How to watch BBC iPlayer in South Africa? BBC iPlayer only works in the UK, which is a bummer for every British expat and resident in countries like Australia, Canada, the US, and South Africa. 65 percent of South African Internet users who have daily access to the Internet cannot enjoy BBC iPlayer where they are due to rights issues and geo restrictions. BBC iPlayer is a popular streaming service that lets viewers watch some of the best free content on the web, ranging from TV shows and movies to live sports.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in South Africa
BBC iPlayer is Geoblocked in SA
Much of that content cannot be accessed by South African Internet users because of the IP that determines their location. In order to access BBC iPlayer’s content, the residents of South Africa will have to replace their IPs with a British one, and that can be achieved via a VPN or a Smart DNS proxy. A virtual private network is capable of unblocking material from anywhere around the globe while maintaining the highest security standards. Read on to learn how you can unblock BBC iPlayer in South Africa and stream its content on PC, Mac. Android, iPhone, and iPad using a VPN.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in South Africa Using a VPN
Installing a VPN on any of your devices is the easiest solution to getting BBC iPlayer blocked in South Africa. A VPN service encrypts users’ data before rerouting it through one of its designated servers (selected by the user). With BBC iPlayer, an Internet user in South Africa has to connect to a UK server in order to obtain a British IP address. That will make them appear as if they are actually located in Britan. With that spoof in location trick, BBC iPlayer won’t deny South African’s access to its app or website. Follow these steps below to learn how you can unblock BBC iPlayer in South Africa:
- Download and install the VPN application on your PC, Mac, Android, iOS device.
- Launch the VPN application and sign in using your VPN account.
- Now, connect to a UK VPN server. This is how you obtain a UK IP address.
- Finally, go to the BBC iPlayer website or launch the iPlayer application.
- Catch up with your favorite episodes of Miranda, Keeping Faith, Requiem, and Detectorists at any time.
If you use ExpressVPN, your chances of unblocking BBC iPlayer are super high. This service provider guarantees unblocking content from all over the world, including South Africa. ExpressVPN users can proxy their connection to 148 VPN server locations in 94 countries around the world. Connecting and using a VPN has never been easier thanks to their user-friendly applications and helpful customer service. Here’s where you get know which is the best VPN for BBC iPlayer. For more information on other service providers, check out the table below.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- 7-day free trial
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in South Africa Using a Smart DNS Proxy
Due to the heavy increase of geo-blocking activities, Smart DNS proxies were developed to help Internet users access geo-restricted content. With the heavy reliance on VPNs, there had to be another method around restrictions on content. But the same security standards don’t apply to Smart DNS proxies as they operate at faster speeds for not fully encrypting users’ data. The traffic specific to determining users’ geo-location gets redirected before reaching the Internet thus enabling users to access websites from anywhere. This is how you use a Smart DNS to watch BBC iPlayer in South Africa.
- First, head over to Unlocator and sign up for a free 7-day trial.
- Follow these videos/setup tutorials to configure Smart DNS on your streaming device.
- Go to BBC iPlayer’s website.
- Enjoy your unlimited access to all of BBC iPlayer’s content.
Watch BBC iPlayer in South Africa
South Africans will no longer encounter an error page when trying to access BBC iPlayer outside the UK. With a VPN or Smart DNS, all of their error related problems will be solved. British expats in South Africa or even residents there don’t have to suffer geo-restrictions of any kind as long as they can make use of VPNs and proxies. Let us know in the comment section below which VPN have you used to unblock BBC iPlayer in South Africa.