How to watch British TV live online outside the United Kingdom? Being an expat living overseas can be quite tough. For one, you spend lots of time away from family and friends. Add to that the fact you cannot catch up with your favorite TV programmes online due to geo-restrictions. Channels like BBC, ITV, Channel 4, My5, NowTV, and Sky Go are all geoblocked in USA, Australia, UAE, Spain, and Canada. That’s why many British expats use geo-spoofing services like VPN and Smart DNS proxies. These methods, as explained in the guide below, will allow you to watch UK TV abroad on your PC, Mac, Android, iOS, Apple TV, FireStick, Roku, PS4, or Xbox.
How to Watch UK TV Abroad Free Live Online
How to Watch UK TV Abroad with VPN
All British channels are geo-restricted overseas. They basically use your IP address to determine your location. Any non-UK IP will be blocked from watching live or on-demand content. This fact, however, can also play in your favor. You can hide your real IP address and appear to be browsing the web by getting a British IP address using a VPN app. It doesn’t matter where you currently reside. Here’s how you can stream UK TV anywhere in the world with the help of VPN.
- First of all, sign up with a VPN service. Stay away from free VPNs like Hola as those can harm your online security and do not work properly in most cases.
- Now that you have created your VPN account, download and install the VPN app from the VPN provider’s website.
- Launch the app and connect to a VPN server in the UK.
- You now appear to be browsing the web using a British IP address.
- This approach allows you to unblock all UK channels anywhere overseas including BBC iPlayer, TVPlayer, Channel 4, Channel 5, and of course ITV Player.
While I do recommend using ExpressVPN to watch UK TV outside UK, mainly due to their 30-day refund guarantee, you can also use other VPN services such as the ones in the table below. The best thing about using VPN to watch UK TV abroad is that you get to stream your favorite TV shows via official British channels in HD.
How to Stream UK TV Overseas Online with Smart DNS Proxies
Smart DNS is another tool you can use to spoof your location online. Unlike VPN, you don’t get a new IP address once you have configured Smart DNS on your streaming device. Your Internet traffic will only be partially redirected. While you get to unblock any British website you want with VPN, the UK channels you get to access abroad with Smart DNS depend on which Smart DNS proxy service you are using. If you do prefer using Smart DNS to watch your favorite British TV channels anywhere in the world, follow these steps.
- First, head over to Unlocator and sign up for a free 7-day trial.
- Afterward, follow these videos/setup tutorial to configure Smart DNS on your streaming device.
- You can now unblock all of the UK channels Unlocator supports unblocking.
You don’t need to use a credit card to sign up with Unlocator. They do support unblocking BBC iPlayer, ITV, Channel 4, TVPlayer, Now TV, and Sky Go.
Best UK TV Channels to Watch Abroad
Using either VPN or Smart DNS proxies allows you to access the following channels regardless of where you currently live.
How to Watch UK TV Abroad Live Free Online
Due to various licensing agreements, it’s highly unlikely that UK TV channels like BBC and ITV will be made available overseas in the near future. This is why it’s essential to use services like ExpressVPN and other top UK VPN providers to get your daily British TV fix. Have you used such services in USA, Canada, Australia, or elsewhere abroad to stream UK TV? Share your experience or questions in the comment section below.