I lost the privilege of accessing the hub of world entertainment, EPIX upon setting foot outside the US. Apparently, some geo-restrictions forbid me from accessing the video-on-demand service. Believing that there must be a way to get past these blockades, I was lucky enough to come across two: VPN or Smart DNS proxies.
The unblocking processes turned out to be easier than I thought. You can read how you can watch EPIX outside the US with either a VPN or Smart DNS in the article below.
How to Watch EPIX outside the USA using VPN
Whenever you try to stream any movie or TV show on Epix overseas, the video won’t play. Instead, you’ll get an error such as ‘Video file cannot be found.‘ That’s because both the EPIX website and app are geo-restricted. Luckily, it’s possible to trick geo-blocked channels into thinking you’re currently in a place where they are available.
There are two ways to do so. The first, and most popular, is VPN. VPN means virtual private network. It’s a tool mainly designed to encrypt your Internet traffic and provide you with extra privacy online. You can employ a VPN to beat regional blocks.
EPIX allows subscribers to watch movies as well as TV shows online on their Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Xbox, PS4, Apple TV, among other devices. Unfortunately for US expats living in Canada, UK, or Australia, EPIX is only available in the United States and its territories. However, with a VPN that can change, just follow the steps below.
- Step number one: Get a VPN. It better be on with many servers in the USA.
- The second step would be to install the VPN application on your device PC, Mac, Android, or iOS device.
- Launch the VPN app.
- Seek and connect to a US VPN server.
- You can browse the Internet as if you are a US local.
To spoof your virtual location and encrypt your data, ExpressVPN is the VPN for the job. The company even follows a 30-day refund policy, so there’s no harm in subscribing to it. Check out some of my favorite VPN service providers of 2019 in the table below.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
Unblock EPIX in Canada or UK – Smart DNS
You can also resort to a Smart DNS to unblock all the content you could ask for. This online technology can get you past restrictions so that you watch your favorite streaming services while abroad. Upon configuration, you do not get a new IP address. Rather, it stays the same.
Only those URLs that determine your geolocation get re-directed through a designated server. Note that setting up the Smart DNS on your streaming device involves altering its network settings. If this sounds too technical for you, you might as well just stick to a VPN.
- Either you directly configure the Smart DNS on your router or set it up on your streaming device.
- When connected to a Smart DNS, your device’s primary and secondary DNS server addresses change.
- A Smart DNS does not make any changes to your IP address; it leaves it exposed.
- You gain access to blocked content at high speeds.
- Smart DNS proxies are highly compatible with all sorts of devices like Xbox, iOS, Android, PC, Smart TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, and Mac.
Here’s an idea: subscribe to Unlocator and unblock more than 220 geo-restricted channels across the globe. You can follow the videos, screenshots, and DNS setup guides to configure your Smart DNS on your device. Also, you can benefit from a free 7-day trial – needless of a credit card – to check the service out.
EPIX Compatible Streaming Devices
You can install the EPIX app on the platforms below:
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire Tablets/ TV
- PlayStation 4
- Android TVs
- Xbox One
EPIX Anywhere in the World – Wrap Up
While EPIX isn’t as popular as other streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video, it still has a lot to offer. Some of the videos on EPIX cannot be found anywhere else. There are some episodes and movies that you can watch for free, but the vast majority of content requires you to sign in using an American cable subscription.
If you ever consider streaming EPIX abroad, consider one the tools above, and let me know which one you would pick in the comments.