This is the ultimate MLB.TV blackout workaround in 2019. What is the best VPN you can use to bypass MLB blackout restrictions we hear you say? With the 2019 Major League Baseball just around the corner, it is time for MLB streaming to take center stage. Unfortunately, due to the age-old blackout policies, I will not be able to stream your favorite baseball franchise live online, even though I own a premium MLB subscription. These policies are pretty unfair. Luckily, I learned how I can spoof my online location and trick the MLB at Bat app into thinking I am located somewhere else. In the review below, I will introduce you to the VPNs that worked the best when I used them to watch MLB games without blackouts. Take a look at my best MLB.TV VPN review to avoid blackouts on PC, FireStick, Roku, Apple TV, PS4, Xbox One, Chromecast, iPhone, or iPad for the 2019 season.
Best MLB.TV VPN 2019 Review
Avoid MLB.TV Blackouts – The Basics
If you are unfamiliar with the process of bypassing blackouts using VPN, here are some pointers.
- You do not need to sign up for a different premium MLB account. Your existing account is enough.
- You cannot bypass MLB.tv blackouts on devices that use location services and GPS. In other words, even if you are using proxies or a virtual private network, you cannot get around baseball blackout restrictions on Android, iPhone, iPad, or Amazon Fire TV.
- In some cases, you might need to delete your browser’s cookies after setting up VPN or Smart DNS proxies.
- While there are free VPNs that could potentially allow you to watch MLB live online, I would never recommend using them. They are notoriously slow which leads to endless buffering. Some free VPNs are also known to infect users devices with malicious malware or viruses. Use a trusted and tried VPN service only.
- Generally speaking, it is better to connect to a VPN server located in the USA as opposed to a VPN located abroad. This mainly due to the fact that the closer the VPN server is to your location, the less your Internet speed will be affected.
How Do I Know If an MLB Game is Blacked Out?
You can enter your ZIP code on the official MLB.tv website to check whether a certain game is blacked out in your region or not. If you receive any of the following MLB blackout errors, you will not be able to stream the game live online. Unless you use VPN that is.
“We’re sorry. We have determined that you are located inside one of the applicable Club’s home television territories and are therefore blacked out of watching the game you selected. Live Audio of this game is available as part of your MLB.TV subscription.”
“Media Error. This game is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few moments.”
“We’re sorry. The broadcasters’ required blackout checks cannot be performed at this time. Please try again in a few moments.”
How to use VPN to Bypass MLB.tv Blackout Restrictions
Your IP address allows MLB to determine where you currently reside. That’s because IP addresses allow apps and websites you visit to see where you are browsing the web from. This also means that if you get to change your IP address, you can trick MLB.tv into thinking you are in an area where the game you want to stream isn’t blacked out. A VPN or virtual private network will help you avoid all those annoying blackouts. By connecting to a VPN server in a different state, you can hide your real IP address and bypass MLB.tv blackouts. Here’s how to I have set it all up.
How to Bypass MLB.tv Blackouts on PC/Mac
- As a first step, you need to sign up with a VPN service. Make sure that whichever VPN you end up signing up with has numerous VPN servers in the United States.
- Download the VPN application on your Mac or Windows PC after you create your VPN account.
- Now open the VPN application, sign in, and choose a VPN server that is located in a state where there are no blackouts.
- Finally go over to the MLB.tv website and watch baseball games black-out free.
Is It Possible to Watch Blackout Games on iOS (iPhone/iPad)?
Due to the fact the MLB at Bat app on iPhone and iPad devices use location services, you will not be able to bypass MLB blackout restrictions on either of these platforms. If you do turn off location services, the MLB at Bat will not function.
Can I Bypass MLB.TV Blackouts on Android?
As is the case with iOS devices, the MLB.tv app on Android-based phones and tablets uses a combination of location services and GPS to determine your current location. Thus, you cannot bypass MLB blackout restrictions on Android, even when using VPN.
How to Avoid MLB Blackouts on Amazon Fire TV or FireStick?
The Amazon Fire TV operating system is based on Android. Therefore, you cannot get around blackouts on this device either.
How to Bypass MLB Blackouts on Apple TV?
In order to watch blacked out MLB games on Apple TV, you either have to setup VPN on your router or subscribe to a VPN provider that offers users Smart DNS proxies that can be directly set up on the Apple TV such as ExpressVPN.
How to Avoid MLB Blackout Restrictions on Roku
None of the Roku devices allows you to configure its network settings. The only way to get around MLB blackouts on Roku is by changing your router’s settings. You can either purchase a VPN-enabled router and configure a VPN connection on it or sign up with ExpressVPN and use their DNS codes on your router instead.
Bypass MLB Blackouts on Smart TV
Unless you are using an Android Smart TV, you should be able to set up Smart DNS directly on your Smart TV. Supported models include Samsung, LG, Panasonic, and older Sony Smart TVs. Sign up with either ExpressVPN or Unlocator to watch blacked out games on your Smart TV.
How to Avoid MLB.TV Blackout Restrictions on PlayStation
As with most other MLB.tv compatible streaming devices, neither the PS4 or PS4 have a VPN client. That means you either have to setup VPN on a VPN-ready router or use Smart DNS directly on the PlayStation console. The second option is both cheaper and easier.
Bypass MLB Blackouts on Xbox One or Xbox 360
In case you do not own a VPN-compatible router, your best option is to sign up with ExpressVPN or any other VPN service that provides DNS codes that can be directly set up on the Xbox console to bypass MLB.tv blackouts.
Best MLB.TV VPN 2019
Last Updated Today
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
ExpressVPN – Top MLB VPN 2019
ExpressVPN – Best MLB VPN for 2019
I have been using ExpressVPN to get around MLB blackout restrictions for several seasons now. Never have I run into any major issues. There were a few instances where I did have minor problems, but ExpressVPN’s live chat support team were able to quickly resolve matters. In short, this probably is the best VPN you can use for MLB.tv.
- Global Network of VPN servers.
- Multiple VPN servers across the United States and Canada
- Smart DNS proxies for Smart TV, PS4, PS3, Xbox, Apple TV, and Roku.
- Zero network traffic logging.
- Subscribing to a quality VPN provider doesn’t come cheaply.
BulletVPN – Best MLB.TV VPN 2019
BulletVPN is another VPN service you should consider if you want to avoid getting that irritating blackout error. While BulletVPN doesn’t have many servers across the globe, they do have around a dozen in the USA alone. All of these servers worked properly when I tested them in order to watch various MLB teams live online.
- You can reclaim your money within a month.
- User-friendly applications for all your devices.
- Great customer support.
IPVanish – Best MLB VPN 2019
IPVanish are a household name in the VPN industry. They are based in the USA which might spook a few VPN servers. Still, they do have a strict no logging policy which means you should, in theory, be able to surf the Internet anonymously. As is the case with ExpressVPN, IPVanish have many servers scattered around the USA. However, they only offer a 7-day refund policy.
- Countless VPN locations in the USA.
- Featured-packed VPN applications.
- Very fast servers.
- You can only use their product for a week before the refund period runs out.
- Doesn’t unblock many major VOD services.
NordVPN – Best MLB.tv VPN in 2019
NordVPN’s VPN applications for iPhone, iPad, Android, PC, and Mac are possibly the easiest and most friendly I have used. Setting them up takes a couple of minutes. From there on in, you simply launch the app and connect to a VPN server of your choice. It’s safe to say that a lot of effort went into creating these apps. Like ExpressVPN, NordVPN offers a 30-day refund period, more than enough time to fully test their VPN server.
- 30-day refund period.
- Great VPN apps.
- VPN servers in over 60 countries.
- Double VPN.
- While most VPN servers we’ve tried were impressively fast, a couple were relatively slow.
VyprVPN is another solid VPN provider you can use to get around MLB blackouts. Their servers work impressively well. However, they do not offer as many American VPN locations as other providers on this list.
- Very fast VPN servers.
- VPN servers in 36 countries.
Best MLB.TV VPN in 2019 – Smart DNS Proxy Alternative
While using VPN is the best method to get around MLB.tv blackouts, it certainly is not the only one. Smart DNS proxies also allow you to watch MLB games without blackouts. The downside, however, is that Smart DNS doesn’t completely mask your IP address. You are therefore still exposed when browsing the web using Smart DNS proxies.
- Almost all streaming device can be configured with Smart DNS. You can set proxies up directly on an Apple TV, PS4, Xbox One, and even your Smart TV.
- You will not lose access to any of your local streaming channels after you configure Smart DNS on your device.
- You can use this method to get around MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL blackout restrictions.
- There is no way to choose a virtual location when using Smart DNS. The channel and sites you can unblock depend on your Smart DNS proxy service’s setup.
Unlocator are the best when it comes to Smart DNS proxy service. Many MLB fans use them on a yearly basis to watch MLB without any blackouts. Recently, Unlocator have added a VPN application to their subscription plans. You do have to pay extra in case you want to take advantage of it though.
Here’s the complete list of every Major League baseball team:
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Chicago Cubs
- Cincinnati Reds
- Milwaukee Brewers
- Pittsburgh Pirates
- St. Louis Cardinals
- Atlanta Braves
- Miami Marlins
- New York Mets
- Philadelphia Phillies
- Washington Nationals
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- Colorado Rockies
- Los Angeles Dodgers
- San Diego Padres
- San Francisco Giants
Best MLB.TV VPN for 2019 – The Wrap Up
We all long for a day when MLB blackout restrictions become a thing of a past. Until then, using VPN providers like ExpressVPN to watch MLB game without blackouts will do. Have you tested any of the VPN services we have suggested? How was your experience? Feel free to share your thoughts below.
Best VPN for MLB
Description: Avoiding MLB blackout restrictions can be quite a hassle unless you sign up with a proper VPN. Watch any MLB game you want, anywhere you want with ExpressVPN.
Bypass MLB Blackouts