Which VPN is the best for Roku in 2019? It’s safe to say that Roku is the most popular streaming device today. Its list of compatible streaming services is expanding every day. Unfortunately, the channels that you can install and watch on Roku are limited if you live outside the USA. I bought it thinking I’d have unlimited access but was shocked when I saw all those location error messages. I wasn’t going to let my money go to waste, though. So after a little research, I discovered that I can unblock all the channels on Roku using a VPN. And you’ll also need it to bypass blackouts imposed on MLB.tv, NFL.tv, NHL Game Pass, and NBA League Pass. So, if you’d like to know what is the top VPN service for Roku devices as of 2019, read on.
Best Roku VPN – 2019 Review
A virtual private network, better known as VPN, can bypass geographic restrictions and media blackouts. You’ll need it if you want to fully make the best use of your Roku device.
This tool redirects your internet traffic to another network of your choice, then gives you another IP address from the country that you selected. In other words, if you connect to a server from the United States, you’ll get an American IP address.
And do you know why it’s so important to hide your actual Internet Protocol Address? It’s because the internet can pinpoint your global position through it. And since most streaming channels are geo-blocked outside their respective regions, you’ll need to change your IP to trick them.
You can also benefit from a lot more if you install a VPN on Roku, including:
- Privacy protection: VPNs encrypt your traffic and prevent anyone or anything from monitoring it. That includes internet service providers, hackers, and government agencies.
- Enhanced online security: Protect your data from malware, viruses, or hackers, especially when you’re connected to public WiFi networks.
- Bypassing internet censorship: VPNs help you bypass government censorship by rerouting your traffic to a server in another country.
How to Install VPN on Roku
You should note that the Roku neither supports VPN or Smart DNS natively. This leaves you with only three ways to install a VPN on your device:
- Your first option would be to install a VPN on your router. That way, Roku or any device that you use while connected to your WiFi network will also share the VPN connection.
However, certain routers do not support a VPN client, which is why you have to make sure you have a DD-WRT or Tomato based router. For a more detailed explanation, check out this guide.
- Also, you can skip the VPN altogether and use the Smart DNS proxy service that your provider offers instead. Not every VPN provides a proxy for users, so make sure you select one that does like ExpressVPN. Simply set up Smart DNS on your router so that you can connect Roku to the service as well.
Now, you’ll have access to US-restricted channels like HBO Go and Hulu, but if you want online privacy, keep in mind that proxies don’t encrypt your traffic.
Or, you can subscribe to another Smart DNS service like Unlocator, for example. This is an independent service that isn’t attached to any VPN, but it can bypass the streaming channels on Roku nonetheless. You’ll also benefit from a 7-day trial period.
- Setup a VPN on your PC/Mac and then create a virtual router and connect the Roku to it. You can find out how to do that in this guide.
Best Roku VPN in 2019
I have reviewed quite a lot of VPN services to save you all the trouble. You can find the final results in the table below. VPN services have been ranked according to their speed, servers, compatibility, support, and refund policies. Therefore, they are our undisputed Roku VPN as of 2019.
If you use ExpressVPN, which is our number one pick, you can directly set up DNS codes on your router. The service also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and can access American Netflix outside the USA.
Note that I did not include free VPNs in the list of the best VPN for Roku. These brands are and untrustworthy and risky to use, which is why I recommend that you avoid them.
Last Updated Yesterday
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
ExpressVPN – Best Roku VPN 2019
ExpressVPN – Best VPN for 2019
As I mentioned earlier, ExpressVPN sits top of the list, and for good reasons too. The company has thousands of servers all around the globe, which makes unblocking streaming channels really easy. Moreover, you can use it to access any Netflix library in the world, including the US. You’ll also unblock other US-restricted streaming channels on Roku like Showtime and Amazon Prime.
Furthermore, the brand allows you to connect up to three devices using the same account. And if you need any help, you can contact customer service employees, who are available round the clock.
- Smart DNS proxy.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- VPN apps for PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Access to American Netflix.
- Over 136 VPN locations in nearly 90 countries.
- No-logging policy.
- A bit expensive when compared to other services, but I say it’s worth it.
BulletVPN – Great VPN for Roku
BulletVPN – Best VPN 2019
Perhaps you haven’t heard of this VPN service yet but BulletVPN scored some pretty good results when put to the test.
Many providers don’t quite deliver on what they promise, so despite the name of the brand, I did not expect much speed when using it. However, I was surprised by the amazing speed rates that this company offers.
Furthermore, you can benefit from plenty of user-friendly setup guides and manuals on how to install VPNs on your router or create a virtual router on your Mac/PC.
But perhaps its only disadvantage is its small server network.
- High compatibility with apps for PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- Zero-log policy.
- Fast servers
- Small server network compared to other brands on this list.
NordVPN – Top VPN for Roku 2019
NordVPN – Best VPN 2019 Review Guide
If you’re looking for a VPN app that is easy to use, then NordVPN has answered your prayers. Their VPN apps for Android, iPhone, iPad, Mac, and PC, will be installed and ready to use in just a couple of minutes.
But it’s not just the apps that catch the eye. This brand also offers some great features, including a large server network and strong security features that include a double VPN. Moreover, their 30-day refund policy allows you to test the service before you make a full commitment.
- VPN servers in around 57 countries.
- Double VPN.
- 30-day refund period.
- User-friendly VPN apps.
- Some servers are a bit slow.
IPVanish – Best Roku VPN 2019
IPVanish – Top VPN in 2019 Review
IPVanish is a well-known and trusted provider in the VPN community. In fact, this is the best service you could ever install if you have a Kodi device. But it doesn’t just work well for Kodi. IPVanish offers much more features to take its status to elite.
First, the company is famous for providing fast speed rates for users. Also, it uses excellent security features and implements a strict no-logging policy, which means you can browse the internet safely and anonymously.
However, it has a disadvantage that may be a deal breaker for streaming fans: it doesn’t work with Netflix.
- Allows P2P traffic and torrenting
- Optimized for Kodi.
- 5 simultaneous connections using one account.
- Fast VPN server speeds.
- Only a 7-day refund period, which is short compared to the other brands.
- Doesn’t work with Netflix
Best Roku VPN in 2019 – Conclusion
Whether you wish to watch geo-restricted channels that are unavailable in your country or want to bypass blackouts, using VPN on your Roku is a must. Have you tried any of the VPNs we have suggested? Do you know of any other VPN that works great on Roku? Share your experiences in the comment section below.
Description: ExpressVPN is a VPN service that allows you to browse the web anonymously and unblock geo-restricted sites.
Operating System: Windows, OSX, Android, iOS
Application Category: Multimedia