You’re here because you’re probably wondering how you can watch ORF -the Austrian national public service broadcaster of Austria- abroad. Well, you’ve come to the right place. Before we tell you how you can get ORF in the US, the UK, Canada or Australia, you are probably familiar with the error message that pops up on your screen when attempting to access ORF from abroad. There’s a way around this discouraging message, and it involves a VPN. A virtual private network is a powerful technology that can bypass all kinds of restrictions and get content unblocked by routing users’ traffic through a private tunnel. Keep on reading to learn how you can watch ORF outside Austria using a VPN on any PC, Mac, Android, iPhone or iPad.
How to watch ORF outside Austria
Watch ORF Outside Austria Using a VPN
ORF is the dominant player in the Austrian broadcast media and its channels are broadcast terrestrially and via the SES Astra 1H satellite. ORF eins broadcasts TV series and films, whereas ORF 2 has its focus on cultural programming. The newest sports channel is ORF Sport Plus, but ORF eins still covers the most important sports events. If Austrian expats make use of a VPN, they’d be able to watch any of these channels offered by ORF. A VPN works by creating a digital tunnel through which your device accesses the Internet. It also reroutes your connection through a designated server in the country of your choice, which will enable you to access that country’s content. Here’s how you watch ORF outside Austria using a VPN:
- Sign up with a VPN provider.
- Download and install the VPN application on your PC, Mac, Android, iOS device.
- Launch the VPN application and sign in using your VPN account.
- Now, connect to a server in Austria.
- Finally, visit ORF and its channels.
- Enjoy a wide range of great TV series and sports programming.
Want to know which VPN works well with geo-restrictions? ExpressVPN! This service provider has a long history with successfully unblocking content and bypassing geo restrictions. ExpressVPN is one of the best-performing services in the market and has received praise on many occasions. For more information on other service providers, check out the table below.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- 7-day free trial
- User-friendly application
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
ORF programming is intended for a mainstream audience and unlike the German TV stations (which are available free-to-air), ORF eins and ORF 2 require satellite subscription. Either way, each one of ORF’s channels is inaccessible outside Austria. A VPN, however, allows you to watch all of them even if you were halfway across the world. If you thought that’s all a VPN could do, then you thought wrong. A VPN can do a lot more than you think, and here are some of its many benefits:
- Browse the web anonymously.
- Prevent third parties from accessing your data.
- Get Internet freedom.
- Bypass any content filters, bans or blacklisting.
- Hide your activity from your Internet Service Provider.
- Protect your data from government surveillance.
- Access geo-restricted sites and content.
- Hide your geographical location.
ORF Television Channels
- ORF eins
- ORF 2 (with regional programmes)
- ORF 2 Europe
- ORF III
- ORF Sport + (formerly ORF Sport Plus)
- 3sat (in association with ARD, ZDF, and SF)
Watch ORF Outside Austria
Even though you are somewhere outside Austria, make sure that you can still watch Atv, 3 Sat, Go TV, and all of the Austrian channels that come to your mind. Signing up for a VPN can get you all the channels from ORF to LT1 no matter where you are located. It’s actually easier done than said. Austrian expats would surely be pleased to hear about this hack as would any expat missing home. What service provider would you choose to unblock and watch channels outside their country of origin? Let us know your thoughts and suggestions in the comment section below.