Geo restrictions and Location errors are pretty common these days. You are trying to purchase and item service. Or you are trying to stream your favourite movie. Then you get an error stating that your geographic location does not allow you to either access the site at hand or watch your favourite show. I had the same problem, so I looked at alternatives to spoof my location or change my IP address in order to unblock geo restricted content. So I created the simply guide below with tricks and hacks to avoid geographic restrictions. This works in UK, Australia, Canada and anywhere else on the globe
Bypass geo restrictions and location errors in a few minutes
Bypass geo restriction errors – The basics
Based on my research. You have two reliable choices, either VPN or SmartDNS. Each solution has it’s advantages and disadvantages. I will sum it up for you below.
If you are still in doubt whether you need to bypass a geolocation restriction. Here is a list of sites that are known to have geo restrictions : ABC, Adult Swim, Al Jazeera Sports, Are TV, A&E, Amazon Instant Video, AMC HD, Animal Planet, AOL TV, ARTE, Australian OPen, BBC iPlayer, BeIN Sports, BET Networks, BlinkBox, T20, Big Pond Video, Bloomberg, Bravo, Canal+, Cartoon Network, cbbc, CBC Television, CBS, Channel 4, CityTV, Comedy Central, Crackle Crunchy Roll, CTV, The CW, Deezer, Channel 5, Discovery, ABC Family, Disney Channel, DMAX, Dramafever, the Food Network, FOX, France 2 / 3/ 4/ 5 and France TV, FX, Global, Google Play, HBO, HGTV, History Channel, Hulu Plus, ITV, Lovefilm, Marvel, Max GO, MLB, MLS, MOG, MTV, Much, National Geographic, NBA tv, Netflix, NFL direct, NHL, NIckelodeon, Now TV, Pandora, PBS, PlayOn, Rhapsody, RDE, S4C, Showtime, Sky Italia, Sky Go uk, Speed, Spike TV, Sportsnet, Spotify, Star Sports, STV, SVT.se, Syfy, tbs, TCM, Televisa, ten, ten sport, wb.tv, tsn sports, turntable, tv.com, 3, UFC, Universal Sports, USA network, UTV, VH1, Vudu, Wat, WWE, Zattoo
Smart DNS Proxy to bypass geo restrictions
- You only need to change the DNS setting on your router
- Your traffic is not all encrypted, so traffic is not anonymous.
- You gain more speed as not all traffic has to go to the remote VPN server. This also means that not all of your traffic is spoofed.
- You can change Netflix regions using a drop down box if your DNS Proxy provider supports it.
- Make sure the site or channel you want to unblock is supported by the Smart DNS proxy you choose.
- All your devices are supported Apple TV, Roku, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android,Windows 8, Kindle fire, LG, OS x, Panasonic, smart TV,Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Roku, Samsung,Sony,Ubuntu,WD TV, Xbox 360, Xbox one,Windows. See Video and Picture guides for setup here.
- If your ISP applies DNS Hijacking and/or Transparent Proxies. Smart DNS Proxies wont work for you.
I personally have tested and I am still using Unlocator. They sport great speeds, 220 channels and growing, a Netflix region changer and a free 7 day trial. I also did do a performance review on Unlocator, that shows they have the fastest servers in the business.
VPN Solutions to bypass geo restrictions
- All your traffic is encrypted
- All you traffic appears from one location chosen. So you can unblock ALL sites for a specific country such as USA or UK
- Does not work on all devices, unless your router supports VPN. However the provider I use does provide easy to use apps for Android, Iphone,Ipad, Ipod, Mac and Windows.But your gaming consoles, and other streaming devices are likely a no go.
- Unlike Smart DNS, local sites that check location will break, as you now appear to be coming form the VPN server country.
- VPN will actively spoof your IP. Your location and online IP will change for all sites and services that you visit online.
- Your ISP does not know the final destination of your traffic and it cant interfere with your traffic. As a result Transparent proxies, DNS Hijacking, Sniffing and Eavesdropping by ISPs and otherwise wont work.
Below is a list of VPN providers, tested and assessed based on speed, reliability and support quality.
However, not all devices are supported by VPN “Smart TV, Apple TV are two popular devices that dont support VPN”. If you are trying to get those devices to work. See the below.
Bypass geo restrictions – Unblock your Internet
It is up to you to choose which solution you think is more appropriate. Either VPN or Smart DNS Proxies will help you overcome geo restrictions and protect your privacy. If you want a fast and easy solution to stream your favourite movies on Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, BBC Iplayer and Hulu use Smart DNS. If you want to be fully protected from intruders and do not care about a small speed hit and the limit of supported devices use VPN to bypass geo restrictions and protect your traffic at the same time.