streaming device.
- Enabling Smart DNS mainly involves changing your device’s primary and secondary DNS server addresses.
- Although you will gain access to regionally blocked content, Smart DNS does not hide, alter, or change your IP address.
- Smart DNS is compatible with Xbox, Smart TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, iOS, Android, PC, Chromecast, and Mac.
You can use Unlocator to unblock over 220 geo-restricted channels from around the world. Their videos, screenshots, and DNS setup guides are easy to follow as well. You can sign up for a free 7-day trial without the need for a credit card.
List of Compatible SyFy Apps
The SyFy channels is available on the following devices:
- Apple TV
- Xbox One
- Amazon Fire TV
- PC and Mac
Best SyFy TV Series
- Van Helsing
- Ghost Wars
- BattleStar Galactica
How to Watch SyFy Anywhere in the World
Keep in mind that using VPN or Smart DNS proxies only helps you bypass geographic restrictions. You still need a valid account to the streaming channels you wish to unblock. Have you used any of the methods suggested above to unblock SyFy outside USA? Share your experience below.