How to watch American Netflix in Canada in 2023? Netflix USA boasts a lot more movies and series than the Canadian Netflix library. If you found your way to this article it probably means that you already have the Canada Netflix version and you are looking for a way on how to get American Netflix in Canada. After reading this blog post, you will be able to get US Netflix in Canada and outside the USA. In this guide, I will compare VPN and DNS to get the US Netflix library and you can make up your own mind what suits you best.
how to watch American Netflix in Canada
American Netflix Vs Canadian Netflix: Why?
Why would you want to get American Netflix in Canada against your local version of Netflix, the main reason is that using the fix below, you will be able to watch Canadian Netflix when you feel like it and you can switch to the American Version of Netflix in Canada when you feel like it. The major shows that you will when choosing the US version of Netflix in Canada are :
- Family Guy
- Don Juan
- Black Swan
- 30 Rock
- Bad boys II
- More seasons for shows that exist on both American and Canadian Netflix.
- Netflix USA has more than 10000 movies/shows. Netflix Canada has roughly 4000 movies/shows.
There are a lot more shows, and the new releases are added monthly. So feel free to add comments on the more valuable differences you find. I will update regularly. If you need one reason on why I use the American Netflix library, it is because I can get it easily and because it is more fun!
How to Watch American Netflix in Canada with VPN
VPN = Virtual Private Network, it is a service that is easy to set up and natively supported on a lot of devices, see the reasons why you want to use VPN below:
- VPN encrypts all your traffic, this will protect you from Man in the Middle Attacks.
- It also prevents your ISP from eavesdropping on your online activities. Do whatever you want online anonymously.
- You can get all the content of the VPN server country. So if you use a VPN server in the USA you will get US sites such as Hulu Plus, Pandora, HBO Go, ABC, Fox and you probably will get access to more discounts as some stores give special prices to IPs that appear to be coming from the USA.
- Depending on your VPN provider if you choose the VPN server, you can appear to come from any part of the world. That includes USA, UK, Brazil, Egypt, Japan, and others.
- If you live in a rural part of Canada or you have a stubborn ISP, you might be a victim of DNS Hijacking or your ISP might use a Transparent Proxy. VPN does beat both of these problems. Unfortunately, DNS Hijacking and Transparent proxies break Smart DNS, so in this case, VPN is your only choice.
- If you wish to stop using VPN all you have to do is disconnect.
If you are looking for a VPN server, I personally use a VPN service named ExpressVPN. They do support 300 locations, and their support is superb. On top of that, you get a 30-day refund guarantee. So there is practically no risk involved when you sign up.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
How to Get American Netflix in Canada – Step By Step Guide
First, you need to do is sign up with a VPN provider from the list above. I constantly test these VPNs to verify they are still working. In case any of them do not work with Netflix any longer, I will remove them from the list. In some cases, some American VPN servers work while others don’t. Try connecting to a different US server if you get the Netflix proxy error, or contact your VPN’s support to get info on which servers are still working.
Follow these steps to get American Netflix in Canada.
- Sign up with a VPN provider.
- Download and install the VPN application on your PC, Mac, Android, iOS device.
- Launch the VPN application and sign in using your VPN account.
- Now, connect to an American VPN server.
- Finally, go to the Netflix website or launch the Netflix application.
- Watch American Netflix in Canada.
Netflix VPN Ban
They say “get a VPN, then Netflix and Chill.” However, some of us have witnessed how Netflix is now able to block VPN access to its library. It was nice while it lasted for a couple of months, but now Netflix has a way to detect whether or not you’re using an unblocker or proxy. This is what happens when your VPN provider is blocked by the streaming giant.
If Netflix determines that you’re using some kind of software to unblock its content abroad, you’ll definitely receive this message: “You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
Don’t fret, using a proper VPN will get you through this with ease. Not all VPNs can be detected by Netflix. You’ll see the truth to that when we speak about the best VPNs for Netflix below.
Best VPN to Get US Netflix in Canada
Many VPNs have given up on Netflix unblocking, in response to the infamous proxy error advising you to turn off your VPN when watching Netflix. I’ve shown you the error above and now I’m going to shed some light on the VPN services that still work with Netflix to this day. I tested a lot since Netflix started to ban VPNs and proxies. As a result, I came up with four of the best services that can get you the US catalog despite Netflix’s blocking efforts. Here they are.
ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands, which is an independent country not within the UK’s jurisdiction. Therefore, you’re totally safe from the 5-eyes association. This VPN boasts the best military-grade encryptions and anonymizes your internet approach. That helps avoid any cyber attack that may be targetting your device and snooping attempts by ISP and government.
Moreover, ExpressVPN adopts the strict no-log policy, which means that no matter how long you’ve been using their service, they won’t record what you do online.
When you subscribe, you’ll notice a MediaStreamer feature. That’s ExpressVPN’s own Smart DNS proxy service. You can use it on platforms that are not natively compatible with VPNs such as PlayStation, Xbox, Roku, Smart TV, and routers.
For more info, check out this VPN’s features:
- 30-day cash-back.
- Operates in China and other highly censored countries.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Works perfectly with Netflix.
- More than 128 server locations around the world.
- 24/7 support.
- 256-bit AES encryption
- 5 simultaneous connections.
NordVPN NordVPN sports a large network of over 5000+ servers around the world. I ran into some problems a while ago with their server speeds. It got a bit slower but the issue was fixed instantly. Once you have a valid NordVPN subscription, you’ll be able to pick the servers you connect to based on certain scenarios such as streaming, torrenting, and online gaming.
On the other hand, this VPN offers a feature called double VPN. With that, your data will be channeled through two servers instead of one, which doubles your encryption and the security on your internet traffic.
NordVPN can unblock US Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer, among others with ease. Here are more benefits of this VPN:
- Servers in more than 60 countries.
- Cyber Security feature against malware and malicious software.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- Double VPN feature.
- 30-day cash back.
- 6 simultaneous connections.
- Works well with Netflix.
BulletVPN based in Estonia is certainly alluding to how fast and penetrable its service is. Whether unblocking geo-restricted services like Netflix or bypassing government controlled filters, they do deliver at super fast speeds.
Their servers are fully equipped for all sorts of internet activities that might come to your mind. Whether you’re looking for fast streaming, torrenting, or online gaming, you’ll be more than satisfied. Scroll down for more:
- Servers scattered in 30 different countries.
- Smart DNS feature.
- Supports PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN, IKEv1, and IKEv2 protocols.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- No logs kept.
- On the clock support team via email or live chat.
- Connects 5 simultaneous devices.
SurfShark is a relatively new VPN that offers security, speed, and so much more you can never expect from a young VPN like this. Their client is as simple as they may come. All you need is sign in, pick a server, and hit connect. There all done.
Not only that, but you can access one account over unlimited devices. Go ahead, spread your account among your friends and family so that they too can protect themselves from online threats. You’ll be protected around the clock by secure tunneling protocols such as OpenVPN and IKEv2.
As for streaming, you have more than 800 servers around the world to choose from. Not to mention unlimited bandwidth. Wait, there’s more:
- 800+ servers in 50 countries.
- 24/7 live chat.
- Works in highly censored regions.
- Unblocks US Netflix anywhere.
- No logs policy.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Allows P2P/torrenting.
Watch American Netflix in Canada: Choose Smart DNS
Smart DNS is a relatively new technology. It is a DNS service that redirects the Geolocation aware URLs to the destination countries they should appear to be coming from. See the benefits of Smart DNS below.
- Easy to set up, all that is required is to change your DNS server. It supports all devices, if you set up the DNS codes on your router, you are done. See Video and Picture guides for all devices here.
- The supported devices are Computer PC/Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, Apple TV, Roku, PS4, Xbox, Fire Stick, and many more.
- Get all Netflix regions by simply changing from the Smart DNS provider members area “If supported by your Smart DNS provider”
- You can watch American Netflix, Hulu Plus, BBC Iplayer, ITV, 4oD and Canal Plus all at the same time. You will not be locked to one location. A total of roughly 90 channels will be unblocked.
- Domestic sites keep working.
- The downside is that your traffic will NOT be encrypted and if you are a victim of DNS hijacking or a transparent proxy your only choice is VPN.
- If you wish to stop using SmartDNS you have to reconfigure your devices.
Having said that, Unlocator is a Smart DNS Provider with a free 7-day trial. They do provide support for roughly 200 channels and sport an intensive and robust infrastructure.
Watch American Netflix in Canada
If you use VPN to watch American Netflix in Canada, or if you choose Smart DNS to unlock all Netflix regions including American Netflix in Canada, your input is highly appreciated. Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Best VPN for American Netflix
Description: There aren't many VPN service providers that still work with Netflix. Using ExpressVPN allows you to unblock US, UK, and even Canadian Netflix from anywhere in the world.
Access Geo-Restricted Content