I’ll let you in on a little secret. When I was in Japan, I was able to access BBC iPlayer despite geo-restrictions. It was the easiest thing ever! All I had to do was subscribe to a VPN. Do you want to know how? Keep on reading, and you’ll learn how I unblocked BBC iPlayer in Japan.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in Japan Easily
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in Japan Using a VPN
As a Britsih expat living in or traveling to Japan, you will find accessing BBC iPlayer there extremely hard. This is the message that you will probably encounter: “BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.”
BBC iPlayer Geo-Error
BBC iPlayer just like many other British online streaming services is only for UK viewers. Due to copyright issues and licensing agreements, the major streaming services prohibits users to access its services if they were not found on British grounds.
The VPN – which stands for Virtual Private Network – takes care of two things: data protection and modification. This tool creates a private network through which users’ data gets encrypted in with the protocols that the VPN applies. This process is initiated when the user connects to a server in the country of his/her choosing.
If the channel he/she wants to access is in the US, then he/she will pick a US server. Aside from encrypting the data, the VPN reroutes it through the server the user chose, making him/her appear to be connecting to the internet from there. Only then, the content provider / ISP will detect an IP address coming from a country where access is allowed. And that, my friends, is how you gain access to the content you want with a VPN. Here is a full layout of the steps:
- Obviously, you have to sign up for a VPN service.
- Once securing the connection, create a VPN account.
- Then, you have to download and install the app on the streaming device of your selection.
- Scan the app’s list of servers, and look for one in the UK.
- Connect to the UK server you found.
- Now, you’ll be provided with a British IP address that will make you look like you are in the UK.
- Stream what BBC iPlayer has to offer while you are in Japan.
BBC iPlayer Unblocked
I can’t think of a better VPN to use than ExpressVPN. First, it has an unbelievably large network of servers that facilitates connections to it. You can also connect to its services no matter where you are. With the encryption protocols it uses, you will remain secure and anonymous online.
Most importantly, ExpressVPN has the ability to unblock major streaming services like BBC iPlayer. In fact, it is excellent with almost all channels, websites, and services. If you want to check out other VPN service providers for BBC, the table below can help guide you through some of the best ones.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in Japan Using a VPN
A Smart DNS is a technology that was primarily created for unblocking purposes. It does mimic a VPN with the bypassing restrictions part. Other than that, a Smart DNS is not that secure. This tool reroutes all the data that is related to your geographical location through a designated server.
It is not the same as a VPN because it doesn’t encrypt data or hide IP addresses. Regardless of its lack of security, a Smart DNS does enable users to get a hold of restricted content. This is how you can use a Smart DNS to unblock BBC iPlayer while you are in Japan:
- Go check out Unlocator and sign up for the company’s free 7-day trial.
- To configure the Smart DNS on your streaming device, you’ll find these tutorials to be helpful.
- Now, visit BBC iPlayer’s website or app.
- You can finally enjoy your unlimited access to all that BBC iPlayer has in store.
Unlocator is a Smart DNS proxy that has a lot to offer. From its 7-day free trial to its unblocking of 200 channels, Unlocator proves to be the best Smart DNS on the market. You get to gain online freedom with little security. But, the good thing is you’ll be able to stream BBC iPlayer in Japan at fast speeds.
Watch BBC iPlayer in Japan
Are you are looking for a way to unblock BBC iPlayer in Japan? Well, now you have two: a VPN and a Smart DNS proxy. Unblocking BBC iPlayer in Japan has never been easier, just subscribe to either one of these services and stream away. So, which one is it going to be? Do share your picks down below.