How to get Netflix US in your region? Netflix is definitely no longer just an option, it’s more of a necessity. The channel is available globally, but its entire library isn’t.
Each country has its own set of titles, and so far, the US one is well-known to be the richest. Now, the question is: Can you get US Netflix in your country? The answer is yes. Find out how you can do so in this comprehensive guide.
Unblock Netflix US – Quick Guide
Time needed: 4 minutes.
Let’s cut right to the chase. Here’s how you can stream Netflix USA anywhere in the world:
- Subscribe to a VPN that can unblock Netflix US.
Piece of advice, choose ExpressVPN. It’s one of the top providers for Netflix.
- Download then install the app on your device.
You can get the app on Android, iOS, PC, Mac, and Fire Stick.
- Launch the app and sign in with your account.
Once you’re in, head over to the server list.
- Connect to an American server.
Connecting to a US server grants you an American IP address.
- Launch Netflix’s website or application.
A step-by-step guide on how to watch Netflix on any device is provided below.
- Sign in with your Netflix account.
If you don’t have an account, follow the walkthrough below and learn how to create one.
- Enjoy Netflix US wherever you are.
Stream top American content on Netflix anywhere.
Netflix US Anywhere – The Full Guide
We have created the following in-depth review to give you a detailed idea of what you’re going through. It includes all the issues Netflix presents, what you have to do, and how to get it on any device. Scroll a bit further and find out.
To unblock Netflix US, this is what you need:
- A credible VPN service.
- Netflix subscription.
- A Netflix-compatible device.
Different Country, Different Catalog
Each country gets a different version of Netflix, and you can blame the distributors, licensing agreements, and copyright issues for that.
In other words, Netflix’s catalog differs between countries because of the media houses that own rights to the movies and TV shows.
Here’s how it works. If there was high demand for that particular TV show from the US and not much from let’s say Australia, Canada, or Germany, Netflix ends up buying the license for the US alone.
The streaming service has to buy the distribution rights for the said TV show or movie for each country separately, and this is how each country ended up with its own version of Netflix.
American Netflix Simply is the Best
Netflix is a very popular streaming service that has spread across a hundred countries in the world, but unless you’re in the United States of America you’re missing out on some ridiculously good content.
Depending on what part of the world you are in, most of the content offered by Netflix is restricted. What you get to see on Netflix UK is completely different from what is showing on Netflix USA.
Despite focusing on creating original content, which may reduce the number of titles provided, Netflix still has more than 5,087 titles, with 63% not available anywhere.
In the European region, Netflix subscribers have fewer titles to choose from than most countries in the Americas, Africa, and the Middle East. We’re not including the UK as it’s rivaling Netflix US nowadays. Still inferior, but it’s on its way.
For example, the movie “Under Siege” is available in the US Netflix library, whereas, it’s not found in the UK library. The mechanism works vice-versa as the UK also has titles that the USA lacks.
Now, you can still get the USA version of Netflix with a virtual private network (VPN). All you have to do is follow the steps provided above and you’ll be watching Netflix US in no time.
Global Access, yet Highly Restrictive
Choosing the right library for a specific country might be connected to Netflix’s right agreements. However, the question is: How can Netflix determine your physical location?
The answer is simple: Geo-blocking. This is a mechanism used by almost every streaming service out there, where they examine your IP address to pinpoint your whereabouts.
Now, when it comes to Netflix, things get a bit different as you’ll be facing two types of geo-blocking instances. The first one goes for those living in a country where Netflix itself is not available.
Yeah, we know that Netflix is global, but there are select countries that don’t have the privilege, mainly regions that oppose American merchandise such as Mainland China, Crimea, North Korea, or Syria.
Even if you already have the application and an account, once you visit the country, your subscription will cease to operate. You won’t even be able to sign in. This is what you get instead:
“Pardon the interruption. Your account can’t be used in this location. Error Code: 07111-1331.”
The final one is when the title is not available in your region. This is a bit rare as the channel only presents you with what you can access. But if you Google search the title and for some reason happen to see it, rest assured that streaming it is not possible.
You’ll definitely know as the following error message appears if you stream a title that is not valid in your country:
“This title is not available in your current region. Please select a different title.”
Geo-blocking has been a problem for quite some time now, but with a VPN, you can circumvent the geo-restrictions in place and watch US Netflix wherever you are.
Why is MY VPN Blocked? Netflix vs. VPNs
A VPN might give you the US IP address you need to unblock American Netflix. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you are getting the American library.
Netflix is one of the first streaming services that waged war against VPNs. They can detect VPN traffic and block a user’s access on the spot.
A lot of VPN fell victim to this defense mechanism and haven’t recovered since. In fact, we tested a lot of huge names in the industry and the results were the same – the proxy error below:
“Pardon the interruption. You seem to be using an unblocked or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again. Error Code: S7111-5059.”
VPNs that are not credible enough won’t be able to help you. In fact, a VPN service only has so many IP addresses available, which means that other users may have used the IP address assigned to you.
If Netflix has blacklisted this IP address, it can determine that you’re using a Virtual Private Network. As a result, it blocks your access and presents you with the error above.
The Best VPN for Netflix US
As seen above, it doesn’t matter how badly you want to get Netflix USA abroad, you mustn’t settle for just any VPN service provider because some might not just work the way you want them to.
There’s a criterion you must follow to base your VPN selection on. You must take offers, trials, policies, and features into consideration before making a purchase, especially when you’re aiming to unblock Netflix USA.
Have a look at some of the qualities that a VPN service must have to qualify as suitable for accessing Netflix USA overseas.
- The ability to unblock Netflix: That’s kind of why you’re buying a VPN in the first place, and if lacks that ability then what’s the point? There are some VPNs with huge reputations in the industry that haven’t been able to bypass the Netflix block back in the day. So you better pay attention to that.
- Fast speed: A good VPN must provide fast speeds and not interfere with Internet speed. This will allow you to stream 4K and HDR content on Netflix when connected to the VPN server.
- Tough encryptions: Having strong encryption protocols is necessary for the users’ safety when bypassing restrictions.
- Multiple servers: A VPN with a wide range of servers ensures that no user is left out due to high amounts of traffic. ExpressVPN, for example, allows users to unblock American, Canadian, and UK Netflix from all around the world.
- No bandwidth caps: You’re streaming movies and TV series, so you will obviously need a VPN that does not put a limit on the amount of bandwidth you use.
- No logging policy: A reliable and trustworthy VPN must not keep logs of its users’ online traffic and activities.
- User-friendly apps: Premium VPN service providers offer their customers user-friendly apps on iOS and Andriod devices, Firestick, Mac, and PC.
So far, only a couple of VPNs can unblock Netflix. We’ve checked all the specifications above, tested their speed, and their ability to unlock the channel.
Some were consistent, while others struggled as some servers were blocked. To sum it up, here are the top VPN providers to use if you want to watch Netflix US overseas.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- 72% discount on annual plan
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
How to Create a Netflix Account
Before we proceed, you must know that you don’t need a VPN to create a Netflix account. Moreover, your account works with any version of Netflix later on.
So, if you don’t have a Netflix subscription, here’s what you need to do:
- First, head over to Netflix’s official website.
- In the middle of the screen, enter your Email address, and click on Get Started.
- Submit a password and hit Next.
- On the next page, just click on Next.
- Choose your subscription plan and select Next one more time.
- Pick your preferred Payment Method, enter the necessary info, and click on Start Membership.
- You now have a Netflix subscription.
How to Get Netflix US on Any Device Outside the USA?
In case you have already subscribed to Netflix, there’s no need to sign up for a new Netflix account. Your original Netflix subscription will suffice. Netflix doesn’t determine what region you’re in based on your account but rather on your current location.
Here’s how you can watch American Netflix on Windows PC or Mac OS.
- Get a VPN provider that works with American Netflix outside the US.
- Download and then install the VPN app on your Mac or PC.
- Open the application.
- Sign in using your VPN account.
- Now, connect to a server in the US.
- Open your preferred browser and head over to Netflix’s website.
- Sign in with your Netflix account and binge away.
Regardless of whether you’re using an Android Smartphone, Tablet, Android TV, Android Box, or Nvidia Shield TV, the process of getting American Netflix on Android-based devices doesn’t differ much.
- First of all, sign up with a VPN service provider that allows users to get American Netflix and offers VPN apps for Android.
- Download the VPN app from the Google Play Store.
- Sign into the VPN app using your VPN account.
- Finally, connect to an American VPN server.
- Enjoy American Netflix abroad.
Follow these instructions to get American Netflix on iPhone or iPad.
- As is the case with PC or Mac, you need to make sure that the VPN you are using actually still works with Netflix.
- Once you have chosen and signed up with a VPN provider, head over to the Apple Store.
- Download their VPN app.
- Then launch the app, sign into it, and connect to a US server.
- Launch Netflix’s app, sign in, and you’re all set.
Neither the PS5, PS4, PS4 Pro, or PS3 are VPN compatible. In order to watch American Netflix on your PlayStation, follow these steps:
- You can setup VPN on a VPN-compatible router. Once you connect your PlayStation to that router, Netflix will think it is located in the USA.
- Alternatively, you can subscribe to a VPN service provider that has a Smart DNS proxy feature. Smart DNS can be directly set up on your PS4 or PS3. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings ->Network.
- Choose ‘Set up Internet connection’.
- Choose Custom
- Select Wi-Fi or LAN depending on how you connect to the Internet
- Choose Automatic for IP-address
- Choose do not specify for DHCP Host Name
- Then select ‘Manual’ for DNS settings.
- Type in the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS ExpressVPN provided you with.
- Click Next to test the connection.
- Finally, restart your PS4.
- Now launch the Netflix app and watch Netflix USA on your PS4.
Regardless of whether you own an Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One S, or Xbox One X, none of these gaming consoles natively support VPN. In order to get American Netflix on Xbox outside the USA, you can resort to these workarounds.
- You can setup VPN on a VPN-compatible router. Once you connect your Xbox to that router, Netflix will think it is located in the USA.
- Alternatively, you can subscribe to a VPN that offers a Smart DNS option. Smart DNS can be directly set up on your Xbox One. Here’s how:
- Launch the Xbox and go to the Dashboard.
- Then press the options button on your controller.
- Go to Network -> Advanced Settings -> DNS settings.
- Select Manual
- Now, type in the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS ExpressVPN provided for you.
- Press B to save.
- Restart your Xbox One.
- Activate the Netflix app on your Xbox One and enjoy the American version of the most popular streaming service.
Neither the Roku streaming stick nor Roku boxes allow users to configure their network settings. Therefore, watching American Netflix on Roku isn’t as easy as it would be on other platforms. Do you want to set up a VPN on your Roku? Then just follow these instructions.
Once the VPN is in place, connect to a US server, launch the Netflix application, sign in with your account, and you’re good to go.
Chromecast is probably one of the hardest devices to get American Netflix on. You can neither install VPN directly on it nor configure its DNS server addresses. For more info on how to enable VPN on Chromecast, check this guide.
Now that you’ve installed your VPN and established a US VPN connection, launch the Netflix application. Once in, you’ll find that the titles are different. Enjoy American Netflix anywhere.
Second generation Amazon Fire TVs and FireStick and newer models natively support VPN. That means you can directly install a VPN app from the Amazon Store on your streaming device.
- First things first, you have to register your ExpressVPN account.
- Next, launch your Amazon Fire TV Stick.
- Click on the Search function.
- Type in the name of your VPN provider.
- Now, click on ‘Get’ -> ‘Download’ -> ‘Install’.
- Once the app installation process is complete, click on ‘Open’ to start the VPN client.
- Sign in using your account.
- Connect to the VPN server in the US.
- Tap the Home button on your Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick remote.
- Launch the Netflix app and sign in.
- Enjoy unlimited Netflix streaming.
Traditionally, Smart TVs do not support VPN. Although with the introduction of Android TV, this is slowly changing. In case you cannot set up a VPN on your Smart TV, use Smart DNS instead to watch American Netflix on it.
- First, sign up with ExpressVPN or any other VPN that offers a Smart DNS proxy service.
- Obtain your primary and secondary DNS server addresses from your VPN provider.
- Then, turn on your Smart TV.
- Next, go to your TV’s network settings -> Advanced.
- Set DNS to Manual.
- Type in the primary and secondary DNS.
- Finally, restart your Smart TV.
Similar to Smart TVs, Apple TV does not natively support VPN. You can either set up your VPN connection on your router or simply use Smart DNS instead.
- On your Apple TV Menu, choose the “Settings” option.
- Select network.
- Click on the Wi-Fi button at the top.
- Choose your Network.
- This will take you to your Wi-Fi configuration where you will see configure DNS option at the bottom of the page.
- Confirm that you want to set DNS manually.
- Select configure DNS option and select Manual. Then, enter the primary and secondary DNS that your VPN service has provided you with.
- Restart your Apple TV.
Netflix US Anywhere – FAQ
By now, you’re all set to access the American version of Netflix. However, a lot of you guys have more questions you need answers to. In this section, we covered everything you may need to know:
Can I Watch Netflix for Free?
Unfortunately, you can’t stream Netflix for free. In the past, Netflix used to offer a 30-day free trial. Now, such a trial does not exist anymore.
Can Any VPN Unblock Netflix?
That’s a hard NO. At the moment, only a few VPN providers can unblock the channel’s US library without being detected. You can find them in this article.
What VPNs can’t Unblock Netflix?
As we said, you can’t just go for any VPN service provider to do something as tough as unblocking Netflix USA abroad.
If it were that easy, then all VPNs would have boasted about their ability to do so, however, that’s not the case with many of them.
A lot of VPNs have struggled to find a workaround for Netflix, some have figured and others have fallen short in comparison. After running a few tests on a variety of VPNs, we have discovered that the following VPNs are not able to unblock Netflix USA.
- PureVPN (Some locations)
- IPVanish VPN
In case you are actually able to get American Netflix abroad using any of these VPNs, please let us know so we can update the list.
How to Check if You Got US Netflix?
The US Netflix library is beyond exciting to go through. The quality and quality of its TV shows, movies, and programs are enough reason to prove how good of a service it is.
You have gotten a VPN subscription, connected to a US server, but still, have no clue as to whether or not you are accessing American Netflix. Here’s what you need to do in order to verify if you are actually watching American Netflix or not.
- Open the Netflix app, or log in to your Netflix account from the official website.
- Locate ‘Search’ and click on it in the top-right corner
- Now, type in ‘Under Siege’.
- If the movie shows up, then congratulations; you have unblocked Netflix US.
Can I Get Netflix for a Cheaper Price?
Yes, you can. All you have to do is connect to a VPN server in a country where the price is cheaper and create an account. So far, Argentina and Turkey have the cheapest prices.
What Are the Top Shows to Watch on Netflix?
Netflix has thousands of titles to binge-watch. However, if you want our recommendations, check the list below:
- Squid Games
- The Haunting of Hill House
- Sex Education
- Money Heist
- Click Bait
- Sweet Home
- Dark Desire
- More to Say
How to Get American Netflix outside US – Final Thoughts
We always want what we can’t have, and what we don’t have happens to be Netflix USA. When it’s that rich and deep in content, you just know that you have got to have it at any cost. If you use a VPN, you’ll realize that American Netflix is the only version that you’ll ever need.
If you’re outside the US, and you feel like watching American Netflix, get a VPN and prepare yourself for some binge-watching goodness. Got more questions? Let us know in the comments.
Best VPN for American Netflix
Description: This provider is one the very few VPNs that actually work with Netflix US. Get hooked on reliable services with an ExpressVPN subscription.
Access blocked content
Visit VPN Service Provider