How to watch Indian movies, TV shows, and live channels abroad? There is no shortage of streaming services in India. Channels like Hotstar, Jio TV, Star Sports, Ozee TV, and Sony Liv cover everything from Bollywood productions to sports, politics, and dramas. Unfortunately for the many Indian expats living in Australia, UK, USA, Europe, and the Middle East, all of these channels are geo-restricted. In the tutorial below, we take a look at how using VPN or Smart DNS proxies allows you to bypass regional restrictions.
How to Watch Indian TV Abroad?
What Are Geo-Restrictions and Location Errors?
In case you have ever tried to watch Hotstar in the USA or United Kingdom, you’ve probably come across the following geo-error: “Content Unavailable. The content currently unavailable in your region.”
Other Indian channels will throw up similar notifications when you try to stream live or on-demand content on them abroad. To bypass these geographic restrictions, you have to use VPN or Smart DNS Proxies.
How to Watch Indian TV outside India with VPN?
The best way to unblock geoblocked streaming channels is using VPN. VPN stands for virtual private network. It basically is an online tool aimed at keeping all your private data safe. By connecting to a VPN server, you can encrypt all of your Internet traffic. Thus, keeping it away from potentially prying eyes. But that’s not the only benefit you get out of using VPN.
- Unblock Geoblocked Channels: There are many streaming services that can only be accessed from certain countries. With VPN you can bypass regional restrictions.
- Bypass ISP Throttling: Ever noticed that your Internet speed is decent if you are browsing websites but suddenly drops when you are watching videos online? If that is the case, your ISP is probably throttling your Internet speed. Using VPN basically allows you to avoid that from happening.
- Ultimate Privacy: Add an extra layer of privacy and security to all your online activities.
- VPN Applications: You don’t have to be a tech-freak to set up a VPN connection thanks to user-friendly VPN apps on PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and FireStick.
In terms of best VPN service you can use to unblock Indian channels overseas, ExpressVPN is hands-down the best. They have multiple VPN servers located in India. Not to mention the fact they offer a 30-day refund policy. So you can try them out safe in the knowledge that you’re not taking any risks. Here are our best VPN service providers for India.
Last updated on September 24th, 2018
Best Indian Streaming Channels
- Indian Amazon Prime Video
- Netflix India
- Ozee TV
- Sony Liv
- Star Sports
- Jio TV
How to Watch Indian TV outside India – Wrap Up
Thanks to virtual private networks, you no longer have to miss your favorite Indian channels, TV shows, and Bollywood movies while living abroad. Simply sign up with a VPN service, download their VPN app, and connect to a VPN server in India. That’s practically all there is to do it.