Have you ever heard of streaming services such as CBC, CraveTV, TSN, or Shomi? Well, if you’re the US, hearing about them is all you can do as they’re not accessible outside of Canada. But the real question is, would you like to watch these Canadian services in the United States? It’s quite simple, just follow this guide and I’ll handle the rest.
How to Watch Canadian TV In the United States
Canadian TV and Geo-blocks in the US
If you happen to be a Canadian expat, you should know that traveling can actually create problems while using your usual services. That includes streaming channels that can only operate within Canadian soil. You see, once you leave the country, the moment you connect to the internet in a different region, you’ll receive a new IP address. That helps the Canadian channels to determine where you are at the moment. And by that, they’ll be inaccessible for viewing as they’re only watchable in Canada.
Let me give you an example regarding most of the Canadian channels. If you try to access them abroad, these geo-error messages will pop up:
- CTV: “This content is not currently available for viewing in your browser.”
- CBC: “Oops… We’re sorry, this content is not available in your location. If you believe you have received this message in error please contact us… Error 21.”
- TSN: “Content not available for viewing in your region.”
- Sportsnet: “Sportsnet Now is not available in your region.”
- CraveTV: “CraveTV is not available for use outside Canada.”
- CityTV: “All episodes/clips etc. that Citytv does not own exclusive copyrights to are geo-blocked to be accessible only from IP addresses within Canada.”
That’s just a quick look at the channels that Canada has within its region. Below, I’ll shed some more light on other services you’ll find worthy of access in the United States. Now, for the time being, let’s solve your problem. Do you want to stream Canadian TV in the US? Get a VPN and scroll a bit further.
How to Watch Canadian TV In the United States with a VPN
A VPN hides your real IP address and assigns you a new one in a different country based on the server you connect to. For example, if you connect to a server in the Canadian district, you’ll receive a Canadian IP address. Fortunately, that’s all you need to access geo-restricted content in that region.
VPNs also encrypt your network traffic, which enables you to browse the internet with a shield protecting your private data. In addition, it hides your IP address so that you can browse the web without being monitored by hackers, network administrators, or your Internet Service Provider (ISP). With that out of the way, let’s take a look at the instructions you need to follow in order to watch Canadian TV abroad, specifically in the United States.
- First of all, sign up with a VPN service. Make sure that this VPN provider comes with multiple VPN servers in Canada. If that’s what you need, I recommend using ExpressVPN.
- Download their VPN application directly from the website. You’ll find clients compatible with iOS, PC, Mac, Android, as well as Amazon Fire Stick.
- Once installed, launch the app and connect to a VPN server in Canada.
- Wait a few seconds till the connected button lights up in green.
- You are now browsing the web using a Canadian IP address. Stream Canadian channels anywhere overseas.
ExpressVPN would be your perfect companion if you wish for this to go right. If you’ve tried it and don’t seem to be too fond of its services, check out the following table as it highlights the best VPNs for Canada.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
Canadian TV 101
Most of the Canadian content is geo-restricted to Canada only. This means that people like you, me, and anyone who lives in the US won’t be able to access the amazing goods this country has to offer.
After you’re done with this guide, you’ll learn how to bypass regional restrictions and access Canadian TV in the United States. However, you might not know where to start. That’s why I’ve listed the top channels you’ll be able to unlock once you make use of a VPN:
- CBC News
- Crave TV
- Canadian Amazon Prime Video
- Canadian Netflix
- HGTV Canada
- Discovery Channel Canada
- Global TV
- Acorn TV
As for television shows, Canada has a wide range of series that are definitely binge-worthy in my opinion. Scripted television programming in Canada tends toward the shorter runs, just like what you get to see on BBC, or in other words, British television. That’s completely different from the longer runs that are available in the United States. If you want to get a head start and check out what’s worth your time on Canadian television, check out this list:
- Murdoch Mysteries
- Schitt’s Creek
- Kim’s Convenience
- Big Brother Canada
- Orphan Black
- Masterchef Canada
- Trailer Park Boys
- Saving Hope
- Real Housewives of Toronto
How to Watch Canadian TV in the United States – Conclusion
There you have it. Once you’re done with all the instructions I provided you with above, you can access Canadian websites abroad with ease. Remember, you need to pick a reputable VPN for the process. Don’t get tempted by VPNs that offer their services for free. Be careful what you invest your privacy in, the internet is quite dangerous if you approach it unprotected. So, get yourself a good VPN provider and watch the best Canadian TV in the United States.