If you wish to disappear online and not let anyone know anything about you, befriend a VPN, and it will look after you. In the age of waning privacy and uncontrolled spying, Internet users are looking for ways to protect themselves online. At the same time, these same users want unlimited access to region-blocked content and the ability to surf the web without limitations. In case you didn’t know a VPN can do that too. You’d certainly find your Mac all the more enjoyable with a VPN service provider installed on it, and we’ll teach you just how to do it.
How to install a VPN on Mac
How to Install a VPN on Mac
This miracle of a technology stands for Virtual Private Network. The name itself suggests a private network meaning, that its users will get a network that is private. Their data and traffic will get encrypted through that private tunnel and get routed through one of the VPN’s servers. Best of all, your Mac gets to have the IP address of the VPN server you chose to connect to, masking your identity in the process. A VPN can help you secure your web traffic, grant you unlimited Internet access, and protect your identity online from snoops, spies, and anyone else who wants to steal your data. Here’s how you install a VPN on Mac.
- Sign up with a VPN service provider.
- Download and install your VPN app on your Mac.
- Launch the application and sign in.
- Select one of the VPN servers and connect to it.
- Check your IP address via a website like WhatIsMyIP.network to make sure a change has been made.
- You have officially hidden your IP address from ISPs and third parties.
If you sign up with ExpressVPN, you can rest assured that your privacy and data are in safe hands. They have the best distribution of location servers that enable just about anyone to connect to their servers. Results are guaranteed, restrictions are bypassed, and performances are consistent. There’s a lot going for ExpressVPN, and you can read all about it in this review. Now if you want to check other service providers, take a look at the table below.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
Can I Install VPN Manually on My Mac?
Obviously, you can also configure a VPN connection on your Mac without a need for a VPN app. You still need to sign up with a VPN service provider in this case though. Setting up the VPN connection will slightly differ depending on which VPN protocol you choose to use. Here’s how to setup VPN manually using the L2TP protocol on your Mac courtesy of BulletVPN:
- Click on “Open Network Preferences”.
- Press “+” to add a new VPN Profile.
- Choose “VPN” for ‘Interface’ – “L2TP over IPSec” for ‘VPN Type’ – “BulletVpn” for ‘Service Name’.
- Insert the following info:
- Insert the desired server address in Server name or Server address box. You can find a list of server addresses in your BulletVPN account.
- Enter your email address.
- Make sure that you checked “Show VPN Status” in the menu bar.
- Click on “Authentication Settings” and fill in the password of your VPN account provided by “BulletVPN”.
- Insert “bulletvpn” in Shared Secret box.
- Click on “OK”.
- Click on “Advanced”.
- Check “Send all traffic over VPN connection“.
- Click on “OK”.
- Click on “Apply”.
- You are ready to connect BulletVPN now, click on the VPN icon in the menu bar and choose “Connect BulletVPN”.
- To disconnect the VPN connection, click on the VPN icon in the menu bar and choose “Disconnect BulletVPN”.
To check whether your Mac’s VPN connection is actually working or not, simply head over to WhatIsMyIP.network and check your IP address before and after connecting to the VPN server. If you’re getting a different IP, it means that your VPN is working as it should.
Why Need a VPN on Mac
It’s been said that if you care about your privacy online, you should actively protect it. This explains why you would need a VPN on your Mac or just about any other Internet-connected device. Just think of how much of your life is already on the Internet and how a large portion of it can be used against you if fallen in the wrong hands. Having a VPN installed could be of great service to your privacy and security. But that’s not all, let’s take a look at what else the VPN has in store:
- Access worldwide content from anywhere in the world.
- Download and upload P2P Files.
- Use public or hotel Wi-Fi without worry.
- Break out of restrictive network at Work/School
- Bypass the censorship and content Surveillance
- Use search engines without having your searches logged
- Protect your privacy.
Install VPN on Mac
There are many compelling reasons why you should install a VPN on your Mac. Not only is it your key to Internet freedom, but also your best bet at regaining your privacy and maintaining security. What’s great about going through this procedure is that it’s simple and fast. You only need to subscribe to a VPN, connect to a server, and you’re all set. Find out what’s the best VPN for Mac and get yours right away.