Hulu is a premium service that allows you to access the latest US TV shows and movies like The Handmaid’s Tale, Harlots, and Minding the Gap. But to do so, you obviously have to reside in the USA because the channel is geo-blocked outside the land of the free and the home of the brave. This means that if you’re an American expat or tourist in Russia, or just a Hulu fan living abroad, you’re going to miss out on your favorite shows. However, I managed to avoid that by getting a VPN service during my stay in Russia. It really helped keep track of Castle Rock and I never missed an episode. And you can also unblock Hulu in Russia with a Smart DNS proxy. Just keep reading to know more.
How to Watch Hulu in Russia
How to Watch Hulu in Russia Using a VPN
Forget cable! With Hulu, you get to catch up with the latest TV shows and most popular movies whenever you desire. Now, we all know that Hulu is an American based channel, and it’s inaccessible overseas. However, this is an adjustable case with a virtual private network (VPN).
A VPN has a network of private servers through which you can reroute your internet connection. These servers are spread out in locations all over the world. All you have to do is select a region or country (in this case, the US) and connect to a server from that location. This process allows your traffic to go through that server and gives you a new IP address from the region that you selected.
As a result, you’ll appear as if you were browsing the internet from the United States, and Hulu will think that you are inside its coverage area. This means that you’ll be able to access the channel’s content.
To put it more simply, follow the below steps to watch Hulu in Russia:
- You need to find a VPN service that works perfectly fine in Russia. I used ExpressVPN and I recommend you do too. It works like a charm.
- Next, download and install the app from your app store or the VPN’s website.
- Once complete, open the app and connect to a server from the USA.
- Wait till the connection is established then head over to Hulu. You’ll notice that there isn’t a geo-error message anymore.
- This means that you’re free to watch any show you’d like on Hulu or any other US-restricted streaming channel while you’re in Russia.
Best VPNs to Stream Hulu Abroad
Not many VPN services can guarantee total online privacy when you’re in Russia. Several providers may store your data and hand it over to the government upon request. Therefore, you must subscribe to a trustworthy and reliable VPN that ensures security and anonymity, in addition to speedy servers and unlimited internet access.
That is why I recommend ExpressVPN. This service helped me unblock Hulu when I was stationed in Moscow, and I managed to keep track of all of my favorite shows.
The company has more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, which means you’ll have endless possibilities in bypassing geo-restricted content. Furthermore, its servers are speed-optimized, which makes it the ideal choice for streaming fans. As for privacy, the company doesn’t keep any data about your online activity. In fact, it encrypts your traffic with a military-grade protocol (AES 256-bit). Also, it offers a 30-day refund guarantee, which gives you the chance to take its services out for a spin before you make a final decision.
But in case you’re not impressed with ExpressVPN, you can check out the other top-recommended VPNs for Hulu, or simply choose one of the below alternatives.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
How to Watch Hulu in Russia Using a Smart DNS
Honestly, I used ExpressVPN to stream Hulu in Russia. However, I have previously tried a Smart DNS proxy service called Unlocator to unblock BBC iPlayer in Russia and to great success too. This means that this provider can surely give you access to Hulu while you’re in the country.
These tools can also bypass geo-blocks, but only by rerouting the location part of your internet instead of the whole thing. Furthermore, they don’t hide your IP address nor encrypt your traffic. I picked Unlocator because it has a list of over 200 supported channels, including Hulu, BBC iPlayer, ITV, Showtime, HBO Go, BT Sport, and more. Moreover, it offers a free 7-day trial period.
To subscribe to it, all you have to do is:
- Go to the Unlocator website and create an account.
- To set it up on your device, you’ll need to manually configure it because Smart DNS proxies don’t have dedicated apps.
- The process is quite simple, but should you face any difficulties, you’ll have plenty of guides and tutorials to help you.
- Visit Hulu and let the binge-watching marathon begin.
Must-see shows on Hulu
You can stream some of the latest and most popular TV shows on Hulu, including some critically acclaimed originals.
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- Castle Rock
- Marvel’s Runaways
- The First
- The Looming Tower
- The Act
- Safe Harbour
Watch Hulu in Russia
Hulu is a great choice for a streaming service, especially if you’re seeking a wide selection of TV shows. There are various services that you can use to get Hulu in Russia, like ExpressVPN or Unlocator. Once you use these services you can then sign up for Hulu. So, what is it going to be? A VPN or Smart DNS? Let us know in the comment section below.