By now, you’ve probably got yourself or heard of the great voice assistant Amazon Echo. This smart speaker with its interactive voice Alexa can manage your calendar, set alarms, and even play music upon request. Sadly, Amazon Echo doesn’t operate outside the US and you can’t find the Alexa app in the stores if you’re abroad. Don’t fret, as this guide will show you how to set up Amazon Echo outside the US with ease.
How to Get Amazon Alexa Application Outside the US
Just a quick reminder that every country has a specific version of app stores. There’s a lot of differences and not all applications can be downloaded everywhere as some are restricted to their own country. For example, if you try to find the Alexa application while outside the US, you’ll find that it’s not available in your region. Therefore, in order to circumvent the issue, all you have to do is change your store’s region to the US and I will show you exactly how to do so. Keep scrolling.
To have access to Alexa on your iPhone or iPad, you need to switch your Apple ID to the US region. It’s really simple you guys. Just follow the steps below and you’ll be fine:
- On your PC or Mac, go to iTunes and sign out of your account.
- Check the bottom right of your screen, you’ll find a flag. Pick the US.
- Search for Alexa and hit Get.
- After that, you’ll be asked to create a new account with a “no card” option to choose. Create one.
- While selecting “no card”, submit an address that’s local to the US.
- Now, on your iPhone or iPad, sign out from iTunes.
- Sign in with your new account.
- Finally, you have a US-based Apple ID and you can download Amazon Alexa.
This is a bit trickier than with an iOS device. When you search for the Alexa app on Google Store, you’ll get this message: “This item is not available in your country”. Google determines your whereabouts by looking at your IP address. Therefore, changing your IP address is the main focus here and can only be done by using a Virtual Private Network. So, without further ado, here’s how you can change your Google Store’s region:
- Sign up with a VPN provider and install the application on your device.
- Go to the server list and select an American server.
- Once the connection is established, go to your device’s settings.
- Click on apps and head over to Google Play Store.
- Click on Clear Data then Force Stop.
- Exit and relaunch Google Play.
- Now you have an American Google Play and you’re able to download Amazon Alexa.
How to Set Up Amazon Echo with Alexa App
Now we will focus on configuring your Amazon Echo using the Alexa app after being able to download it. It’s a very easy process so don’t worry about it. Just follow this step by step walkthrough and you’ll have a new artificial friend to chit-chat with:
- Connect Amazon Echo to a power supply and wait for the blue ring to light up.
- If the device is still new, the blue lights will shift into orange after a few seconds.
- Launch your Alexa app.
- You will need an Amazon account. If you don’t have one, just sign up as you won’t be able to use “Echo” without one.
- In the application, tap on the Devices tab and then on the + symbol at the top.
- Click on Add Device and select Amazon Echo.
- Choose your Echo Model from the list and it should appear in the Select Your Amazon Echo section.
- Tap on it and select the language.
- After that, you’ll be asked if you see the orange light.
- If yes, minimize the Alexa app and go to Wi-Fi settings.
- You’ll notice an Amazon network. Click on it.
- Go back to Alexa and hit continue.
- Now, Alexa will ask you to connect to a Wi-Fi Network. Choose yours.
- You’ve successfully set up Amazon Echo.
Use a VPN for Amazon Echo
The Alexa application is fun to use. Once you know your way around it, you’ll find that there’s so much you can do with it. For example, you can add a Pandora plug-in to your Amazon Echo and listen to your favorite music. Just tell Alexa to activate Pandora and play a certain song and you got it. However, it’s not that simple.
Pandora is a music streaming service that’s only available in the United States. Therefore, if you want to tap into a great library of music, you’re going to have to install a VPN on your router. Amazon Echo needs to be connected to a Wi-Fi service with a present VPN connection to operate a geo-restricted channel like Pandora. The same criterion works with Spotify as well if you ever get to that.
A VPN also helps protect your privacy while using Amazon Echo. With a high-tech device such as Amazon Echo, you probably fear any hacking attempt. Cybercriminals may use Alexa to spy on you if not well-guarded with a Virtual Private Network.
When you’re talking about a reputable VPN that can help you with your Amazon Echo experience, I highly recommend the use of ExpressVPN. You can definitely count on this provider as it provides blazing fast servers in the US and more than 92 other countries. For more information about top VPN services, kindly check the following table.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
How to Set Up Amazon Echo Outside the US – Final Thoughts
Overall, I really suggest having an Amazon Echo at home. It’s really fun and can help you out a lot during your daily routines. A quick reminder though, as amazing as Amazon Echo is, you can benefit more if you have a VPN installed on your router. So, that’s it for the time being. You now know how to operate your Amazon Echo outside the United States. Enjoy.