Amazon Prime Video
, (previously known as Amazon Video On Demand and LOVEFiLM Instant
) is a video on demand (VOD) service similar to Netflix. It has a rich library that features the biggest shows, including The Man in the High Castle, Tom Clancey’s Jack Ryan, Hanna, The Grand Tour
, and much more. And to make things even more interesting, the service recently went global, which means you can subscribe to Amazon Prime
from almost anywhere. However, the content on display will differ according to each region
. So if you live in Hong Kong, you won’t have access to the same shows as in the US. But you can change all that by installing a VPN
service like ExpressVPN
or a Smart DNS proxy
How to watch American Amazon Prime Video outside USA
Watch American Amazon Prime Video outside the US with VPN
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) have the ability to make it look like you’re coming from a country of your choice i.e. you’ll appear to be surfing the web from the U.S. per instant although you’re actually living in London or Dubai. This is extremely helpful for many U.S. expats who want to enjoy services and Internet TV that is restricted to the United States. Expats outside USA (Australia, Canada, UK, Germany, Spain, France, and Dubai) can also greatly benefit from the many advantages of VPN:
- VPN allows you to anonymously surf the web so that streaming channels and other websites can’t track your online activity
- VPN will encrypt all your online data and thus shielding you from hackers and spies.
- VPN will give you access to various geo-restricted services and applications such as Amazon Instant Video (USA), US Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crackle and many more.
- Easily change and hide your I.P. address through VPN
- VPNs can work without any trouble even if your internet service provider uses DNS hijacking or Transparent Proxies.
Beware that some VPN services can hugely impact your internet speed. So be careful when choosing your VPN provider. Express VPN, for example, has minimal effect on internet speed based on our tests. It also has dedicated apps for Mac, PC, Android, iPhone, and iPad to aid you with your VPN setup.
How to Get American Amazon Prime Video Abroad
In order to spoof your geo-location and get American Amazon Prime Video outside the US, follow these steps. You should not have to register for a new Amazon account i.e. you can use any Amazon Prime account plus VPN to access American Amazon Prime.
- Sign up with ExpressVPN.
- Go to the ExpressVPN website or your app store to download and install the application on your PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
- Launch the app, sign in, and connect to a server from the United States.
- Head over to Amazon Prime Video or launch the Amazon Prime Video app.
- Access the American version of Amazon Prime Video from outside the USA.
ExpressVPN also offers a Smart DNS proxy for its users. You can install it on Roku, FireTV, Xbox, PS4, PS3, even Smart TVs, and routers. But please note that you cannot install a virtual private network on these devices because they are not compatible.
Furthermore, Smart DNS proxies allow you to work around that obstacle. If you have a Netflix subscription, you can also use ExpressVPN to unblock American Netflix from abroad.
The best VPN providers to watch Amazon Prime outside the US.
Last Updated Today
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
Some devices, like Xbox and Smart TV,s do not have VPN clients. A VPN compatible router is needed to solve this hurdle.
How to Unlock Amazon Prime Video using Smart DNS proxies
Smart DNS Proxies grant you access to websites, services, and applications that are exclusively available in other regions of the world. Unlike VPN, however, Smart DNS only redirects some chunks of your connection. Services such as BBC iPlayer, SkyGo, Amazon Instant Video, HBO GO, Hulu, and Crackle all are a fingertip away. By setting up Smart DNS, you can also benefit from:
- Smart DNS won’t affect your internet speed in any way.
- You can unblock geographically restricted services and access local websites at the same time because Smart DNS proxies don’t change your local I.P. address.
- Smart DNS grants you the ability to watch multinational streaming services simultaneously. This means you get to watch American Amazon Instant Video and UK’s Now TV at the same instant without applying any changes.
- Smart DNS works on every device, including your PC, iPhone, PS4, Xbox, Android, or Mac.
- But If your IPS implements DNS hijacking or Transparent proxies, Smart DNS will not function on your devices.
Be sure to choose a trusted Smart DNS provider. Unlocator, for example, has servers spread throughout the world and over 214 streaming channels to choose from. You may try the free 7-day trial period to test its services with no questions asked. Make sure to check out the service’s videos and guides on how to set up different devices here.
Amazon Prime Video is available on various devices and services:
- Kindle Mobile
- PlayStation 4 PS4
- PlayStation 3 PS3
- Wii U
- XBOX One
- XBOX 360
- Smart TVs
- Apple TV
- Sony Bravia TVs
- Panasonic Viera TVs
- TiVo series 2 and 3
The Bottom Line
By comparing the advantages and disadvantages of VPN with those of Smart DNS, you can swiftly make up your mind on which tool suits your needs the best. Whatever you choose, make sure you give us some feedback in the comment section below. We’d love to gain from your experiences when it comes to VPN or Smart DNS.