BBC iPlayer is home to some of the best local and international TV series and movies. If you’re into British shows like Bodyguard, Luther, Gentlemen Jack, and Killing Eve, then this streaming service is your go-to destination. My recent favorite is Bodyguard. I was hooked once I saw the first episode and I just had to finish the entire season in one sitting. But unfortunately, if you live outside the UK, like India for example, you’ll find access to BBC iPlayer rather difficult. That’s because the channel is geo-blocked outside the United Kingdom. But fret not dear readers. If I managed to stream Bodyguard on BBC iPlayer in India, then so can you. How? Read on to find out.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in India Using a VPN
Have you ever tried to access BBC iPlayer from India? If so, then the following sentence should sound familiar to you:
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.”
This is called a location error message and it pops up on your screen if you happen to live outside the service’s coverage area. You see, BBC iPlayer has broadcasting rights in the UK alone, meaning any attempt to access the channel from abroad will fail, even if you have a UK subscription.
Therefore, you need a tool that can spoof your geographic location and make it appear as if you were inside Merrie England. So say hello to the virtual private network.
Better known as a VPN, this cybersecurity instrument will re-channel your internet connection through a network of secure servers. Then, it conceals your IP address and gives you a new one from the region that you selected. It does so because your IP reveals your online location. So if you have one from the UK, BBC iPlayer will think that you are inside the region.
Simply put, all you have to do is connect to a server from the UK and you’ll be watching your favorite shows in just a few seconds.
Furthermore, VPNs prevent anyone who tries to monitor your online activity by encrypting your traffic. You’ll be able to go about your business in complete privacy.
How to Install a VPN
To successfully access BBC iPlayer in India, you need to install a VPN on your device.
- Register with a trustworthy VPN service like ExpressVPN, an elite brand with a large server network and excellent security features.
- Download and install the app on your iPhone, iPad, PC, Mac, or Android device.
- Open the app and sign in to your account that you just created.
- Connect to a server from the UK and get a British IP address.
- Go to the BBC iPlayer website or open the app. You’ll notice that there are no more geo-error messages.
- Enjoy your favorite programs.
Best VPNs to Unblock BBC iPlayer
BBC iPlayer has been cracking down on virtual private networks for a while now. As a result, only top brands can successfully bypass the geo-blocks imposed by the British streaming service. And take it from me, it’s better that you subscribe to a high-ranked VPN brand anyway, even it costs more. At least you’ll guarantee total security and privacy.
That is why I rounded up the four best VPN services that still work with BBC iPlayer.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
As you see from the table above, ExpressVPN is by far the best provider you get. It’s 100% secure and delivers great services. It has more than 3,000 servers across 94 countries and uses a military-grade encryption protocol called AES 256-bit.
Moreover, the company doesn’t store or log your internet activity, and since it is based in the British Virgin Islands, you don’t have to worry about any government trying to collect your data. But one ExpressVPN’s best features is the 30-day refund program that allows you to get your money back in case you don’t like the service. this means you’ll get plenty of enough time to test the features before you make a commitment.
If you want a top VPN service, I recommend that you go for this one.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in India Using a Smart DNS Proxy
Not a fan of the VPN way? Perhaps you’ll find solace in a Smart DNS proxy service. This tool can also get you access to BBC IPlayer by only rerouting the traffic that exposes your location. It doesn’t make a lot of changes to your connection like VPNs do, so don’t expect it to hide your IP address or encrypt your data.
When it comes to Smart DNS proxies, I also advise you to go for the top brands because not many services can unblock BBC iPlayer. I used Unlocator because it supports over 200 channels, including BBC iPlayer, Channel 4, BT Sport, HBO Go, Hulu and much more. It also allows you to try the service with a free 7-day trial period.
- Go to Unlocator and register. You’ll benefit from a free 7-day trial.
- You’ll need to configure the service manually on your device. Don’t worry, there are plenty of useful videos/setup tutorials to help you.
- You can install the service on any device you want, including Xbox, PS4, Smart TV, iPhone, iPad, Android, PC, and Mac.
- Visit the BBC iPlayer website and enjoy all its content.
Watch BBC iPlayer in India
BBC iPlayer is UK’s premier streaming service, which cannot be accessed in India unless you use a virtual private network or a Smart DNS proxy. Enjoy a wide range of high-quality television and radio shows, plus movies directly from the BBC in India at any time. If you want more information on VPNs, check out the best VPN for BBC iPlayer.
Did you use another VPN or Smart DNS proxy to unblock BBC iPlayer from India? Then share it with us in the comment section below.