How to setup the ExpressVPN app on Amazon Fire TV or FireStick? Connecting to a VPN server on your FireStick has several benefits. For example, you get to hide your external IP address on Amazon Fire TV. You can also unblock streaming channels and apps that would normally not be available in your region. With all that in mind, we’ve prepared a tutorial about how to install ExpressVPN on FireStick.
How to Install ExpressVPN on FireStick
How to Install ExpressVPN on FireStick – The Requirements
- Amazon Fire TV or FireStick with Alexa Voice Remote (2nd Generation)
- A USB mouse. (Amazon Fire TV)
- A Bluetooth mouse (FireStick)
- An ExpressVPN account.
How to Install ExpressVPN on FireStick – The Guide
First of all, you must mention that the ExpressVPN app was not developed to work on FireStick. It is mainly aimed at Android phones and tablets. That means that the app may appear distorted on your TV screen. A USB mouse is also necessary to navigate through the ExpressVPN app since you won’t be able to use your FireStick remote to do so. If you want a VPN app that works perfectly fine on your FireStick, we suggest either signing up with IPVanish or BulletVPN.
Here’s how you can setup ExpressVPN on Amazon FireStick:
- First, register your ExpressVPN account.
- Now launch your Amazon Fire TV Stick.
- go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘Device’ -> ‘Developer Options.’
- Turn on ‘Allow apps from Unknown Sources’
- From the Amazon Fire Stick main menu, go to ‘Search.’
- Type ‘Downloader’.
- Click on the Downloader app icon to download and install it.
- Launch the Downloader app.
- In the Downloader app main menu, enter the following URL: http://bit.ly/2wTWLma
- Click ‘Go’.
- The ExpressVPN apk installation file will now begin to download.
- Once the ExpressVPN app download process is complete, install it on your Amazon Fire TV.
- Click on ‘Open’ to Launch the ExpressVPN app.
- Sign in and connect to a VPN server of your choice.
- Press the Home button on your Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick remote and keep the ExpressVPN app running in the background.
As already mentioned, you will not be able to use your FireStick remote to navigate through the ExpressVPN app due to compatibility issues. Still, if you use a USB mouse to connect to a VPN server, the VPN app will work as intended.
Can I Install VPN on 1st Generation FireStick?
Unfortunately, VPN apps do not work on first generation Amazon Fire TV. You can actually connect to a VPN server, but once you do so you will lose your Internet connection. This isn’t due to the VPN app itself, but rather due to limitations on the FireStick itself. To get around this issue, you can use one of the following solutions.
- Setup VPN on your router instead. See this guide for more info.
- Sign up with a VPN service provider that offers Smart DNS proxies. Smart DNS does not hide your IP address or encrypt your traffic. However, you can still use Smart DNS to unblock geo-restricted apps like Hulu, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime on FireStick. ExpressVPN, BulletVPN, and Unlocator all offer Smart DNS proxies.
Best FireStick VPN 2017 Review
With the large amount of reliable VPN providers out there, you’d be forgiven for not being able to make up your mind as to which VPN service to choose. We have conducted through research and reviews. Here’s our official list of the best VPN providers you can use for Kodi on Fire Stick in 2017.
How to Install ExpressVPN on FireStick – Wrap Up
Regardless of whether you use Kodi, geoblocked channels like Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, or Hulu on your Amazon Fire TV, VPN is a great way to open up a whole new level of entertainment on your streaming device. Have you tried ExpressVPN or any other VPN on your Amazon FireStick? Share your thoughts and experience below.