How to watch American Netflix on Chromecast outside US – VPN or DNS Proxy
Thankfully, there are not one but two easy ways to bypass regional restrictions. These allow you to change your Netflix region and watch USA Netflix on your Chromecast in Canada, Germany, UK, Australia, France, Dubai, Russia, or anywhere you might live.
Important Notice: As of May 20th, 2019, I have tested ExpressVPN and can confirm that it still works. If you are receiving the following Netflix proxy error (netflix.com/proxy). “You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.” use ExpressVPN to unblock US Netflix again.
How to unblock and watch USA Netflix on Chromecast through VPN
A virtual private network, better known as VPN, gives you the ability to alter your public IP address and subsequently unlock content that would usually be unavailable in your region. Thus, if you set up a VPN, you will be able to watch American Netflix via Chromecast outside the USA because VPN does spoof your online location. VPN does much more than that :
- It enables you to surf the web anonymously by hiding your IP address.
- By encrypting your internet traffic, VPN protects you from hackers and spies.
- VPN grants you access to geoblocked content and channels such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Now TV, and more. However, you can access channels of only one region at once. If you wish to watch geo-blocked content from another region you need to re-configure your VPN IP.
- VPN works without problems even if your ISP uses DNS hijacking or Transparent proxies.
- You do need a VPN-enabled router to make this work, as Chromecast does not natively support VPN.
Below is a list of VPN providers, tested and assessed based on speed, reliability and support quality.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
How to Get American Netflix on Chromecast outside USA
- First, sign up with a VPN provider.
- Then, download and install the VPN application to your PC, Mac, Android, iOS device.
- Launch the VPN application and sign in using your VPN account.
- Now, connect to an American VPN server.
- Finally, go to the Netflix website or launch the Netflix application.
- Watch American Netflix outside USA on Chromecast.
ExpressVPN also provide their users with Smart DNS proxies that work on PS3, PS4, Xbox, FireTV, Roku, Smart TV, and routers. These devices do not have VPN clients. Therefore, you cannot install VPN directly on them. A Smart DNS proxy enables you to fix that issue.
Watch U.S. Netflix on Chromecast via Smart DNS Proxies
Smart DNS also enables you to unblock restricted channels such as U.S. Netflix on your Chromecast. The main difference between Smart DNS and VPN is that the former only redirects parts of your connection and doesn’t slow down internet speed as opposed to the latter. Smart DNS main advantages are:
- The ability to effortlessly switch between different regions thus bypassing multiple locations restrictions at once. This means you do not have to set up your device again in order to change your Netflix region.
- It maintains your internet speed which is crucial if you’re planning on streaming Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Now TV, and so on.
- Your local IP address doesn’t change so you can still access all your local websites as usual.
- Unlocator has various videos and tutorials which will guide you through the whole Smart DNS installation. Unlocator also offers around 220 unblocked streaming sites.
Sometimes ISPs implement dubious policies like Transparent proxies and DNS hijacking. As a result, Smart DNS won’t work in such cases and you have to revert back to VPN.
List of American Channels You Can Unblock on Chromecast
This is a list of the most popular application that Chromecast supports, the solutions listed below “VPN and Smart DNS Proxies” unblock all of these.
- HBO GO
- Google Play Movies & TV
- BBC iPlayer
- BT Sport
- Hulu Plus
- Red Bull TV
- WWE Network
VPN and Smart DNS allow you to unblock restricted channels such as Netflix, Hulu, Fox Soccer 2Go, Vudu, Amazon Instant Video, and more on various devices including Chromecast. Below you will find out more about VPN and Smart DNS and their benefits.
American Netflix on Chromecast unblocked
The VPN and Smart DNS methods above are proven to work. If you have comments or questions please submit those below.
Those 2 ip from google are no (longer?) sufficient to fool netflix when casting. As any vpn works only from a smart phone or laptop, casting is a pain, it seems that they keep fighting against it. The list of ip is at 8 different ip’s now; Once you block them by pointing the route to some non existing internl ip, you Also need an account with something like Unlocator in order to fool the Cast. With that account you can use their dns server which will forward non vpn’d request from cast to the dns server in the location of your choice, you set that on the web site.
They also set the netflix (or Disney) region optionally. The thing is : how long will it be before netflix or google comes up with one more ip or trick and this doens’t work any more? It alteady happened in 2015, history repeata jtself. So For me I think I will stick to only vpn and do screenmirrorjng using chrome from my mac. Trat works without unlocator; problem is that I always need my laptop when watching on big screen and audio comes from the mac book not the tv. But hey, it’s not like I watch geoblocked stuff every day.
What is not clear is why only some streaming sites/apps like netflix seem to have a problem when casting from an iphone or Mac with vpn only on phone/mac.
I can keep
Casting content from raiplay.it using momocast and vpn but can’t cast using the netflix cast button. I get that data flow goes to chromecast from non vpn internet But then why momocast app browser can solve that? There must be something else. Unfortunately Netflix page on momocast Doesn’t show movie play button as Netflix knows
It’s A Mobile device and doesn’t load the option, else Perhaps it would work.
I live in Australia and I have installed Chromecast, Netflix and Express VPN on both my android phone and windows laptop but I cant cast Netflix to my TV using either device. On my phone the chromecast icon goes blank or clear and on my laptop the icon changes colour to orange and I get an error message saying unable to cast. On my TV I only get the photos. Express works because I can watch geoblocked content on my phone or laptop but cant cast it. In your article you mentioned a VPN enabled router. What specifically is it? Should I buy one and which one is best? Thanks very much for your informative article.