So, you have an Xbox One and you’re having a lot of fun right? Well, I bet you are until some lagging and latencies occur. We all know that Xbox One features one of the top network hardware out of the three flagship consoles. However, you can make it perform even better if you make use of a good DNS server instead of your ISP’s. Learn how to do so in the following article.
How to Change DNS Settings on Xbox One
DNS – A Brief Intro
A DNS or Domain Name System Server helps resolve the IP address of the server you’re trying to connect to. In other words, take it as a dictionary that your browser uses to translate the URLs you enter into IPs.
Once you subscribe with an Internet Service Provider, they automatically assign you with all the details related to the internet. That includes their own servers that you can use. But servers provided by ISPs are usually not that reliable. They tend to be slow due to overuse and might give you a bit of frustration while using an Xbox One.
The solution to this issue is to switch DNS servers. If you happen to use another, you could increase your download speeds, reduce ping and latency and make your overall online experience better and safer.
How to Change DNS Server on Xbox One
Whether you want to use Cloudflare, Google, or other services, here’s how to set the default DNS on your Xbox One and (potentially) speed up your multiplayer connectivity.
- Turn on your Xbox One.
- On your controller, press the Xbox Button.
- Open the System tab and select Settings.
- Go to Network.
- Choose Network Settings > Advanced Settings.
- In IP Settings, write down your DNS in case you want to use it again for some reason.
- Now, select DNS Settings.
- Click on Manual.
- Enter your new DNS. (The one in the pic is an example)
- When you’re done, press B to exit.
- The Xbox will check your connection now to make sure that everything is working fine.
- You have successfully changed your DNS server.
Why Change DNS on Xbox One?
There are several reasons that force you to change your DNS server on Xbox One. Check them out below:
- Mitigate the issues of your ISP’s DNS outage.
- Provide better download results. Some content delivery networks use DNS to determine the nearest location to download from. This can result in being pointed to a closer download server, which means faster downloads.
- Many ISP’s servers redirect you to unknown sites. By changing your DNS server, you may be providing yourself with an additional layer of security.
- Some services offer Smart DNS features. Now, this is strictly for bypassing geo-restrictions. When you use Smart DNS, you’ll be able to stream the top channels located anywhere in the world by changing your online whereabouts. Usually, VPNs are the tools to use. However, some of them like ExpressVPN and BulletVPN provide a Smart DNS service. On the other hand, you can use a pure DNS client like Unlocator.
Is It Safe?
Changing your DNS server doesn’t grant you any kind of extra protection. They just don’t work that way. The same goes to Smart DNS servers that can grant you access to foreign streaming services. Your IP address doesn’t change and your data doesn’t get encrypted in the process. Therefore, you’ll be streaming geo-blocked channels without losing access to your local ones and lose internet speed respectively.
VPNs, on the other hand, are known for being “The” internet security tools. Although they unblock geo-restricted content, they also encrypt your data causing a slight drop in your connection.
If you prefer security over speed, then VPNs are the tool to choose. However, we’re talking about Xbox One here. It works best with a speedy connection. So, put security aside and use DNS for a better gaming experience.
Take a look at these services that offer Smart DNS:
ExpressVPN‘s MediaStreamer helps Xbox One to stream a wide array of popular geo-blocked sites. By using this feature, you have to remember that you won’t be operating its VPN service, which means that no extra layer of security will be present.
A VPN like BulletVPN offers blazing fast servers all around the world. You can unblock channels abroad and maintain a decent connection speed. However, with its Smart DNS feature, you can do so without having to worry about any drop in connection. This is perfect if you’re operating an Xbox One.
None security minded people may prefer a pure Smart DNS service like Unlocator. The best thing about this service is that it offers tutorials to each and every device out there if you’re not that familiar with the process. This way, even users new to the Smart DNS industry can learn how to configure it on their platforms.
As for internet protection, take a look at the top VPNs to use on Xbox in the table below.
Alter DNS Settings on Xbox One – Summing Up
That’s all folks. All you need to know about changing your DNS on Xbox One is presented in this article. Now you can use your console without having to worry about any latencies during an online multiplayer game. Change your DNS and enjoy a better Xbox One experience.