How to Watch SBS on Demand Anywhere – Unblock Outside Australia
How to Watch SBS on Demand Outside Australia? SBS On Demand is a free Australian video-on-demand streaming service. Australians can catch-up with shows from various genres and production companies.
If you are an Australian ex-pat living abroad in New Zealand, UK, Canada, Germany, UAE, or the USA, SBS is geo-restricted for you. To bypass regional restrictions and watch SBS outside Australia, follow this comprehensive guide carefully.
Unblock SBS on Demand Anywhere – Quick Guide
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Let’s get down to business. If you’re that eager to unblock SBS on Demand outside Australia, here’s everything you need to do:
- Get a VPN subscription.
ExpressVPN has blazing-fast servers in Australia.
- Get the VPN app on your device.
You can download it straight from the website or your native App Store.
- Activate the VPN software and sign in with your newly created account.
Once you sign in, open the server list.
- Pick an Australian server and hit connect.
When the connection is established, you’ll receive an Australian IP address.
- Launch SBS on Demand’s website or its dedicated application.
You can learn how to get SBS on your device in the step-by-step guide below.
- Stream SBS anywhere in the world.
Enjoy a huge library of content wherever you are.
Watch SBS Overseas – The Full Guide
The following is an in-depth guide on how to unblock SBS on Demand anywhere in the world and get it on any device you might be operating:
What You Need
To access SBS in your region, you must first have everything on the list below:
- A VPN subscription.
- SBS on Demand account.
- A device that supports SBS on Demand.
Can I Watch SBS TV Outside Australia?
SBS is one of the most popular channels in the Land Down Under. In fact, back in 2020, the channel’s viewership reached around 11.9 million Australians each month.
Regardless of this popularity, the channel only operates within Australian borders. In other words, if you live in the US, UK, Canada, and elsewhere overseas, SBS will block your access immediately.
You see, the channel geo-blocks its content abroad. It looks up your IP address to determine where your traffic is coming from. Once it figures out your location and it’s not in Australia, one of these error messages will pop up:
- “Content unavailable in your location.”
- “Most of our content is only available to stream within Australia due to publishing rights.”
- “License request failed (DRM_FAILED_LICENSE_REQUEST).”
- “There was an error while fetching the video.”
- “Playback Error. We aren’t sure what went wrong, sorry!”
- “Sorry, due to publishing rights, the content you are trying to watch is currently not available outside of Australia.”
The main issue is that any non-Australian IP address is geo-blocked. The workaround is using a VPN to get one and access SBS on Demand wherever you may be. Just follow the steps above and you’ll get the job done.
What a VPN Can Do!
A Virtual Private Network is the ultimate tool for a more independent internet experience. With a VPN connection, you get to surf the web safely and anonymously.
A VPN might be your ticket to unblock streaming services all over the world, but it surely doesn’t stop there. You can benefit a lot from having a reputable VPN:
- When you connect to an Australian VPN server, your streaming device will appear to be located in Australia. Hence, you can watch all Australian channels abroad. This including SBS, TenPlay, ABC iView, Plus7, and more.
- Even if you are not tech-savvy, you can download and install a VPN app on your Android, iPhone, iPad, PC, or Mac. All that’s left to do from there is connecting to an Australian VPN server.
- To get access to geo-restricted channels from other regions, connect to a VPN server located in those regions.
- As long as you are connected to the VPN server, all your traffic is securely encrypted.
Many users complain about a drop in Internet speeds when using a VPN. While this is inevitable, some VPN providers offer faster servers than others.
We’ve tested many of them. ExpressVPN has given me the best streaming experience when trying to unblock SBS outside Australia.
But that doesn’t mean that it’s the only one capable of fulfilling the task. Check other top VPNs for SBS on Demand in the table below.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
How to Create an SBS on Demand Account Outside Australia
Now that you have a VPN and know how to use it, let us show you how you can create an SBS TV account anywhere outside the Land Down Under:
- First, launch your VPN and connect to an Australian server.
- Next, open your preferred browser and visit https://www.sbs.com.au/
- On the top right of the screen, click on Sign In/Create An Account.
- Here, you can either choose to sign in with a Social Media account or click on Create an Account, well, to sign up.
- If you choose to create your own account, fill in the necessary details, and select Create Account.
- You can now sign in to SBS on Demand and stream your favorite content anywhere.
How to Get SBS on Demand on Any Device Outside Australia
Since you’ve reached this part, we’re going to assume that you already have a VPN subscription, along with an SBS account. Now, it’s time to learn how to get the channel on the device you’re using:
To get SBS on Demand on Apple TV, make sure to follow the steps below:
- First, set up an Australian VPN connection on your router.
- Next, turn on your Apple TV device and change its App Store region to Australia.
- Download and install the SBS on-Demand app.
- Launch SBS and sign in.
- Start streaming your favorite content wherever you are.
If you’re using a Smart TV as your streaming hub, here’s what you need to do:
- Install the VPN on your router and connect to an Australian server.
- Launch your Smart TV and change its Store’s region to Australia:
- Get the SBS on Demand app, sign in, and stream away.
Chromecast doesn’t have a native SBS application. In order to watch the channel’s content through the device, these steps are required:
- Configure your VPN on your router and connect to an Australian server.
- Download and install the SBS on Demand app on your iOS or Android device.
- Launch SBS and sign in.
- Play a video and cast it directly to your Chromecast.
If you have an Android mobile, tablet, or TV (Android 7 & above) such as Sony TV, this is what you have to do:
- Download and install the VPN application on your device.
- Connect to an Australian server.
- Change your Google Play Store’s region to Australia and download SBS on Demand.
- Launch the channel’s app and sign in.
- Enjoy a wide range of TV shows anywhere.
On iPhone and iPad, these steps should be followed in order to get SBS outside the Land Down Under:
- Install the VPN app on your iOS device and connect to an Australian server.
- Switch your Apple Store’s region to Australia and get the SBS on Demand app.
- Launch the channel and sign in.
- Start watching wherever you are.
The PC and Mac method is probably the easiest. All you have to do is this:
- Download the VPN app and connect to an Australian server.
- Open your browser and head over to https://www.sbs.com.au/
- SIgn in with your account.
Here’s what you need to do if you want to watch SBS on Fire TV:
- Download the VPN app on your Fire Stick and connect to an Australian server.
- Change your Amazon Account’s country to Australia and get the SBS app.
- You can also sideload it directly to your FireStick.
- Launch the app, sign in, and watch SBS anywhere.
SBS On Demand Anywhere – Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve answered most of your questions above, but we’re sure that you have more. Here are some of our readers’ inquiries:
Is SBS on Demand Free?
Yes. SBS requires no subscription, whatsoever. You can stream everything the channel has to offer free of cost.
Do I Need an Account to Stream SBS on Demand?
Yes. Without an account, you cannot watch anything on SBS. In fact, the moment you launch a video, the channel asks you to sign in.
Why Am I Getting “There was an error while fetching the video”?
That’s the error you get when you use the SBS on-Demand application on your Android device while overseas. There’s nothing wrong with your internet or the video itself.
Why Do I Keep Seeing Ads?
SBS on-Demand is a free channel that relies on a limited amount of ads to avoid having to ask users to pay a subscription fee.
Also, they use the revenue to invest in new content and improve their service.
How Long Do Programs Remain on SBS?
Due to rights agreements, titles that are added as catch-up from TV are available for 14 or 30 days. In some instances, the programs stay for about 7 days.
Can I Skip Ads on SBS on-Demand?
Sadly, no. You have to sit through the entire ad in order to view your content afterward.
What Devices is SBS on Demand Available on?
You can watch SBS on the following platforms:
- Amazon Fire Stick
- Android TV
- Smart TV
- Apple TV
- Chromecast (Casting)
What to Watch on SBS on Demand?
SBS has dozens of shows to binge-watch. The list below showcases some of the most-watched:
- War of the Worlds
- Who Do You Think You Are?
- Thin Ice
- Family Rules
- Planet America
- Secrets of our Cities
- The Tailings
How to Unblock and Watch SBS outside Australia – VPN vs. Smart DNS
SBS on Demand is a great way to keep up with everything that has to do with quality Australian television. Thus, many people who live outside Australia are searching for methods to unblock SBS and other Australian channels outside Australia.
Now, you have all the means to do so. If you have any question, let us know in the comment section below.
Using a vpn and still getting “there was an error while fetching the video” any ideas?
I’ve used VPNExpress for years. Now in Canada. Set location to Sydney and tried SBS On Demand…. all I get is the black screen. Tried ABC iVeiw and that fails with errors. Have they finally learnt how to block VPNExpress?
I am in HK and have a Samsung Smart TV. I would like to watch SBS, ABC and etc. Apart from subscribing VPN service, what other hardware should I purchase e.g. AppleTV, Android TV box. How difficult to set up.