Watch U.S. American Netflix on Roku – The basics
First things first. You need to create a U.S. account on Roku. To do so you’ll need to be able to fake your IP address so that it appears you’re living in the U.S. This is possible via VPN and Smart DNS.
If you have set up your Roku before, do the following:
- Reset it
- Use a VPN or Smart DNS Proxy Service
- Create an American account
- Add U.S. Netflix or any other geo-blocked channel to your Roku
VPN and Smart DNS are both able to unblock various channels and services that are geo-blocked see the above list for reference. As for VPN and Smart DNS, please see a description about either below. You will need one of the two for setting up your US Roku account and for streaming channels on Roku outside the USA.
How to unblock American Netflix on Roku using VPN Proxies
VPN is a virtual private network that gives you the ability to change your IP address to another country. That means that you’ll get to watch all the channels that are geo-blocked on your Roku including American Netflix. In addition to spoofing your IP address, VPN lets you do the following:
- Encrypt your online data completely which means that all your online activity is kept secure and hidden.
- VPN is fairly easy to set up on all sorts of devices such as Android, iPhone, iPad, PC, and Mac. Roku does not natively support VPN, so you need to set up VPN on your router for Roku to use VPN.
- Setting up a VPN on a U.S. server means that you’ll unblock U.S. content on your Roku. In case you need to watch UK content you need to switch to a UK server. Unless you actually do live in the UK, in that case, you need to disconnect VPN before being able to access geo-restricted local sites.
- VPN is very resilient against ISP mechanisms that break Smart DNS Proxy functionality. I.e. DNS Hijacking and ISP Transparent Proxies.
I personally do use ExpressVPN, mainly because of their great support and vast VPN country selection. You can basically change your IP to anywhere around the world.
In order to access US channels on Roku overseas, use these VPN providers.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
How to watch American Netflix on your Roku via Smart DNS Proxies
Alternatively, Smart DNS also allows you to change your online location in order to unblock online channels like U.S. Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Instant Video, WWE Network. Your local IP address is unchanged so you still get to access content that is exclusive to your region as well as unblocking channels from all around the globe. Smart DNS does operate in a fashion different to VPN, see below :
- With Smart DNS only the relevant Geo bits and pieces are redirected thus your Internet speed is preserved
- All devices are supported and setup is very straightforward. There are video and screenshot guides here if you want to get a taste.
- Unlike VPN, you do not need to change anything to watch content from different regions at the same time. In that sense, you can change your Netflix region, watch Hulu, Canal Plus, BBC Iplayer at the same time.
- Smart DNS Proxies do have a weakness against ISP restrictions such as DNS Hijacking and ISP Transparent Proxies. If your ISP applies either, you might have to go with VPN.
In addition to Netflix, the following channels can also be found on Rokus :
- Amazon Instant Video
- Hulu Plus
- HBO GO
- HBO Now
- Blockbuster on Demand
- WWE Network
- ABC Family