VPN is best for Australia? Australians, probably more than other nation, have proper knowledge of what VPN is, how it works, and why it is so important. For many years, Aussies have turned to VPNs to unblock streaming channels that are geo-blocked in Australia. Such streaming services include American Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO GO, CW TV, Sky Go, BBC iPlayer and ITV. With Australian ISPs recently starting to block torrent sites, the need for VPN in Australia is even higher now.
Even Australian expats living in New Zealand, USA, UK, Canada, or elsewhere overseas have a great need for VPN. A virtual private network can be used to get an Australian IP address abroad. This, in turn, enables Aussies to watch Australian channels like TenPlay, 9Now, Channel 7, and SBS from anywhere in the world. I will shed light on top recommended VPN services you should turn to while Down Under.
Best VPN for Australia 2019
Best VPN for Australia – Content Index
What is a Virtual Private Network
You mention the fact you cannot access a certain website to your friends. Their instant answer is ‘Just use VPN’. A lot of us have been in that situation. Not to sound embarrassed you simply nod your head, wondering what VPN is and how it actually works.
Well, VPN was originally intended as a means to protect online privacy and adding additional security while surfing the Internet. All your Internet traffic is encrypted once you connect to a VPN server. The fact you can use a virtual private network to access sites your ISP banned is an additional bonus.
VPN’s feature’s don’t just end there. Using VPN also allows you to surf the web anonymously. You can even unblock geo-restricted streaming channels like US Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, or even Sky Go.
With all that in mind, it’s no surprise that so many people are turning to the VPN. But, with so many VPN providers out there, which one should you choose?
Free VPN You Say?
There actually are VPN services that don’t charge you a dime out there. However, most of these ‘free’ VPN services come at a hidden price.
- For one, they can potentially sell your private data to third parties.
- Given they are advertised as free, their VPN servers will be constantly overloaded. Your browsing, streaming, and downloading speeds will all suffer.
- They don’t provide proper 24/7 support; a very essential feature you truly don’t appreciate until you face some technical issues.
- They might not properly encrypt your traffic. Your ISP and others will still be able to track your browsing activity.
- Free VPNs aren’t the best choice if you’re looking for a way to get around geo-restrictions. They won’t be able to unblock American Netflix, Amazon Prime, or similar geo-blocked channels.
Features of a Top Australian VPN
With free VPNs out of the way, it’s time to look at proper VPN providers. VPN server maintenance, support, and applications all cost money. That’s why all reliable VPN services charge a fee of around 6$ to 10$ a month. As with everything else, the more expensive your VPN provider usually is, the more benefits you will get. Here are a number of features top VPN providers must offer.
- Global VPN Servers: With VPN servers all around the world, you can get access to any geo-blocked channel you want.
- Speed: The more VPN servers you’re VPN provider has, the less load there will be on any particular server. Thus, your Internet speed will not drop.
- VPN Apps: Applications for PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Linux, and Android are a must if you want to set up your VPN connection in a couple of minutes.
- 24/7 Support: If you’re paying for your VPN service, you might just as well get around-the-clock support. Whether you need help troubleshooting, setting up your VPN connection, or unblocking a certain website.
- No Logs Policy: Some VPN services keep logs of which site you visit while being connected to their VPN server. Make sure your VPN provider keeps zero logs.
- VPN Protocols: There are four main VPN protocols: OpenVPN, L2TP, IPSec, and PPTP. Proper VPN providers support all of them.
- Refund Policy: You might find that the VPN service you signed up with doesn’t quite meet your needs. In that case, you would want to get your money back. Proper VPN service offers a clear 30-day money-back guaranteed refund policy.
Best VPN for Australia
Finding a proper VPN for Australia can be pretty daunting at times. However, I made your job so much easier by reviewing the top ones to use in Australia. Here they are:
Last Updated Today
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
ExpressVPN provides all the features listed above. That’s why they top our list of the best VPN for Australia in 2019. I have listed other VPN services we have reviewed below. There is no doubt that ExpressVPN are a household name in the VPN industry. There VPN servers are spread all over the globe. You get to connect to VPN servers in Germany, France, the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and obviously Australia. You can also use ExpressVPN to access regionally blocked streaming services like HBO GO, Netflix, and BBC iPlayer. ExpressVPN abides by a strict ‘No-logs policy’. There live chat support is available at any time you might need it as well.
For those of you who have trust issues with VPN service providers, you can try out Expressvpn for a whole month. If you don’t like the product, simply ask them for a refund and you will get all of your money back.
There are no bandwidth limitations either. So, you can stream and download all of your favorite content without having to worry about running out of a certain quota.
All in all, ExpressVPN have proven to be one of the best VPN service providers I have tested. In addition to secure VPN clients for almost any device you can think of, you also get to use Smart DNS proxies as part of your subscription.
- A 30-day refund policy.
- VPN clients for Amazon Fire Stick, iOS, Android, PC, and Mac.
- Excellent customer support
- VPN locations covering the entire world.
- No logging policy
- Smart DNS proxy feature.
- More expensive than other VPN services.
More and more Australians are turning to BulletVPN. The new VPN service provider has become quite popular Down Under and for good reasons too. We were able to watch various Australian channels including Channel 9, Channel 10, and Channel 7 using BulletVPN’s Aussie VPN servers. Their installation and setup guides are very easy to follow. The Internet speed drops we have experienced were minor regardless of which VPN servers we were connected to. Maybe they could add a wider variety of VPN locations to their VPN app.
- One-month refund policy
- Windows, Mac, Android, Fire Stick, and iOS all have dedicated application.
- Around the clock support.
- Zero network traffic logging.
- Not many VPN locations to choose from.
NordVPN have become extremely well-known after striking a partnership with English football team Liverpool. They are definitely one of the most reliable VPN services you can subscribe to. Their support crew is very professional and deals with any issues you might come across efficiently. As is the case with our proper VPNs, you can also ask for a refund within 30 days of your initial subscription date.
- Well designed VPN application
- Extensive VPN network.
- Double VPN protection.
IPVanish would have ranked higher on our list of top VPNs for Aussies if it wasn’t for the fact they are based in the USA. That makes us a little cautious because of America’s strict data retention laws. Still, IPVanish does claim they follow a no-logging policy which means there are zero logs kept of what you do when you are connected to their VPN servers.
However, they aren’t as reliable as other VPNs when we tried using their VPN servers to unblock VOD services like HBO GO, BBC iPlayer or American Netflix.
On the plus side, you do get to use one IPVanish account on 10 different devices at the same time. There live chat support can be a tad slow at times though.
Finally, you don’t have much time to claim a refund as IPVanish only have a 7-day money-back guarantee.
- Very fast VPN server speeds.
- Downloading torrents is allowed.
- 10 concurrent VPN connections.
- 7-day refund period.
- Doesn’t unblock major streaming channels.
Best VPN for Australia in 2019
After being considered a luxury, VPN is slowly becoming a necessity for everyday Internet users in Australia. Whether you intend to secure your online privacy, access banned sites, or unblock geo-blocked channels, VPN is a must. Hopefully, this best VPN review guide has given you a better idea of what to avoid and what to look out for when signing up with a VPN provider. Have been using a VPN while in Australia? Did it change the way you browse the Internet? You can always share your experience by simply leaving a comment below.
Best VPN for Australia
Description: Given their long history with online censorship and bypassing geo-restrictions, Aussies sure know how to choose a VPN. Australians, therefore, have been using ExpressVPN to access an unrestricted open Internet.
Unblock Geo-restricted Content