SBS On Demand is a free Australian video-on-demand streaming service. Australians can catch-up with shows such as Fargo, If You Are The One, Maison Close, Masters of Sex, , Insight, Hollands Hope, and The Principal. If you are an Australia expat living abroad in New Zealand, UK, Canada, Singapore, UAE, or USA, SBS is geo-restricted for you. To bypass regional restrictions and watch SBS outside Australia, use VPN or Smart DNS proxies.
How to Unblock and Watch SBS outside Australia with VPN or Smart DNS Proxy
How to Watch SBS Outside Australia – VPN Solution
“Sorry, due to publishing rights, the content you are trying to watch is currently not available outside of Australia.” That is the location error you see when trying to watch any video on SBS On Demand outside Australia. In short, SBS takes note of your IP address which in turn reveals your location. Any non-Australian IP address is geoblocked. The workaround is using VPN to get an Australian IP address. To do so, setup VPN on your device, connect to an Australian VPN servers, and watch SBS outside Australia.
- When you connect to an Australian VPN server, your streaming device will appear to be located in Australia. Hence, you can watch all Australian channels abroad. This including SBS, TenPlay, ABC iView, Plus7, and more.
- Even if you are not tech-savvy, you can download and install a VPN app on your Android, iPhone, iPad, PC, or Mac. All that’s left to do from there is connecting to an Australian VPN server.
- To get access to geo-restricted channels from other regions, connect to a VPN server located in those regions.
- As long as you are connected to the VPN server, all your traffic is securely encrypted.
Many users complaints from drop in Internet speeds when using VPN. While this is inevitable, some VPN providers offer faster servers than others. I’ve tested many of them. ExpressVPN has given me the best streaming experience when trying to unblock SBS outside Australia.
Last Updated Yesterday
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
How to Unblock SBS Outside Australia – Smart DNS Workaround
Smart DNS can also be used to unblock geoblocked channels. With Smart DNS, you do not get a different IP address. Only a small part of your Internet connection is redirected. Keep in mind that whether Smart DNS unblocks SBS outside Australia or not depends on the Smart DNS proxy service you are using i.e. the list of channels that can be unblocked using Smart DNS is pre-determined by your Smart DNS proxy service.
- Unlocator is a Smart DNS proxy service that does support unblocking SBS On Demand outside Australia.
- Signing up with Unlocator is free and does not require a credit card.
- Unlike VPN, Smart DNS can be configured on all streaming devices. This includes Android, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Smart TV, PS4, PS3, or Xbox.
- When using Smart DNS, you get to unblock geoblocked channels from different countries at the same time. Watch American Netflix and SBS On Demand simultaneously.
To try out Smart DNS, sign up for a free Unlocator trial. Setup guides for various devices are available as well.
SBS On Demand Compatible Devices
- Kindle Fire
- iOS Devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod)
- Android Devices.
- Smart TV
- Xbox One and Xbox 360.
How to Unblock and Watch SBS outside Australia – VPN vs. Smart DNS
Australian streaming channels are constantly offer a better range of content both in terms of quality and quantity. Thus, many people who live outside Australia are searching for methods to unblock SBS and other Australian channels outside Australia. Thanks to VPN and Smart DNS proxies this can be easily achieved.