Is it possible to watch Amazon Prime Video on Chromecast using your iPhone, iPad, Android, PC, or Mac? Streaming services have been gaining popularity worldwide. The wide range of TV shows, movies, documentaries, and the freedom to watch them anytime and anywhere have got people hooked to services like Netflix and Amazon Prime.
How to Watch Amazon Prime Video on Chromecast
Of course, they aren’t free, and require a little technical know-how to get started, but that hasn’t stopped people – particularly the young generation – from streaming their favorite shows on their PCs or mobile devices and enjoying them on the go.
Is It Possible to Watch Amazon Prime Video on Chromecast?
If you own a Google Chromecast, you have probably seen that you aren’t able to stream Amazon Prime videos on it.
The reason? Amazon itself says that Android and Chromecast are incompatible with Amazon Prime and Instant Video services. This is bad news for Prime subscribers who want to stream shows on Chromecast. Most of them assume that they need to buy Amazon’s Fire TV or Fire TV Stick to be able to watch Instant and Prime Videos. But there is a way out.
Advantages of Amazon Prime
Prime not only gives access to music, movies, and TV shows, but also to discounts and free shipping. Prime subscribers get access to a variety of deals and discounts on Amazon products and services. Prime Video has exclusive TV shows (House of Cards, The Wire, Gold Rush, all incredible), movies (Sicario, Transformers, Star Trek Beyond, Fast 8, Horrible Bosses, and so on), and documentaries that you cannot watch anywhere else. If $99 seems too expensive, you can go for the monthly plan at $10 per month.
What is Google Chromecast?
Google’s Chromecast is a small device that you can plug into your television’s HDMI port, with the help of the USB cable that comes with the device. Since ordinary TVs don’t have HDMI ports, you will need a Smart TV to be able to use Chromecast. You will also need a smartphone or a computer which is also connected to the same WiFi network as the Chromecast. As of now, Chromecast can be used to access YouTube, Google Play, Netflix, and Hulu, but not Amazon Prime.
How to Watch Amazon Prime videos on Chromecast?
The good news is you don’t need any extra devices to stream Amazon Prime if you already have an Android TV or Chromecast device, or simply a PC with a Chrome browser. By following a few simple steps you get to stream your favorite Prime shows on device at no extra cost. Here’s how to do it:
- Requirements: You will need a Chromecast device, and connect it to your PC or laptop that’s connected to the same network and using Google’s Chrome browser. This article assumes you already have a Prime membership because without that it isn’t possible to access Prime videos.
- From your Chrome browser go to your Amazon Prime account on Amazon.com. After clicking on the Prime drop down arrow, select Watch.
- The video you choose will automatically start playing unless you have a playlist. Pause the video while we get it connected to the Chromecast device.
- In your Chrome browser, find the Chromecast icon in the upper right hand corner. After clicking on it, select your Chromecast device from the list. From the Cast to drop down menu select Cast Tab.
- The video will start playing on the screen you chose for your Chromecast device.
- The Cast tab has a number of options that you can use to set your viewing preferences. First off, you get three video qualities to choose from: Standard (480p), High (720p), or Extreme Quality (this is also 720p, but has a higher bitrate). To access settings, you have to click on the Cast button, and then click the ‘settings’ button (that looks like a gear). You can not only change streaming quality, but also mute and unmute the sound with the help of the volume button. Since there is no option in the Cast tab to adjust the volume level, you have to use your TV remote for that.
Since Chromecast works for almost all steaming sites, you can stream any kind of videos with it, irrespective of format or quality. To end the session, simply close your browser window, or select Stop Casting from the Cast button.
Disadvantages of Streaming Prime Videos on Chromescast
Browser casting is not the ideal option when streaming videos. Unlike the dedicated app, which allows you to stream videos at 1080p, you are stuck at 720p at the most when you cast with your browser. If you’re used to watching high-quality videos, the low quality, pixelation, poor audio, and signal dropouts can be annoying.
Besides, you have to keep your PC or phone connected all through the session, draining the battery. If you charge the battery while the session is going on, there’s a chance of overheating for your devices. All of these might make streaming Amazon Prime videos on Chromecast a less than perfect solution.
Best VPN for Amazon Prime Video
Similarly to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video offers subscribers different movies and TV shows depending on the region the users currently reside in. The American Amazon Instant Video version is by far the best due to the extensive library of video content available to stream. If you currently reside outside the USA, you can use VPN to unblock American Amazon Prime. Here are the best VPN service providers you can use to access geoblocked content from abroad.
Will Amazon Prime Be Officially Supported on Chromecast in the Future?
Amazon does not intend to make Prime videos available on Android or Chromecast devices anytime soon. Therefore, in the absence of compatible devices like a Blu-Ray player, Fire TV, or a smart TV, streaming Prime videos on Chromecast is your only hope.