How to Increase PS4’s Downloading Speed
I know the frustration you get when your download speed is down. Luckily, there are ways to improve the download speed of your PS4. Some of the solutions will temporarily boost the download speed, while others offer a permanent improvement. Check them out below.
1. Change DNS Server
Changing your DNS server is one of the most effective ways to increase your download speeds on PS4. Your ISP’s servers are not that reliable since they’re always overloaded. This affects your downloads drastically. However, once you change your DNS settings on PS4, you might get different servers that aren’t packed with users. Here are some free DNS:
- Google DNS: 220.127.116.11 in primary DNS and 18.104.22.168 in Secondary DNS.
- Open DNS: 22.214.171.124 (Primary field); 126.96.36.199 (Secondary field)
2. Avoid Downloading More than One Item at Once
The connection speed here will be divided into two downloading items. Therefore, it might take double the time to finish up with one of them. Set your priorities and download one item first, then go ahead and get the other.
3. Don’t Play Online While Download Is Ongoing
Online gaming consumes a lot. If you’re looking for good download speeds, then you should probably avoid playing online games while you get a certain item.
4. Pause and then Resume Your Download
This is considered as an equivalent for turning your computer off and on again. If the download is taking too much time, then pausing and resuming may increase your download speed.
Follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Downloads tab.
- Select the game you’re currently downloading and tap the X button.
- Select Pause.
- With the download paused, wait for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Select Resume and watch the download speed improve.
5. Make Sure Your Connection Isn’t Overused
If any device is on the same network – be it a PC, Mac, phone, or console, your download speed will slow down. To avoid this issue, try downloading when no one else is around at home.
6. Use an Ethernet Connection
While the PS4 has a competent wireless Internet receiver, plugging your console directly into your router or modem will always increase your Internet connection speed. You’ll need an Ethernet cable to do so.
7. Download in Rest Mode
Rest mode helps to avoid background data usage and performance usage and the console will focus more of its strength on downloading the game. There have been reports that using Rest Mode helped increase the download speed. If you want to try it out, here’s how you do it.
- Go to Settings.
- Head to Power Saving Settings.
- Then to Set Functions available in Rest Mode.
- Now turn on Auto Downloads in system menu from [System] > [Automatic Downloads and Uploads].
8. Update to the Latest Firmware
Have you ever checked if your PS is running on the latest firmware? If not, then you should. Head over to the notification bar while connected of course. If you aren’t prompted to update immediately, scroll down until you see an entry with System Software.