How to setup a VPN client on a DD-WRT router? Setting up a VPN client on PC, Mac, iOS, or Android is relatively easy thanks to VPN apps. However, for other streaming devices such as Smart TV, Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV Stick, PS4, or Xbox, you need to configure VPN on your router instead. While this certainly not easy, it’s still doable if you carefully follow the right steps. In this guide, you can find instructions to configure a VPN client on your DD-WRT router and secure your WiFi network.
How to Setup VPN Client on DD-WRT Router
Step 1: Install DD-WRT on your Router
First of all, you need to know that not all routers are DD-WRT compatible. If you own an ISP modem, you most certainly cannot install DD-WRT on it. Here’s a list of the most popular DD-WRT compatible routers. Keep in mind that installing DD-WRT involves flashing your router. So, be extra careful.
You can find the complete list of DD-WRT compatible routers along with their model number here. Once that is done, you can begin with the DD-WRT installation using this guide.
Step 2: Sign up with a VPN Provider
Now that you have installed DD-WRT on your router, it’s time to sign up with a VPN provider. Make sure that whichever VPN provider you sign up offers a 30-day refund period. Also, verify that they support different VPN protocols i.e. OpenVPN, IPsec, L2TP, and PPTP. As a guide, here are the best VPNs for DD-WRT routers in 2017.
Last Updated Today
Step 3: Configure VPN Client on DD-WRT Router
Assuming you have signed up with ExpressVPN, you’ll receive a welcome email that includes the necessary licenses. Once you click on that link, follow these steps to setup VPN client on your DD-WRT router. If you’re using a different VPN service, that necessary instructions are practically the same as well.
- Log into your ExpressVPN account and choose ‘Setup ExpressVPN’.
- Choose ‘Manual Config’ and then select ‘OpenVPN’.
- Download the ‘.ovpn’ file to your PC or Mac.
- Now, open your router configuration. You can do that by typing your router’s IP address in your browser’s address bar. Most routers have 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.1.254 as their IP address.
- From the DD-WRT control panel, choose ‘Services’ and then ‘VPN’.
- Make sure to enable to ‘Start OpenVPN client’ option.
- Now, you need to enter the ‘Server IP/Name’, ‘Port’, TLS Auth Key, CA Cert, Public Client Cert, and Private Client Key.
- For both Server IP/Name and Port, open the .ovpn config file you have downloaded earlier using text editor.
- From the .ovpn file, copy the text between <tls-auth> and </tls-auth>. Then, paste it in the TLS Auth Key field.
- For CA cert, copy the text between <ca> and </ca> and paste it in the CA Cert field.
- Copy the text between <cert> and </cert> and paste it in the Public Client Cert field.
- Finally, copy the text between <key> and </key> and paste in in the Private Client field.
- Click on Save, and then click Apply settings to start the connection to the VPN.
- Now, Click on Status > OpenVPN. If you have correctly configured the VPN client on your DD-WRT router, you should see the ‘Connected Success’ status.
How to Configure VPN Client on DD-WRT Router
Setting up VPN on a DD-WRT router does involve some effort, but if you want to share your VPN connection with all your devices, it’s the best way to go. You can bypass geographic restrictions and avoid Internet censorship on all streaming platforms connected to that router. Whether that is your Fire TV, Apple TV, Smart TV, PS3, PS4, Xbox, Wii, Roku, or Chromecast.