ExpressVPN VS PrivateVPN – Which VPN Should You Get?
ExpressVPN vs PrivateVPN: Which VPN should you subscribe to? When you’re about to commit to a particular VPN, you want to be sure that you’re making the right decision. If you’re stuck between ExpressVPN or PrivateVPN and are wondering whether you should opt to pay more or less for your VPN service, check out this comparative review and see for yourself how both providers compete.
ExpressVPN VS PrivateVPN
This time, we’re comparing the service offered by ExpressVPN to that offered by PrivateVPN. As always, the final decision is, of course, completely up to you. All we can do is present the facts and steer you in the right direction.
ExpressVPN VS PrivateVPN – Pricing
Let’s start by discussing the pricing plans for both ExpressVPN and PrivateVPN.
- $12.95 per month (Monthly plan)
- $9.99 per month (Bi-annual plan )
- $6.67 per month (Yearly plan)
- $8.21 per month (Monthly plan)
- $5.63 per month (3-month plan)
- $4.50 per month (Yearly plan)
It’s a known fact that ExpressVPN is one of the more expensive services on the market. As you can see, PrivateVPN’s prices are almost half of those of ExpressVPN.
Pricing Verdict: PrivateVPN
ExpressVPN VS PrivateVPN – Server Location and Number
Now, let’s see how many servers each VPN has on offer.
ExpressVPN stands at over 2000 servers in more than 94 countries. The servers are all optimized and have the ability to unblock channels like Netflix, BBC, Hulu, etc.
PrivateVPN offers a little over a hundred servers in 56 countries. While all servers have the ability to unblock geo-restrictions, some of PrivateVPN’s servers are dedicated to channels like BBC, Netflix, Hulu, and Sky.
Server Verdict: ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN VS PrivateVPN – Privacy and Security
- VPN Protocols: OpenVPN with TCP/UDP – SSTP – L2TP/IPsec – PPTP
- Encryptions: 256-bit AES encryption, AES-256-CBC, Data-channel Symmetric Encryption Scheme, and Forward Encryption.
- Zero-Log policy: ExpressVPN states that they have a strict no-log policy, and lucky for us there is evidence that supports that.
- VPN Protocols: OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, IKEv2, IPSec, SOCKS5 and HTTP Proxy.
- Encryptions: 2048-bit encryption with AES-256.
While it might seem that both VPNs offer similar security and privacy features, a point has to be docked out from PrivateVPN as the VPN protocols on offer are only available in full on Windows and Android devices. Their iOS app doesn’t fully support OpenVPN yet.
Privacy and Security verdict: ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN VS PrivateVPN – Customer Service
Both VPNs offer a live chat feature and an email support feature on their websites. However, looking a little further shows that PrivateVPN’s live chat support isn’t really live chat, but an email ticket system. While the support team is comprehensive and fast, it’s still not really live chat.
Customer Service Verdict: ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN VS PrivateVPN – Speed Tests
VPNs, by nature, slow down your internet speed because they re-route all of your traffic. That is why it is important that a VPN supports fast download speeds, or else what’s the point of using it for streaming and P2P sharing? We tested out the speeds for both ExpressVPN and PrivateVPN on the US and UK servers:
- ExpressVPN: the connection speed dropped by 11% for the US server and 11.9% for the UK server, while the upload speed dropped by 13.8% for the US server and 19.9% for the UK server.
- PrivateVPN: The connection speed dropped by 15.4% for the US server (for Netflix) and a 20.3% for the UK server, while upload speed dropped by 17.8% and 26.% respectively.
Speed Verdict: ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN VS PrivateVPN – Final Verdict
Based on the tests that we’ve done and the features offered by both ExpressVPN and PrivateVPN, I think it’s safe to say that ExpressVPN comes out as the clear winner. Even though PrivateVPN is significantly more affordable than ExpressVPN, its features don’t quite live up to the top-tier provider. Do not hesitate to read our ExpressVPN and PrivateVPN reviews to help you make a more educated decision. You can also check out the alternatives to both ExpressVPN and PrivateVPN if you decide that neither VPN works for you.
ExpressVPN vs PrivateVPN
Description: PrivateVPN is a solid VPN provider. However, the quality service ExpressVPN offers its users is almost impossible to rival.
Security & Privacy
Visit VPN Provider