How to unblock and watch Youku outside China using VPN? Youku (优酷;優酷) is geoblocked outside China due to government imposed geo-restrictions. To access Youku in US, UK, France, Australia, or Canada you need to get a Chinese IP address. You can change your IP address using VPN. VPN enables you to bypass regional restrictions and unblock geoblocked content.
Youku Outside China – Unblock with VPN
If you try to stream any video on Youku abroad, you will get the following message. “Sorry, this video can only be streaming within Mainland China”. Using VPN, you can bypass that geo-error. VPN stands for virtual private network. Connecting to a secure VPN server encrypts your traffic and protects your privacy online. The same process also allows you to change your IP address. To get a Chinese IP address you need to connect to a VPN server based in China. Once this is done, you will be able to watch Youku and other Chinese channels outside China.
- VPN apps can be installed on Android, PC, Mac, iPhone, or iPad.
- VPN data encryption means nobody can eavesdrop on what you are doing online.
- Once connected to a Chinese VPN server, all your traffic will appear to be coming from China.
- Using VPN will decrease your Internet speed by about 15%.
- VPN can also be used to unblock other Chinese TV channels online. Watch PPTV, Tudou, Sohu, and other blocked streaming sites outside China.
- VPN can also be used to unblock geoblocked channels from other regions. Watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Showtime, HBO Go, BBC iPlayer, or Sky Go.
Not all VPN providers have servers in China. I usually use ExpressVPN to unblock geoblocked content. The three VPN providers listed below are all able to unblock Youku outside China.
Top 10 Chinese Streaming Sites
- 360 TV
- QQ TV
- Sohu TV
Unblock Youku Outside China – VPN Proxy