Apple TV is probably one of the best streaming devices money can buy. If you live in the USA, streaming channels like Netflix, HBO GO, Showtime, ABC Go, Hulu, and CBS are all available. Outside USA, these channels are geoblocked. People have reverted to tools like Hola which allow you to bypass geographic barriers and watch geoblocked content abroad. So, is Hola compatible with Apple TV? How to setup Hola on Apple TV? You simply cannot. There are two Hola alternatives that allow you to unblock and watch American channels on Apple TV outside USA: VPN and Smart DNS proxies.
How to Setup Hola on Apple TV – VPN and Smart DNS Proxy Alternatives
How to Setup Hola on Apple TV – Smart DNS Alternative
First of all, if you are using Hola on any of your devices, you should seriously reconsider. Hola has been proven to be unsafe to use. It sells your bandwidth and turns you into a botnet. Add to that the fact that Hola is only compatible on a handful of devices which do not include the Apple TV.
Smart DNS is the most convenient method to unblock and watch geoblocked channels on Apple TV. That is because Smart DNS can be directly configured on Apple TV via its network settings. Smart DNS only reroutes specific parts of your connection which are geo-related.
- Smart DNS unblocks US channels on Apple TV such as American Netflix, HBO Go, Showtime, Hulu, ABC GO, NBC Sports, CBS All Access, and Disney.
- Smart DNS also unblocks UK channels like BBC iPlayer, Now TV, UK Netflix, 4OD, and TVPlayer.
- Smart DNS does not change your IP address. You can still watch local channels on your Apple TV while Smart DNS is configured on it.
- The one situation where I would recommend using VPN instead of Smart DNS on Apple TV is if your ISP uses DNS hijacking or transparent proxies. These methods can prevent Smart DNS from working.
Sign up for a free Unlocator trial to try out Smart DNS on your Apple TV. If you have not setup Smart DNS on your Apple TV before, take a look at these setup guides.
How to Enable Hola on Apple TV – VPN Alternative
VPN means virtual private network. By connecting to VPN, all your traffic is channeled via a private tunnel which in turn encrypts your data; a great feat for people who want to maximize their Internet privacy and security. The second advantage of VPN is that it gives you the chance to change your IP address. That means you can use VPN to unblock geoblocked content that would only be available in a certain regions by connecting to a VPN servers which is based in that region.
- Unlike Smart DNS, VPN cannot be directly setup on the Apple TV due to the absence of a VPN client.
- To enable VPN on Apple TV, you have to setup your VPN connection on the router the Apple TV is connect to.
- Setting up a US VPN connections unblocks American channels on Apple TV. For UK channels, you need to configure a UK VPN connection.
- Keep in mind that as long as your are connected to VPN, you will not be able to watch your local channels.
- VPN’s data encryption and traffic rerouting drags down your Internet speeds by a small margin.
If you prefer using VPN to unblock geo-restricted channels on Apple TV, sign up with ExpressVPN. They have VPN servers all over the world and provide one of the best customer services compared to other VPN providers.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
How to Setup Hola on Apple TV – Smart DNS Proxy or VPN?
In terms of convenience, Smart DNS would be the better option to bypass regional restrictions on Apple TV. That does not mean you should ignore using VPN to unblock and watch US/UK channels on Apple TV. In short, both are safer and more reliable methods than Hola.