How to unblock Freeform outside the US? Formerly ABC Family, Freeform is an online platform for streaming TV live and on-demand. This service however is only available to residents of the US.
In other words, Freeform is geoblocked in countries such as Canada, UK, Australia, Germany, Norway, and elsewhere abroad.
That won’t be the case for long. If you are an American ex-pat and want to watch Freeform abroad, this guide is all you need.
Unblock Freeform Anywhere – Quick Steps
Time needed: 4 minutes.
Let’s cut it short. In simple steps, here’s how you can unblock Freeform outside the United States:
- Get a VPN subscription and download the app.
We recommend ExpressVPN as it has apps on Android, iOS, PC, Mac, and FIreStick.
- Activate the VPN software and sign in with your credentials.
Enter your username and password to access the server list.
- Connect to an American server.
You’ll receive a US IP address in the process.
- Launch Freeform’s website or application.
A step-by-step guide on how to install Freeform is provided below.
- Sign in to Freeform.
We’ll show you how to create an account later on in the article.
- Watch Freeform anywhere.
Enjoy live and on-demand content wherever you are.
Unblock FreeForm Anywhere – The Full Walkthrough
We still have a lot to talk about and you have a lot to learn, especially when it comes to installing Freeform on your devices. Therefore, take the time to go through this full “How to Unblock Freeform” and learn everything in about 5 minutes:
What You Need
To unblock Freeform outside the US, you must have everything in the list below:
- A reputable VPN.
- Freeform account(for extra priveleges.
- US TV provider subscription.
- Freeform-compatible device.
Is FreeForm Available Outside the USA?
Quick answer: No it’s not. The channel only operates within U.S territories – nowhere else. Due to copyright agreements, Freeform uses geo-blocking.
It’s a form of defense that allows it to restrict its access to specific locations. In this case, the United States. Anyone living abroad won’t be able to stream its content as it examines their IP address to determine that they’re outside its coverage area.
Once it figures that out, it blocks their access by presenting one of these error messages:
- “You appear to be outside the United States or its territories. Due to international rights agreements, we only offer this video to viewers located within the United States and its territories.”
- “You appear to be outside the United States or its territories. Due to international rights agreements, you must be physically located within the United States or its territories, including Puerto Rico, Guam, Saipan, American Samoa, and U.S. Virgin Islands to enjoy this app.”
There’s nothing to worry about. We created this guide for a reason, and when you’re done with the steps above, you’ll be watching Freeform outside the US in no time.
A VPN’s Benefits
You can use VPN to unblock content on Freeform while residing outside of the USA. Basically, a VPN changes your device’s IP address to trick the servers into thinking that you are actually situated in America.
When this is done successfully, the servers send you all the content that you request without an issue afterward. However, despite its unblocking abilities, a VPN is first and foremost a security tool.
It increases your online security and anonymizes your browsing activities. More info about what a VPN can do is provided below:
- A VPN can bypass ISP throttling, ensuring better connection speeds.
- VPNs will give you extra security and privacy while being connected as all of your device’s traffic gets encrypted. This will also save you from your ISP spying on you.
- A VPN has dedicated clients on major operating systems such as Mac, PC, Android, and iOS devices.
ExpressVPN is a VPN service that is able to bypass geographical restrictions by Freeform. ExpressVPN has a 30-days refund period. The VPN providers listed below also allow you to watch Freeform outside the USA.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
Freeform Abroad – Smart DNS Proxy
The alternative solution to using VPN is Smart DNS Proxy, this method is harder to implement but will definitely save you a breath in the long run.
Smart DNS Proxy works a bit differently than VPN as it does not change your device’s IP address, instead, it simply redirects the geo-related traffic only, so that Freeform assumes to be in the US.
- Smart DNS Proxy can be implemented on most of your devices including your PC, Mac, Android, Apple TV, Smart TV, PS3, PS4, Xbox, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and iOS devices.
- When using this service, your internet speed will be at maximum.
- Smart DNS Proxy allows you unblock geoblocked channels from different regions simultaneously. Watch Freefrom, BBC iPlayer, and ABC iView at the same time.
- Some ISPs can possibly use transparent proxies or DNS hijacking. Such procedures might stop Smart DNS from working properly.
All the VPNs in the table above allow you to use Smart DNS as a VPN alternative. You don’t have to pay anything extra – the service comes for free with every subscription.
Moreover, the providers also offer a 30-day refund policy. That way, you’ll know that you won’t be risking anything while signing up with any one of them.
How to Create a Freeform Account Outside the US
With a VPN subscription, accessing Freeform becomes an easy task. As a result, you’ll be able to create your free account in no time. This is what you need to do:
- Use your VPN to connect to a US server.
- Visit https://www.freeform.com/
- At the top of the screen, click on Account.
- Select Create an Account.
- Fill in the necessary details and choose Create Account.
- Your account is now created.
- Click Continue to manage it and you’re done.
Please note that a Freeform account does not give you access to the channel’s content. It just adds extra privileges such as saving your favorite series and continuing from where you previously stopped.
To watch Freeform, you need a US cable subscription. In case you don’t have one, contact anyone you might know in the US to provide theirs or help you create your own.
How to Install Freeform on Any Device Outside the USA
Now that you got yourself a VPN subscription and US TV subscription, sign in with your free Freeform account, and follow the steps below to get Freeform on any device you might be operating:
To get Freeform on your PC and Mac, here’s what you need to do:
- Download the VPN app and connect to a US server.
- Go to https://www.freeform.com/
- Click on any title you want to watch and sign in with your TV provider’s credentials.
- Watch Freeform wherever you are.
If you’re using an Android mobile and select Android TV platforms, you can get Freeform by doing the following:
- Download the VPN app on your device and establish a US VPN connection.
- Change your Google Play Store’s region to America and download Freeform.
- Launch the channel’s app and sign in to your TV provider.
- Start watching top US content anywhere.
To watch Freeform on Apple TV, the following steps are required:
- Set up a US VPN connection on your router.
- Change your Apple TV Store’s region to the US.
- Download and install the Freeform app on your device.
- Launch the app and sign in with your TV provider.
- Start streaming wherever you may be.
Just like Android, the iOS process is pretty simple. What you need to do is this:
- Download the VPN app on your iPhone/iPad and connect to a US server.
- Switch your Apple Store region to the US and get Freeform.
- Launch the channel’s client and log in with your TV Provider.
- Stream whatever you want, wherever you are.
If you’re a Chromecast user, you won’t be able to get the Freeform app from abroad. However, you can do the following in order to stream its content:
- Install the VPN on your router and connect to a US server.
- Download the Freeform app on your iOS or Android mobile.
- Launch the channel and sign in with your TV Provider.
- Choose a video and hit play.
- Click on the cast option and start watching through Chromecast.
Freeform has a dedicated app on Samsung Smart TVs. To get it, you must do this:
- Set the VPN on your router and connect to a US server. You can also configure Smart DNS on your TV.
- Change your Samsung TV’s region to America and get Freeform.
- Activate the channel’s app and sign in.
- Start binge-watching.
On Roku, here’s what you need to do in order to get Freeform:
- Install a VPN on your router or configure Smart DNS on it.
- Change your Roku region to the USA and download Freeform.
- Activate Freeform and sign in.
- Let the streaming begin!
FireStick has become a popular streaming hub. To get Freeform on the device, you’ll have to do this:
- Download the VPN app on your Fire TV and connect to a US server.
- Change your Amazon Account to the US and get Freeform.
- You can also sideload it directly to the device.
- Launch Freeform, sign in, and start streaming.
Freeform Anywhere – The FAQ Section
Of course, there are more questions you need answers to. Well then, this section is all yours:
Is Freeform Free?
In a way, yes. You can get full access to Freeform if you log in with your cable provider’s credentials. Other than that, you can’t stream anything.
Why Can’t I Watch Freeform with my Free Account?
With Freeform, you can create a free account. However, you’ll still have to provide a valid TV subscription to stream the content.
Do I Need an Account to Watch Freeform?
No, you don’t. An account only unlocks more features such as picking your favorite shows, continuing from where you stopped, and getting recommendations.
Can I Subscribe to Freeform Directly?
No, you can’t. No standalone subscriptions are available with Freeform. The only way you can watch its content is by having a cable subscription.
What Devices Can I Stream Freeform on?
These are the streaming devices on which you can stream Freeform.
- Apple TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- Amazon Fire TV
I Have a Disney+ Account, Do I Need to Create one for Freeform?
No. You can sign in using the email you sign in to Disney Plus with. In fact, if you try to create an account with the same email, Freeform will notify you that you already use it with Disney, ABC, and ESPN.
How Long Does the Content Stay on Freeform?
There’s no specific time – it varies. However, an expiration message will show up on each video one week before it’s due to expire.
Unblock Freeform Anywhere – Final Thoughts
Freeform is a channel that should not be missed regardless of where you’re located. Now, you have all the means to access it anywhere.
If you have any questions or run into any issues while trying to unblock Freeform, contact us in the comment section below. We’re here to help.
5 thoughts on “How to Watch Freeform Anywhere – Unblock Outside the US”
It says that I have to log in to a TV provider in order to watch. How do I get past that?
There are some TV show episodes that you can watch for free on Freeform. However, for the vast majority, you’ll need an American cable provider account in order to sign in. There is no workaround I am afraid.
I have ExpressVPN and put my location in the US and Freeform app on my iPhone detects that I am outside the US. Anyone figure out how to bypass this?
Hello Shannon. Try turning off location services on your iPhone.
FREEFORM says it can’t let me view the episodes because I’m not in the us or us territory because I have vpn on but my location is off
Try watching the On-demand episodes or connect to a different US VPN server location.