A lot of Youtube videos and online blogs advertise DNS codes which can be used to unblock Netflix and other American sites. I have also seen a lot of questions floating around, in those questions users ask about new DNS codes since the ones they have been using are not working anymore. As a seasoned security expert I find this very worrying. In this article I will try to shed some light on the risks associated with such practices.
Online safety is at risk with random DNS proxy codes found online
Smart DNS Proxies, what is that ?
Smart DNS Proxies are an alternate solution to VPN used to unblock American content such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, WWE Network and content from other countries. Examples from other countries would be BBC Iplayer from UK, or Canaplus from France.
Random DNS Proxy codes, the risks ?
Using a Smart DNS proxy service, is not a bad idea. The only problem is that you do NOT know what traffic is being re-routed, so you do have to trust the Smart DNS proxy service. If you randomly find DNS codes online, and then apply those codes to unblock Netflix and the likes you risk the hazards below.
- Your privacy is exposed, do you even know what information is gathered about you, how long it is kept, and for what purposes ?
- Performance issues. If you are using an online random code, chances might be it is overloaded, and DNS queries are slow, which in turn slows down all of your Internet.
- Your personal information is at risk ! Given that you do not know who operates and owns that DNS code. You are at risk of your personal information such as Facebook information, Bank accounts, email accounts, being re-routed and stolen.
- Stability at loss. How much fun is it, if you have to keep running around fetching DNS codes, and your Internet being down on and off all the time.
- No support ! If you have issues with the service, who do you turn to ?
- Free ? Why ? So there is a DNS proxy code online, which is free to use ? Why ? I mean what is in it for the DNS code owner ? Under which jurisdiction is he acting ? And again under what privacy rules ?
Unblocking American US content, the safe way !
Smart DNS proxies are a great,fast and easy way to unblock US content and other geo blocked content on ALL your devices. I personally use Smart DNS, I do use a service called Unlocator, Unlocator operated in beta mode for free for 8 months, and now it is a paid service at USD 4.99 per mo with a 7 days free trial. More importantly, I can vouch that Unlocator does cover the points below.
My advice is to use any Smart DNS proxy service online that suits your needs. Unlocator or otherwise, free or paid. BUT make sure it meets at least the following minimum requirements.
- A company that operates in a reputable jurisdiction. I.e. I am not sure I would want to entrust my traffic to a service running from kookoo land :).
- Great support. See Video and Picture guides for setup here
- A stable infrastructure. In other words, once you use the DNS codes of your provider, your Internet should not become slow or unstable.
- Clearly stated contact information for the DNS provider.
Note that the risks above are valid for regular proxy IPs you randomly find online as well.
DNS Proxy Alternative – VPN
If you are looking for a secure alternative to anonymous proxies and Smart DNS you might want to check out VPN. VPN will NOT work on your Smart TV, Apple TV and other boxes if you do not have VPN router. But a VPN service such as Express VPN does have the following advantages :
- Encrypts your traffic so your ISP cant track or eavesdrop
- ExpressVPN has apps for Android, IOS, MAC and PC which make it a breeze to setup
- Servers in most countries of the world
- Can overcome DNS Hijacking and Transparent Proxies.
- Unblocks ALL content for the VPN server country, not just the supported channels.
- You can only see content from one country at a time.
Here’s a list of the best VPN alternatives for DNS.
DNS Proxy codes, enjoy safely !
These were my two cents, please do stay safe when using the Internet. Protect your identity and your personal information, nobody is going to do it on your behalf. Use VPN if you want encryption or a credible Smart DNS provider for quick access. If you are an IT Admin or a blogger please share this post. Thank you for reading.