How to share VPN connection on Mac OS X? If you want bypass geo restrictions and location errors, you have to use VPN. VPN apps can be easily installed on PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device. This makes unblocking American Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Amazon Prime fairly simply on these devices. But what about other streaming platforms that do not natively support VPN? There are two workarounds that allow you to enable VPN on Smart TV, PS3, PS4, Xbox, Chromecast, Roku, or Apple TV. You can either install VPN on your router or setup VPN on your Mac and then share your VPN connection with other streaming devices. In this guide, you can find step-by-step instructions on how to sharing your Mac’s VPN connection with other devices.
How to Share VPN Connection on Mac OS
How to Share VPN Connection on Mac
You essentially have to setup the VPN connection on your Mac. Then, you have to turn your Mac into a virtual router and connect your devices to it. This allows any connect device to share your computer’s VPN connection.
- On your Mac, go to the System Preferences menu, then click on Sharing.
- In the Sharing menu, select Internet Sharing from the left panel. The Internet Sharing options will appear on the right side of the screen. Set the following settings:
- Share your connection from: [the L2TP VPN connection you just created]
- To computers using: check the box for Wi-Fi
- Select Wi-Fi Options and enter the following details:
- Network Name: [choose a network name]
- Channel: [leave as default]
- Security: WPA2 Personal
- Password: [choose a password]
- Verify: [re-enter your password]
- Then click OK.
- On the Sharing menu, check the box next to Internet Sharing. You will see a prompt asking you to turn on Internet sharing.
- Click Start.
- When Internet Sharing has been activated, a green light will appear next to the text: “Internet Sharing: On”.
- Now, turn on your Chromecast, Smart TV, PS4, Xbox, Apple TV, or Roku.
- Setup a new WiFi connection to the virtual router you have setup on your PC.
- Congrats! You are now connected to your VPN-enabled virtual router.
Best VPN Service for Mac VPN Connection Sharing
There are a lot VPN providers you can use to setup and share your Mac VPN connection. What matters here is whether the VPN you are using allows you to unblock the streaming channels or not. Here’s a list of features you should look out for when choosing your VPN service.
- VPN server locations: In order to unblock a certain app, you need to connect to a VPN server in a region where it is available. The more VPN location a VPN provider offers the better.
- Server Speed: If you want to avoid buffering issues, your VPN provider has to offer fast servers that do not drag down your Internet speed.
- Customer Support: 24/7 live chate support is a must. You need a helping hand in case you get stuck while setting up your VPN connection.
- Refund Policy: There’s always a chance that the VPN service doesn’t live up to your expectations. Top VPN providers offer 30-day money-back guarantees.
- Smart DNS Proxies: Some unblockers, such as ExpressVPN and Unlocator offer their users Smart DNS proxies which can be directly setup on PS3, PS4, Xbox, Apple TV, Fire TV Stick, or routers. If you use Smart DNS, there is no need to share your Mac VPN connection to bypass regional restrictions.
Based on these features, here are the best VPN services you can use to share a VPN connection from your Mac.
Last Updated Today
How to Share VPN Connection on Mac
There’s no doubt that sharing your VPN connection from a Mac is a complicated process. If you think the procedure is too difficult for you, sign up with ExpressVPN and use their Smart DNS proxy service on your streaming devices instead.