If you have bypassed regional restrictions before, you are probably already aware of how Hola works on a Mac or PC browser. The problem is that streaming US Netflix on your small laptop screen might not be the best experience. Thus, a lot of people search for ways to setup Hola on Smart TV instead. The bad news is that Hola is not compatible with Smart TV i.e. Hola cannot be setup on your Smart TV. The good news is that there are better and safer alternatives that will allow you to unblock Netflix and other geoblocked channels on your Smart TV. Using Smart DNS or VPN, you can watch US Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Showtime, or Crackle outside USA on your Samsung, Sony, LG, Sharp, or Panasonic Smart TV.
How To Setup Hola on Smart TV – Enable VPN Smart DNS Proxy Alternatives
Is Hola Safe?
First of all, I would never recommend using Hola on any of your streaming devices. The saying ‘If it’s free, you’re the product’ has never been truer. Hola has been found to sell its users bandwidth, effectively turning them into botnets. There a safer alternatives you can use to both encrypt your traffic and access geoblocked content.
Setup Hola on Smart TV – Smart DNS Proxy Alternative
When it comes to Smart TVs, VPN has its disadvantage. No Smart TVs have a VPN client. That means you have to setup VPN on compatible router instead. Following VPN setup guides, this can be achieved. However, if your router does not support VPN, you have to buy one that does. That’s why in the case of Smart TV’s, using Smart DNS is more practical to unblock American Netflix, Crackle, BBC iPlayer, ITV, HBO Go, Hulu, and the likes.
- All Smart TVs are compatible with Smart DNS. Samsung, Sony Bravia, LG, Panasonic Viera, Vizio, Sharp, Toshiba, and Philips are all supported.
- Smart DNS can be directly configured on Smart TVs. No need to alter your router’s settings.
- Smart DNS does not slow down your Internet speed. Only a small portion of your traffic is redirected.
- DNS hijacking and transparent proxies can prevent Smart DNS from unblocking geoblocked channels on your Smart TV. If your ISP uses these methods, choose VPN to unblock US channels on your Smart TV.
Unlocator is one of the Smart DNS proxy services I highly recommend. They provide excellent customer service and their Smart TV setup guides are easy to follow. Signing up for an Unlocator trial is free and no credit card is needed.
Setup Hola on Smart TV – VPN Alternatives
There are two ways to ways to enable VPN on Smart TV. The first is setting up VPN on your router. The second is installing VPN on your Windows PC and enabling ‘Network sharing’. In that cases, your Smart TV will be connected to your PC and will share its VPN connection. The setup is not as straightforward as using Smart DNS, but it does have its benefits.
- Setting up VPN on your router and connecting to a US VPN server will make all your streaming devices, including Smart TVs appear to be located in the USA.
- Using an American VPN connection unblocks all US channels. Watch US Netflix, HBO GO, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Crackle, Showtime, and Vudu on your Smart TV.
- VPN adds an extra layer of security to your online browsing by encrypting all your traffic.
- Data encryption as well as channeling your connection through a VPN server drags your Internet speed down by around 15%.
One important feature the VPN provider you are using should have is keeping no logs of your browsing activity. 24/7 customer support is also very important. ExpressVPN tops my list of VPN providers for unblocking American and UK channels on Smart TVs.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
How to Setup Hola on Smart TV – Enable VPN or Smart DNS Proxy Alternatives
Both VPN and Smart DNS are definitely safer, more secure, and more compatible methods than Hola when it comes to bypassing regional restrictions and unblocking geo-restricted channels on Smart TV.