is basically a little device that turns your HDTV into a Smart TV. In this help guide, I will show you how to enable and unblock American Netflix on your Chromecast if you live outside the USA or are an expat abroad, or studying overseas
provides different libraries in different regions. In some regions, Netflix is not supported at all. American Netflix, which contains the most comprehensive library of all, is exclusively available in the USA. This means you won’t be able to watch U.S. Netflix outside the USA.
Thankfully, there are not one but two easy ways to bypass regional restrictions. These allow you to change your Netflix region and watch USA Netflix on your Chromecast in Canada, Germany, UK, Australia, France, Dubai, Russia, or anywhere you might live.
Watch American Netflix on Chromecast outside the USA
Important Notice: As of May 20th, 2019, I have tested ExpressVPN and can confirm that it still works. If you are receiving the following Netflix proxy error (netflix.com/proxy). “You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.” use ExpressVPN to unblock US Netflix again.
How to unblock and watch USA Netflix on Chromecast through VPN
A virtual private network, better known as VPN, gives you the ability to alter your public IP address and subsequently unlock content that would usually be unavailable in your region. Thus, if you set up a VPN, you will be able to watch American Netflix via Chromecast outside the USA because VPN does spoof your online location. VPN does much more than that :
- It enables you to surf the web anonymously by hiding your IP address.
- By encrypting your internet traffic, VPN protects you from hackers and spies.
- VPN grants you access to geoblocked content and channels such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Now TV, and more. However, you can access channels of only one region at once. If you wish to watch geo-blocked content from another region you need to re-configure your VPN IP.
- VPN works without problems even if your ISP uses DNS hijacking or Transparent proxies.
- You do need a VPN-enabled router to make this work, as Chromecast does not natively support VPN.
Below is a list of VPN providers, tested and assessed based on speed, reliability and support quality.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- 72% discount on annual plan
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
How to Get American Netflix on Chromecast outside USA
- First, sign up with a VPN provider.
- Then, download and install the VPN application to your PC, Mac, Android, iOS device.
- Launch the VPN application and sign in using your VPN account.
- Now, connect to an American VPN server.
- Finally, go to the Netflix website or launch the Netflix application.
- Watch American Netflix outside USA on Chromecast.
ExpressVPN also provide their users with Smart DNS proxies that work on PS3, PS4, Xbox, FireTV, Roku, Smart TV, and routers. These devices do not have VPN clients. Therefore, you cannot install VPN directly on them. A Smart DNS proxy enables you to fix that issue.
Watch U.S. Netflix on Chromecast via Smart DNS Proxies
Smart DNS also enables you to unblock restricted channels such as U.S. Netflix on your Chromecast. The main difference between Smart DNS and VPN is that the former only redirects parts of your connection and doesn’t slow down internet speed as opposed to the latter. Smart DNS main advantages are:
- The ability to effortlessly switch between different regions thus bypassing multiple locations restrictions at once. This means you do not have to set up your device again in order to change your Netflix region.
- It maintains your internet speed which is crucial if you’re planning on streaming Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Now TV, and so on.
- Your local IP address doesn’t change so you can still access all your local websites as usual.
- Unlocator has various videos and tutorials which will guide you through the whole Smart DNS installation. Unlocator also offers around 220 unblocked streaming sites.
Sometimes ISPs implement dubious policies like Transparent proxies and DNS hijacking. As a result, Smart DNS won’t work in such cases and you have to revert back to VPN.
List of American Channels You Can Unblock on Chromecast
This is a list of the most popular application that Chromecast supports, the solutions listed below “VPN and Smart DNS Proxies” unblock all of these.
- HBO GO
- Google Play Movies & TV
- BBC iPlayer
- BT Sport
- Hulu Plus
- Red Bull TV
- WWE Network
VPN and Smart DNS allow you to unblock restricted channels such as Netflix, Hulu, Fox Soccer 2Go, Vudu, Amazon Instant Video, and more on various devices including Chromecast. Below you will find out more about VPN and Smart DNS and their benefits.
American Netflix on Chromecast unblocked
The VPN and Smart DNS methods above are proven to work. If you have comments or questions please submit those below.