How to fix Fortnite latency on PS4, Xbox One, PC, Android, iPhone, or iPad? Sometimes your Internet is working perfectly fine, and you’re one bullet away from killing all the monsters when out of nowhere the game you’re playing lags. The monster ends up killing you instead of you killing it due to a slow computer response. These particular pauses have had thousands of Fortnite players pulling their hair out in frustration wondering what could be causing this latency, and most importantly how can they fix it. If you really want to switch to playing on a mobile platform or any platform, then you have to do something about the lagging, fast. A world where online gamers have fast computers and faster Internet connection speeds doesn’t exist. No player is like the other as each has a different computer system and obviously a different Internet connection speed. However, there are ways to solve this latency problem. Read on to learn how you can reduce lags in Fortnite.
How to reduce lags in Fortnite
What is Lagging?
In conversational terms, lags are those annoying pauses that can happen to you during a game. In technical terms, lagging is the slow response of a computer or gaming device due to either a slow computer/device or a slow Internet connection. Game lagging is correlated to the consumption of bandwidth by thousands of users on a regular ISP server at a specific time. Meaning, your system may not be able to send and receive enough data due to a slow and inconsistent Internet connection. That is usually a common case with a shared wireless connection.
Why The Need for VPN in Fortnite
In a multiplayer game like Fortnite, if a player’s system is not responding, a message will appear on his/her screen that says, “Waiting for Server.” While other players in the game will see “Waiting for player: [player name].” That lag will eventually cost the player the game and he/she will be booted from it due to an irresolvable lag and a slow server. You need a VPN for all online games, not just Fortnite. Let us explain why. If you’re playing against gamers in different countries, you’ll most likely experience high lags. To mitigate this problem, you must connect to a server of a different country (more specifically where the other players are located), and a VPN allows you to easily connect to one of its high-speed servers no matter where you are in the world. If that’s not the case, and you’re still suffering from lags you’ll most definitely need a VPN optimized for gaming. Having one will enable you to:
- Play on a high-speed network.
- Buy new gaming titles early from other regions.,
- Avoid Fortnite error pop-up message.
- Decrease latency and lag.
- Bypass ISP throttling.
- Ensure security and accessibility.
- Change the Fortnite server you’re connected to.
How to Fix Lag in Fortnite with a VPN?
In order to reduce lag in Fortnite, you need to follow two steps. To begin with, we have to pinpoint your current ping in relation to the Fortnite servers:
- First, head over to this website.
- From the list of regions, choose the region that is closest to your actual location.
- Once that is done, click on ‘Ping’.
- You will get a result in milliseconds. Note it down.
Now that you know your ping times, it’s time to fix your Fortnite lag. Here’s what you need to do next:
- Sign up with a VPN service provider. Make sure that your VPN provider has a considerable number of VPN servers scattered around the world.
- Next, set up the VPN application on your PC, Mac, Android, or iOS device.
- From within the application, connect to a VPN server close to your real location.
- Once the VPN connection has been established, head back to deepfocus.io/fortnite_ping.php
- Re-do the ping test you’ve done earlier.
- Your ping time should be drastically reduced.
In case you aren’t totally satisfied with the results, simply connect to a different VPN server. Generally speaking, the closer the VPN server is to your true location, the better.
Best VPN for Fortnite
There’s a lot we can expect from ExpressVPN when playing Fortnite. This service provider has proven its efficiency with its optimized speeds and fast connections. It allows you to play Fortnite without any complications. You can also check out the Best VPN for Fortnite Review if you are unsure of which VPN service provider you should go for. For more information on other VPN service providers in the market have a look at the table below.
Additional Tips to Reduce Lag in Fortnite
In order to enjoy a lag-free Fortnite gaming experience, you’re going to have to improve your ping and lower your latency. Check out these tips below:
- Connect your PC to the router using an Ethernet network cable, this will stabilize your Internet connection. A wired Internet connection is generally better than a WiFi connection when it comes to online gaming.
- Go to game settings and lower the Resolution, Anti-aliasing, Shadow Quality, Texture Quality, and Virtual Sync.
- Close files or activities that take up a lot of ram and bandwidth. Stop downloads when possible.
- Close background processes (for both Windows & Mac gamers), such as Antivirus upgrades, Windows Updates, and Torrent clients and Download Managers.
- Consider enabling the QoS feature on your router for it prioritizes traffic so that more important traffic can pass first.
- Contact your internet service provider. Some ISPs have special pools for online gaming.
- Reboot your network hardware by unplugging your router and modem for 30 minutes.
- Disconnect other devices like tablet PCs, mobile phones, and other online devices.
- Switch your Nate type from ‘Restricted’ to ‘Moderate’ or ‘Open’. This has a tremendous effect on your download speeds and gaming experience, especially if you’re using a PS4 or Xbox One.
How to Reduce Fortnite Lag – Conclusion
Fortnite’s player base has been rising incredibly fast in the past few months, and we’re pretty sure developers won’t appreciate losing any gamers due to a decline in the game’s performance. Developers have to address the lagging issue really soon before gamers quit playing Fortnite for good. Until then, gamers will keep taking matters into their own hands and will be looking for ways to reduce the game’s latency. It would be a shame to have a quality game such as Fortnite bite the dust due to weak servers and well, lags!