Don’t you just hate it when you’re craving for a certain thing but can’t seem to get a hold of it? Yeah, imagine when I lost access to my BBC iPlayer account the moment I entered Hong Kong. You see, the channel is geo-restricted to the UK, but it’s very popular abroad. To be honest, it’s not fair considering the history of the two countries. Hong Kong was part of the British crown and in my opinion, people there are more inclined to access the channel. Don’t worry, I’ll get your rights back to you in no time. I got the channel outside the UK and it’s time for you to do the same. Ready? Let’s do it. Here’s how you can watch BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong
BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong
BBC iPlayer has a lot to offer on a wide range of devices. Although the BBC is restricted to UK residents, people in Hong Kong can still access it using a VPN. They can even avoid the geo-error message:
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.”
BBC iPlayer Geo-Error
That’s the error I got when I was trying to watch The Bodyguard a while ago. Well, this message appears when a viewer is approaching the channel from a different country, i.e, with an IP address that doesn’t show that he/she is in the UK. BBC iPlayer can determine a streamer’s whereabouts by looking at their IP address.
Once it figures out that you’re a foreigner, it will block your access on the spot. As I mentioned before, a VPN can help you get around this issue without a hitch. Follow my lead and find out how to do so.
Unblock BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong
VPNs are internet tools that were originally dedicated to increasing a user’s online security. However, they now can also help bypass regional restrictions by shifting your location elsewhere. If you connect to a certain VPN server, you’ll appear to be browsing in the country where that server is based. You’ll end up having an IP address in that region and full access to its restricted content.
For example, if the server is in the UK. You’ll obtain a UK IP address once you connect. With that, you can stream BBC iPlayer although you’re physically abroad. With that said, follow these steps and unblock BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong:
- First, you need to subscribe to a credible VPN service. Based on my experience, I highly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Now, you need to get their dedicated app. Download it from their website or your device’s native App Store.
- Install it and sign in with your VPN credentials.
- Next, look for a UK server and connect.
- Chill for a few seconds until a connection is in place.
- Launch BBC iPlayer‘s website or app.
- Stream the best BBC content in Hong Kong.
Picking the right VPN for the job can be a bit daunting. Well, that’s why I’m here. ExpressVPN is considered to be one of the best VPN for Hong Kong. It comes with blazing fast servers in the UK and high-level security features. If you don’t like their service, ask for a refund during a 30-day period and check other best VPNs for BBC iPlayer in the table below.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- 7-day free trial
- User-friendly application
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong Using a Smart DNS
Bypassing regional restrictions doesn’t only rely on VPNs. There’s another way that specializes with that but doesn’t protect the user’s data, Smart DNS Proxy.
The service doesn’t give an extra layer of protection in terms of strong encryptions and security protocols. No, it’s strictly to get around blocks. However, since it doesn’t encrypt your data, you’ll be operating at full internet speed.
Not to mention that although your identity won’t be cloaked, you get to watch both BBC iPlayer and your local channels at the same time since your IP is not hidden.
Let’s start unblocking BBC iPlayer with Smart DNS, shall we?
- You also need to subscribe to a reputable provider here. WHich one? Well, of course, Unlocator. They do offer a 7-day free trial.
- All you have to do is sign in with your account using their website and configure the DNS by using these tutorials based on the platform you’re using.
- You’re done. You can stream BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong and all over the world.
A 7-day free trial is more than enough to test a provider out. Don’t forget, during that period, everything included in Unlocator’s services can be used, even their VPN service. Go ahead, give it a try, you get to have dozens of UK services in Hong Kong.
BBC iPlayer’s Content
Once you get a hold of this streaming giant in Hong Kong, you’ll be able to stream the following:
- East Enders
- The Ranganation
- The Victim
- Mayans MC
- Les Miserables
- The Real CSI
- Earth From Space
- Doctor Who
- The Looming Tower
As we mentioned, BBC iPlayer is one of the biggest channels in the world. That’s why it’s fair to have a plethora of devices to work on. Here they are
- Amazon Fire TV
- Xbox One
- Apple TV
Watch BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong
No matter what UK content you’re into, BBC iPlayer has. I know, you’re stuck to what Hong Kong has to offer, but you can step out of this limitation you live in. Make use of a VPN or Smart DNS and you’ll have a whole different streaming catalog to tap into. Get BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong and let me know how all that went for you in the comment section below.