“Your device’s Internet connection is using an HTTP proxy which prevents playing your video.” That’s the Amazon Prime HTTP Proxy error many users have reported receiving recently. The error has been popping up on PC, Mac, Android, FireStick, PS4, Xbox, and Roku when Amazon Prime Video subscribers in UK, Canada, Australia, and other regions have set up a VPN or Smart DNS proxy on these devices. Is there a workaround that allows these users to watch American Amazon Prime outside the USA? Or should they simply give up and confine to their local Amazon Prime region instead?
How to Fix Amazon Prime HTTP Proxy Error?
The Amazon Prime HTTP Proxy Error – What Does It Mean?
“Your device’s Internet connection is using an HTTP proxy which prevents playing your video. Please close or disable any proxy programs and try again. For further assistance, please contact Amazon Customer Service at “www.amazon.com/videohelp” and refer to error 1042.”
That’s the error “HTTP Proxy Not Supported” message that has been showing up. Similarly to Netflix, Amazon has begun blacklisting the IP address of various VPN servers that would normally allow users to switch their Amazon Prime region. In case you get the Amazon Prime HTTP Proxy error, try connecting to a different American VPN server via your VPN app. If that doesn’t help, it’s time to subscribe to a VPN service that still works with Amazon Instant Video.
Bypass Amazon Prime HTTP Proxy Error – Use A VPN That Still Works
You can try contacting your VPN service’s support team and see if there’s a fix for the Amazon HTTP Proxy error. In case they aren’t able to help, it’s time to invest in a new VPN that still works with Amazon Prime.
ExpressVPN, one of the many VPN providers I tested out with Amazon Prime, proved to be quite impressive compared to the rest. I was easily able to watch Amazon Prime, despite being outside the US. At first, I didn’t think much of it but I signed up largely because I was sure I would get back my money if they didn’t deliver on what they promised. This was very well stipulated on their 30-day money-back guaranteed refund policy. Here are some other interesting details I found out about ExpressVPN:
- You also get to unblock American Netflix, as well as al other geo-specific channels, streamed within the US.
- Their support center is open 24 hours a day; meaning you can get any issues sorted out as soon as they arise.
- ExpressVPN provides easy software support for devices running on iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- ExpressVPN have a dedicated app for Amazon Fire TV and FireStick.
- Policies such as DNS hijacking or Transparent Proxies won’t have any effect on ExpressVPN.
- Up to 3 concurrent VPN connections are possible with ExpressVPN.
- ExpressVPN enables you to easily change and spoof your IP address. This guarantees anonymous surfing.
- ExpressVPN also offers its users Smart DNS proxies that can be configured on devices that do not support VPN. This includes PS4, Xbox One, Roku, and Smart TVs.
The other VPNs I tested out weren’t too bad. They’re still a good pick, but they quite don’t measure up to ExpressVPN as the best Amazon Prime Video VPN. You’re free to check the others out; here’s the list.
Last Updated Today
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
Smart DNS Proxy Alternative to Fix Amazon Prime HTTP Proxy Error
A Smart DNS proxy works by re-directing your URLs to a proxy server so as to fool the site you want to access into thinking that you are surfing from a certain region. Compared to a VPN, the functioning is different, but the result is the same. You get to access geo-restrictive sites like Amazon Prime. Some key points about Smart DNS are:
- When using Smart DNS, your IP address doesn’t change.
- With Smart DNS, your traffic is not encrypted. Your ISP will easily be able to see what you’re accessing online.
- Most devices are easily compatible with Smart DNS. They include: iPhone, iPad, Xbox, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Android, PS3/PS4, Chromecast, Roku, PC, and Mac
- Policies such as DNS hijacking or Transparent Proxies have a direct effect on Smart DNS.
- Internet speed is not affected.
A good Smart DNS service provider that I know happens to be Unlocator. Their list of sites that include Amazon Prime is impressive and is second only to their 7-day free trial offer, that allows you to see how well you’ll enjoy their service before signing up.
How to Fix Amazon Prime HTTP Proxy Error – Wrap Up
Have you tried any of the solutions we have suggested above to get around the Amazon Prime HTTP Proxy Error? How did it go? Are you currently using a VPN that still works with Amazon Prime? Let us know so we can add it to the list above.