How to unblock and watch BT Sport outside the UK? BT Sport is one of the most popular sports streaming channels in the United Kingdom. It broadcasts football, UFC, Rugby Union, MotoGP, Champions League, Bundesliga, Seria A, Ligue 1, and MLS.
However, BT Sport is geoblocked abroad. In order to bypass these geo-restrictions and stream BT Sport overseas in the US, Canada, Australia, and anywhere outside the UK, follow this comprehensive guide.
Watch BT Sport Anywhere – Quick Steps
Time needed: 4 minutes.
Let’s cut to the chase, shall we? The following steps are all you need to unblock BT Sport outside of the United Kingdom:
- Sign up with a credible VPN provider that has UK servers.
We highly recommend ExpressVPN for BT Sport.
- Download and install their VPN application on your device.
ExpressVPN has clients on major operating systems such as Android, iOS, PC, Mac, and Amazon Fire Stick.
- Activate the VPN software and sign in with your credentials.
Once you’re logged in, open the server list.
- Now, connect to a server in the United Kingdom.
This process will grant you a British IP address.
- Launch BT Sport’s website or application.
We’ll show you how to get the BT Sport app in a step-by-step guide below.
- Sign in with your account and start watching.
Enjoy BT Sport wherever you may be.
Unblock BT Sport – The Full Guide
Now that you know how to get BT Sport outside the UK, let’s dig deeper into the matter. Here’s everything you need to know about BT Sport, its geo-blocking techniques, and how to get the app on any device you’re operating:
But First! You Need The Following
Before you get to unblock BT Sport, you must have everything on the list below:
- A VPN subscription.
- BT ID or a BT Monthly Pass.
- A BT Sport-compatible device.
BT Sport – Geo-Blocking Applies
As of 2021, BT Sport has millions of subscribers. However, this user base is only located in the UK as the channel applies geo-blocking to restrict any access from abroad.
Just like any streaming service/website out there, BT Sport examines your IP address to pinpoint your physical whereabouts.
Once it figures out that your location is not within its coverage area, it’ll block your attempt almost instantly. Oh, you’ll know that you’ve been blocked as one of those error messages will pop up:
- “This content isn’t available in your area.”
- “Could not download the video. Error Code: PLAYER_ERR_TIMEOUT.”
- “Sorry, but you’re not able to watch this content outside the UK. (VP216)”
- “We are having a problem playing this content. Please check you’re connected to the internet and restart the app on your device.”
- “Sorry, this video is not available in your country.”
- “This content is only available to viewers in the UK.”
As mentioned above, your IP address is the main factor that helps BT Sport block your access overseas. To circumvent regional restrictions abroad, you must change that.
And what better way to do so than with a Virtual Private Network. Just follow the steps provided above and you’ll have yourself BT Sport no matter where you are.
BT TV outside UK – A VPN’s Benefits
A Virtual Private Network is an online tool that enhances your security and anonymizes your internet browsing. Once you connect to a server, the VPN encrypts your data, deeming it completely unreadable by third parties, including hackers.
Also, it cloaks your IP address and replaces it with one based on the connected server’s location. For example, if the server is in the United Kingdom, you’ll receive a UK IP address.
As a result, you’ll be able to access the likes of BT Sport, Sky Go, My5, and anything restricted to the United Kingdom. That’s not the only benefits you get from a VPN as it’s capable of so much more:
- It bypasses ISP throttling, guaranteeing better connection speeds.
- Protects your sensitive data while using public WiFi networks.
- Hides your IP address, concealing everything you’re doing from hackers, ISP, and even your government.
- Unblocks major streaming services (This depends on how credible the VPN is).
A VPN can be easily set up on Android, iPhone, iPad, PC, or Mac. Some top providers also have an application for Amazon Fire Stick.
One of the best VPNs for BT Sport would be ExpressVPN. The decade+-year-old VPN with a huge server network and excellent connection speeds.
Moreover, ExpressVPN has a 30-day refund policy. So, in case you want to take this service for a spin, you can do so risk-free and get your money within the first 30 days of purchase if it didn’t live up to your expectations.
Now, ExpressVPN is our top recommendation, but it’s certainly not the only provider capable of getting the job done. All the VPNs on the list below can unblock BT Sport anywhere.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- 7-day free trial
- User-friendly application
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
How to Create a BT Account Overseas – No BT Contract Needed
Those of you living abroad will find it difficult to get BT Sport as it needs a long-term contract that includes a billing address and landline.
However, BT Sport has recently added a subscription-based BT Sport service that goes by the name of “Monthly Pass.” With that, you only pay £25, and you don’t need BT broadband.
If you don’t know how to subscribe, follow the steps below:
- First, activate your VPN and connect to a UK server.
- Head over to https://www.bt.com/sport
- Scroll down to the middle of the page and click on Get BT Sport.
- On the next screen, go to the end of the screen, and select Buy Monthly Pass.
- Enter an email and your password, followed by Continue.
- Submit your first name, last name, date of birth, and your mother’s maiden name. (P.S: Phone Number is Optional).
- Enter a UK Post Code and click Continue to Payment.
- Select your Payment Method and Checkout.
- You’re now subscribed to BT Sport.
How to Install BT Sport on Any Device Outside the UK
Alright then! Now you have a VPN account and a BT Sport subscription. All that’s left is to install the app on the device you’re operating.
If you’re using an Android device, including Nvidia Shield, follow the steps below in order to get BT Sport:
- Download the VPN app on your Android device and sign in.
- Connect to a UK server and change your Google Play Store region to the UK.
- Now, get the BT Sport app, and sign in.
- Start watching BT Sport anywhere.
On iPhone and iPad, getting the BT Sport app requires the following steps:
- Get the VPN app on your iOS device and connect to a UK server.
- Switch your Apple Store region to the UK and download the BT Sport app.
- Launch BT Sport and sign in.
- Enjoy top sports on BT Sport anywhere.
If you want to watch BT Sport on your Samsung Smart TV, follow the steps below:
- Set up the VPN on your router and connect to a UK server.
- Change your Samsung Smart TV region to the UK and download the BT Sport app.
- Activate BT Sport, sign in, and start streaming.
On Apple TV, you must go through this step-by-step walkthrough to get BT Sport:
- Set up a UK VPN connection on your router.
- Switch your Apple TV store’s country to the UK and get BT Sport.
- Open the application and sign in.
- Stream live sports on Apple TV anywhere.
Using PlayStation or Xbox as your streaming hub? Then here’s how you can get BT Sport:
- Install the VPN on your router and connect to a UK server.
- Change your console’s region to the UK and get the BT Sport app.
- Run BT Sport, sign in, and stream away.
If you happen to own an Amazon Fire Stick, you’ll find that getting BT Sport is very easy:
- Download and install the VPN app on your Fire TV/FireStick.
- Connect to a UK server.
- Change your Amazon account to the UK and download the BT Sport app. You can also sideload it.
- Launch BT Sport, log in, and start watching.
Using a Roku device? Here’s what you need to do:
- Set up a UK VPN connection on your router.
- Change your Roku’s region to the UK and install the BT Sport app.
- Sign in with your account.
- Start watching BT Sport anywhere outside the UK.
Getting BT Sport on Chromecast is quite different than the other devices. What you need to do is the following:
- Set the VPN up on your router and establish a UK connection.
- Download and install the BT Sport app on your iOS or Android mobile.
- Sign in with your account and play a video.
- Click on Cast and start streaming on your TV via Chromecast.
BT Sport Anywhere – FAQ
There are a lot of questions you’re still wondering about. Don’t worry! We’re here to answer all of your queries.
Do I Need a BT Broadband to Watch BT Sport?
No. With BT Sport Monthly Pass, you can stream BT Sport without having to commit to a long-term Broadband deal. No upfront fee and you can cancel anytime
Can I Watch Boxing on BT Sport?
Of course, you can. Aside from being one of the major Boxing broadcasters in the UK, BT subscribers can access none other than BoxNation through the BT Sport app.
Unfortunately, it’s not. Back in the day, UFC fans used to watch UFC main events on BT Sport 2 for free if they’re already subscribed.
However, every UFC major event is now broadcasted on BT Sport Box Office, and they mainly cost £19.95.
What Devices Can I Watch BT Sport on?
BT Sport is available for streaming on several operating systems such as:
- Android TV
- NOW TV
- PlayStation 4
- Xbox (One, One S and One X consoles)
- Fire TV
- Samsung Smart TVs (2015 models onwards)
- Google Chromecast
- Apple TV
Does BT Sport Still Use GPS on iOS Devices?
No. In the past, BT Sport used Location Services on iPhone and iPad. This meant that neither Smart DNS nor VPN can unblock BT Sports outside the UK on these devices.
Now, BT Sport does not access your Location Services, giving you the chance to stream its content on iPhone and iPad with ease.
Does BT Sport Support 4K?
Yes. With the BT Sport app, you can stream content in 4K UHD or full HD (1080p up to 50 frames per second).
Can Any VPN Unblock BT Sport?
Definitely not. BT Sport applies a tough VPN banning mechanism. We tested a lot of VPNs and some weren’t useful at all. The 4 providers on our list have everything it takes to unblock BT Sport abroad.
BT outside the UK – The Conclusion
Given BT Sport’s coverage of Champions League, MLB, NBA, and Nascar, it’s well worth all the work. Technically, what you need to do isn’t that hard.
We’ve included every single step you need to watch BT Sport in your country. If you have more questions, let us know in the comments below.