Is it possible to stream French TV stations while travelling abroad? Canal Plus, France TV, Molotov, TF1, and Zattoo are some of the most popular streaming services in France. Unfortunately for French expats living in USA, Canada, UK, Germany, Italy or elsewhere outside France, all of these channels are geoblocked. That means you cannot watch live or on-demand content French TV unless you’re living in France. In the tutorial below, you can find info on how to bypass geographic restrictions and unblock French TV anywhere in the world.
How to Watch French TV outside France
How to Watch French TV outside France with VPN
French streaming channels are geoblocked abroad. They basically use your IP address to determine your location. Any visitor using an IP that doesn’t originate from France will be banned from watching live or on-demand content. This fact, however, can also play in your favour. You can hide your real IP address and appear to be browsing the web using a French IP address using a VPN.
- Unblock Geoblocked Channels: There are many French streaming services that can only be accessed inside France. With VPN you can bypass regional restrictions.
- Bypass ISP Throttling: Ever noticed that your Internet speed is decent if you are browsing websites but suddenly drops when you are watching videos online? If that is the case, your ISP is probably throttling your Internet speed. Using VPN basically allows you to avoid that from happening.
- Ultimate Privacy: Add an extra layer of privacy and security to all your online activities.
- VPN Applications: You don’t have to be a tech-freak to setup a VPN connection thanks to user-friendly VPN apps on PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and FireStick.
ExpressVPN are highly recommended when it comes to watching French TV outside France, mainly due to their 30-day refund guarantee, as well as their multiple French VPN servers.
How to Stream French TV Abroad with Smart DNS Proxies
Smart DNS is an alternative method to avoid getting geoblocked when trying to watch TV outside France. If you check your IP address location after you have configured Smart DNS on your device, you will still see your real public IP address. That’s because you do not get a new IP address with Smart DNS. Instead only a small portion of your Internet traffic is redirected.
- You cannot unblock any streaming channel you want with Smart DNS. The geoblocked channels you can access depend on which Smart DNS proxy service you are using.
- Smart DNS does not encrypt you Internet connection either. However, you will not experience Internet speed slow downs.
- You can configure Smart DNS on all your streaming devices. Stream the Swiss Indoors tournament on PS3, PS4, Xbox, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Android.
- You do not have to change your Smart DNS configuration each time you want to unblock a streaming channel from a different region.
- Access to all your local channels will also be retained.
Unlocator is a Smart DNS proxy service you can try out. They support unblocking France TV, TF1, myCanal, 6Play, as well as many other geo-restricted channels. Signing up for a 7-day trial is free. To setup Smart DNS on your device, simply follow these video setup guides.
Best French Streaming Channels
- Canal Play
- Molotov TV
- France TV
- France Pluzz
- OCS (Orange Cinéma Séries)
- Play TV
- Eurosport Player
How to Watch French TV outside France – Wrap Up
Regardless of whether you’re on holidays or staying outside France for a long period, being away from home can be quite difficult. Using VPN or Smart DNS allows you to watch your favorite local French TV stations anywhere in the world.