BBC iPlayer is one of my favorite streaming services. However, when I was in China, I couldn’t keep up with my TV shows because it’s only available in the UK. Well, that’s just one reason. Even if it was accessible, China banned all BBC websites ever since they migrated to HTTPS. After all of this, one might wonder what options they have. Search no more; I have the answer. In this guide, I’m going to show how to unblock BBC iPlayer in China. Follow my lead, and you’ll be just fine.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in China
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in China Using a VPN
Attempting to access BBC iPlayer from anywhere outside the UK is useless, China is no exception. When you try to access the channel overseas, you get one of two frustrating geo-error messages. Here’s what I got when I was trying to watch Killing Eve on the platform’s website:
- “This content doesn’t seem to be working.”
- “BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.”
Geo-restrictions don’t permit access unless it’s coming from within the country where the service, channel or website is based. That’s the case with BBC iPlayer as people who are not in the UK and don’t have a British IP can’t get past the error message that pops up.
Chinese users or even British expats in China who want to stream the channels content can do so with a VPN. So, don’t worry, I’m not going to leave you empty-handed. Keep scrolling and learn how to unblock BBC iPlayer in China.
Watch BBC iPlayer in China
This part is crucial, so please read it carefully. To access BBC iPlayer anywhere in the world, you’ll need a VPN to spoof your location. To do the same job in China requires some extra measures. China is an enemy of the internet, and the use of a VPN is hard in the region. It can block numerous VPN providers. However, there are a few VPNs that still work in the country. I’ll be talking about them later on.
Changing your location isn’t the only thing VPNs are capable of. They also protect your data with high-level encryptions and hide your identity when you’re browsing the web. With that out of the way, here’s what you need to do so that you can access BBC iPlayer in China:
- Before you begin, you need to pick a VPN that works in the country. I recommend ExpressVPN.
- When you subscribe, download their application on the device you wish to stream BBC iPlayer on.
- After that, sign in with the account you just created and navigate to the server list.
- Choose a UK server since the channel is only available in the United Kingdom. Hit connect.
- Once the connection takes place, head back to BBC iPlayer.
- You’ll notice that there’s no more error on your screen and that you can watch BBC iPlayer in China with ease.
Best VPN for China
As I mentioned, China blocks VPNs, but ExpressVPN is not one of them. You can definitely rely on the services this VPN provides for users. First, you get to access servers scattered around 94 countries. 3000+ to be exact. Second, you’ll be streaming at full speed as their servers are blazing fast. You wouldn’t even notice that the encryption caused a drop.
Second, you get military-grade encryptions to protect your device from any possible online threat. Privacy-wise, your data doesn’t get logged or collected by the company courtesy of their strict no-log policy. ExpressVPN allows you to connect 5 devices under the same account. That’s pretty good considering it has a wide device-compatibility range. You can download their application on Android, iOS, PC, Mac, as well as FireStick.
Now, ExpressVPN is the best and all, but it’s not the only one that can function in China. Check out the best VPNs for Mainland China in the table below.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- 7-day free trial
- User-friendly application
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
What to Look for on BBC iPlayer
You really don’t know how much this streaming platform can elevate your internet experience when in a country like China. You’ll be tapping into the biggest library the UK has ever seen. Let me give you a quick idea:
- Killing Eve
- Keeping Faith
- Holby City
- The Bodyguard
- Peaky Blinders
- The Looming Tower
- Earth From Space
- Line of Duty
- Doctor Who
Stream BBC iPlayer in China
Who would have thought that accessing services like BBC iPlayer would be possible in a country as restricting as China? Users in China have to rely on circumvention tools to access thousands of blocked websites, and there’s no better tool than a Virtual Private Network. Watch live TV, catch up on episodes, and download TV programs to watch later with BBC iPlayer in China using your VPN. Read this article well and share your experience in the comments below.